User avatar
Aug 17th 15 4:22 am
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th 08 11:02 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by chamekke » Aug 17th 15 4:22 am

Congratulations, Fabien! It's lovely.

User avatar
Aug 17th 15 3:51 pm
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by kyarazen » Aug 17th 15 3:51 pm

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I have a question.
I'm noticing most posts here use tetsubin...but not many clay kettles!
For those that have both clay and tetsubin, do you really notice a difference? I only use clay kettles at the moment, but I'm definitely willing to learn. 8)
i've pretty much drifted into using tetsubin (both kunzan and suzuki) and then am back into using clay kettles.

the difference is drastic and quite significant. if you brew some green tea or simply any tea with tetsubin boiled water, leave the tea in a cup for a few hours, you will return to see a really significantly darkened, sometimes even dark brown, blackish liquid in the cup.. this is due to the iron in the water reacting with tea pigments.

doesnt happen so much for clay kettles, unless you use a toko shudei pot to boil water, or some other clays that have high iron content.

olfactorily iron seem to give good heightening/intensitification/sharpening of aromas, but one has to watch the after taste which can become rough or at worse, metallic.

Aug 18th 15 7:09 pm
Posts: 509
Joined: Oct 8th 09 1:31 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 18th 15 7:09 pm

kyarazen wrote:
bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I have a question.
I'm noticing most posts here use tetsubin...but not many clay kettles!
For those that have both clay and tetsubin, do you really notice a difference? I only use clay kettles at the moment, but I'm definitely willing to learn. 8)
i've pretty much drifted into using tetsubin (both kunzan and suzuki) and then am back into using clay kettles.

the difference is drastic and quite significant. if you brew some green tea or simply any tea with tetsubin boiled water, leave the tea in a cup for a few hours, you will return to see a really significantly darkened, sometimes even dark brown, blackish liquid in the cup.. this is due to the iron in the water reacting with tea pigments.

doesnt happen so much for clay kettles, unless you use a toko shudei pot to boil water, or some other clays that have high iron content.

olfactorily iron seem to give good heightening/intensitification/sharpening of aromas, but one has to watch the after taste which can become rough or at worse, metallic.
Very cool, and good to know. Thank you. :)

User avatar
Oct 7th 15 11:03 am
Posts: 254
Joined: Sep 27th 13 1:26 am
Location: Europe

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by miig » Oct 7th 15 11:03 am

blairswhitaker wrote: Most of these kettle have one or two small urushi plugs in the base, the casting method leaves one or two small holes in the kettle and then these are filled with a mixture of iron sand and urushi. not all are built this way but most. This stuff does not deal well with being exposed to raw flame, but it can last for a very long time over electric or charcoal flame, though it quickly degrades if places on the heating source while the kettle is empty.
I still wonder about this... Urushi is basically a resin from a certain tree, right? How is it possible that this will withstand the hot temperatures of the kettle on charcoal fire?

I searched for some footage showing the production process, but the bottom hole part seems to be absend every time :)
The mold is opnened, no hole left... has it been sealed alredy? The spot in the center is brighter than the rest.
Bottom is seen at 1min59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50ItP0gvf8

same thing here at 28sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxZNrGw9DQ

one more time, 9min 50sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m2phhMAJIY

User avatar
Oct 7th 15 1:41 pm
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by kyarazen » Oct 7th 15 1:41 pm

urushi can stand high temperatures. i had an acquaintance in france whom repaired a broken pot with raw urushi and it worked well on flame after that. but still over time it will break down.. :) if urushi is well cured, it is so hard that metal cannot scratch it.

and yes.. tetsubins often have 2 urushi plugs at the base.. it is urushi + metal filings.
miig wrote:
I still wonder about this... Urushi is basically a resin from a certain tree, right? How is it possible that this will withstand the hot temperatures of the kettle on charcoal fire?

I searched for some footage showing the production process, but the bottom hole part seems to be absend every time :)
The mold is opnened, no hole left... has it been sealed alredy? The spot in the center is brighter than the rest.
Bottom is seen at 1min59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50ItP0gvf8

same thing here at 28sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxZNrGw9DQ

one more time, 9min 50sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m2phhMAJIY

User avatar
Oct 7th 15 2:32 pm
Posts: 254
Joined: Sep 27th 13 1:26 am
Location: Europe

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by miig » Oct 7th 15 2:32 pm

Thanks for the reply - great material, both your info and Urushi itself :mrgreen:

I may have found a video which shows the process - please see from 4.20 on - is he sealing the pinhole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8vhl8aj8JQ

User avatar
Oct 17th 15 4:33 pm
Posts: 254
Joined: Sep 27th 13 1:26 am
Location: Europe

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by miig » Oct 17th 15 4:33 pm

Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this. Its really so very - imposing, sturdy, massive, imposing and, well.. just so incredibly Japanese :) :) :)
Tetsu1a.jpg

Tetsu1b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by miig on Oct 17th 15 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Oct 17th 15 6:39 pm
Posts: 1152
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by William » Oct 17th 15 6:39 pm

Beautiful piece! :D

User avatar
Oct 20th 15 7:37 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by Tead Off » Oct 20th 15 7:37 am

Enjoy it! :D

User avatar
Oct 20th 15 11:49 am
Posts: 254
Joined: Sep 27th 13 1:26 am
Location: Europe

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by miig » Oct 20th 15 11:49 am

Thank you, I am!
Really a great addition :D

User avatar
Oct 22nd 15 2:27 pm
Posts: 49
Joined: Feb 3rd 12 10:24 pm

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by Tsubo » Oct 22nd 15 2:27 pm

miig wrote:Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this.
Nice item indeed ... take care, it's the beginning of the end ... :lol:
DSC05407.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Oct 22nd 15 3:34 pm
Posts: 254
Joined: Sep 27th 13 1:26 am
Location: Europe

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by miig » Oct 22nd 15 3:34 pm

hahaha, great Photo!
I'll do what I can to avoid that, but there are so many nice things on these auction platforms :roll:

User avatar
Oct 22nd 15 3:37 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by debunix » Oct 22nd 15 3:37 pm

miig wrote:Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this. Its really so very - imposing, sturdy, massive, imposing and, well.. just so incredibly Japanese :) :) :)
I missed this post when it first appeared, and am quite glad I clicked on the comments about it. Your kettle is simply gorgeous. Enjoy it!

User avatar
Oct 22nd 15 6:12 pm
Posts: 541
Joined: Aug 19th 15 11:03 am
Location: on the road

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by kuánglóng » Oct 22nd 15 6:12 pm

A heavy beauty - congrats!

Oct 22nd 15 6:52 pm
Posts: 223
Joined: Dec 22nd 12 7:05 pm

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by .m. » Oct 22nd 15 6:52 pm

Tsubo wrote:
miig wrote:Got my first real Tetsubin yesterday. Very happy I am about this.
Nice item indeed ... take care, it's the beginning of the end ... :lol:
DSC05407.JPG
Wow, such a nice collection Tsubo. Love that little nambu on the left.