User avatar
Sep 1st, '15, 14:32
Posts: 148
Joined: Sep 12th, '14, 00:37
Location: Wisconsin

Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by Jaymo » Sep 1st, '15, 14:32

Hi all! I'm looking to get a decent tetsubin. I emailed Hojo awhile back for a price list, but never got a response. I've looked around elsewhere online for awhile, but haven't really come across much else that looked good (aside from taking a risk on an older used one on eBay.) Can you recommend any other vendors I should look into for a decent one?

User avatar
Sep 1st, '15, 14:52
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by hobin » Sep 1st, '15, 14:52

Have a look here:
http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/i ... subin.html

unfortunately there aren't many left, but I guess you can ask Toru (the shop owner) for a particular testubin. He's really friendly and helpful :)

User avatar
Sep 1st, '15, 14:56
Posts: 1420
Joined: Oct 5th, '09, 05:03
Location: UK

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by Alex » Sep 1st, '15, 14:56

Yep Toru is great at requests. He can you anything! You want a toe? He can you a toe.

User avatar
Sep 1st, '15, 15:06
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by hobin » Sep 1st, '15, 15:06

Alex wrote:Yep Toru is great at requests. He can you anything! You want a toe? He can you a toe.
after all he's the teaware samurai :lol:

User avatar
Sep 1st, '15, 15:32
Posts: 1152
Joined: Jul 10th, '13, 01:38
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by William » Sep 1st, '15, 15:32

Jaymo wrote:Hi all! I'm looking to get a decent tetsubin. I emailed Hojo awhile back for a price list, but never got a response. I've looked around elsewhere online for awhile, but haven't really come across much else that looked good (aside from taking a risk on an older used one on eBay.) Can you recommend any other vendors I should look into for a decent one?
I honestly would try to email him again; sometimes can happen to not receive any response, but his tetsubin are really really good!

Ps. I still have on my laptop the price list dated late 2014, in case I can send it to you, if you want! :D

User avatar
Sep 2nd, '15, 00:13
Posts: 148
Joined: Sep 12th, '14, 00:37
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by Jaymo » Sep 2nd, '15, 00:13

William wrote:
I honestly would try to email him again; sometimes can happen to not receive any response, but his tetsubin are really really good!

Ps. I still have on my laptop the price list dated late 2014, in case I can send it to you, if you want! :D
I'll try him again, but in the meantime I wouldn't mind taking a look at the list you have. Even if it is out of date I'm still curious! I'll PM you my email address if that works.

User avatar
Sep 5th, '15, 12:15
Posts: 76
Joined: May 13th, '15, 17:13

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by TORamarn » Sep 5th, '15, 12:15


User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 00:55
Posts: 148
Joined: Sep 12th, '14, 00:37
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by Jaymo » Sep 6th, '15, 00:55

Thanks! Those are unfortunately way out of my price range. There are a few nice looking ones from Hojo that I thing are very afforable for me though! Now I'm just waiting to hopefully get a response back at some point. . .

User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 02:45
Posts: 160
Joined: Feb 17th, '15, 04:32
Location: Land of Appletea Tree

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by AT333 » Sep 6th, '15, 02:45

Jaymo wrote:
Thanks! Those are unfortunately way out of my price range. There are a few nice looking ones from Hojo that I thing are very afforable for me though! Now I'm just waiting to hopefully get a response back at some point. . .
The waiting period is 3-5 years for a Suzuki tetsubin. You can start saving for it or sell it for a profit when they deliver your order. Many people do that. It has become a speculative commodity but the quality is there. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 02:55
Posts: 148
Joined: Sep 12th, '14, 00:37
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by Jaymo » Sep 6th, '15, 02:55

AT333 wrote:
Jaymo wrote:
Thanks! Those are unfortunately way out of my price range. There are a few nice looking ones from Hojo that I thing are very afforable for me though! Now I'm just waiting to hopefully get a response back at some point. . .
The waiting period is 3-5 years for a Suzuki tetsubin. You can start saving for it or sell it for a profit when they deliver your order. Many people do that. It has become a speculative commodity but the quality is there. :mrgreen:
Ha! Nice. At that point I just turn to a ceramic kettle for the time being, I think. I'll give Hojo another few weeks to hopefully get back to me before I give in and pick up a Lin's or Anta kettle, though. A tetsubin would be so nice!

User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 05:07
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by kyarazen » Sep 6th, '15, 05:07

AT333 wrote: The waiting period is 3-5 years for a Suzuki tetsubin. You can start saving for it or sell it for a profit when they deliver your order. Many people do that. It has become a speculative commodity but the quality is there. :mrgreen:
but if you want one fast, you can consider paying someone residing in japan a finder's fee. i paid 20% finder's fee for a pair of suzuki last year, together with exchange rate and remittance fees it went to about 35%. money versus waiting a few years. the quality was OK, could be top of its class within current tetsubin manufacturers, but if one were to nitpick there are still some imperfections, where maybe the 13th S.M might not have tolerated.

User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 07:27
Posts: 160
Joined: Feb 17th, '15, 04:32
Location: Land of Appletea Tree

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by AT333 » Sep 6th, '15, 07:27

kyarazen wrote:
AT333 wrote: The waiting period is 3-5 years for a Suzuki tetsubin. You can start saving for it or sell it for a profit when they deliver your order. Many people do that. It has become a speculative commodity but the quality is there. :mrgreen:
but if you want one fast, you can consider paying someone residing in japan a finder's fee. i paid 20% finder's fee for a pair of suzuki last year, together with exchange rate and remittance fees it went to about 35%. money versus waiting a few years. the quality was OK, could be top of its class within current tetsubin manufacturers, but if one were to nitpick there are still some imperfections, where maybe the 13th S.M might not have tolerated.
Thank you Sir. I don't have budget now. Maybe if I have enough, I will go through a finder. Or perhaps I should order now and start saving. If I don't save enough by then I will sell for profit. Hey! I am taking my own advice but I like your idea too. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 13:50
Posts: 76
Joined: May 13th, '15, 17:13

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by TORamarn » Sep 6th, '15, 13:50

This one is quite affordable but it's out of order at the moment. You can ask Florent when will he get his new stock.

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... ucts_id=60

User avatar
Sep 6th, '15, 13:57
Posts: 76
Joined: May 13th, '15, 17:13

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by TORamarn » Sep 6th, '15, 13:57

As for Hojo you should email him again. There're a couple of times when he saw my emails only a few weeks later. :shock: He might be a little busy preparing for his upcoming long trip.

User avatar
Sep 7th, '15, 01:58
Posts: 148
Joined: Sep 12th, '14, 00:37
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Recommended tetsubin vendors?

by Jaymo » Sep 7th, '15, 01:58

TORamarn wrote:As for Hojo you should email him again. There're a couple of times when he saw my emails only a few weeks later. :shock: He might be a little busy preparing for his upcoming long trip.
I sent him 2 already. I figured I'd wait a week or so before trying again in case he was traveling or something.

+ Post Reply