Oct 16th, '15, 11:54

Japanese Jauce auction on Tetsubin - Some Infos, please

by miig » Oct 16th, '15, 11:54

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased this nice Tetsubin which arrived today:
http://www.jauce.com/auction/j365826808

Now I'm wondering if someone who can speak Japanese tell me what it says about the kettle - is there any info regarding the artist who made it? The automatic translator doesn't work very well on that regard.

Any other info or opinion would be great, too... execpt if the kettle is 25$ at Walmart.. if this is the case, please don't tell me :mrgreen:

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy with it! I just would love to extract the info there is before the auction is deleted from Jauce.

Thank you!

Oct 16th, '15, 12:26

Re: Japanese Jauce auction on Tetsubin - Some Infos, please

by hobin » Oct 16th, '15, 12:26

I don't speak japanese but imtranslator says it's a nanbu morioka (highly esteemed foundry) with a pine needles motif and to me it looks like a beautiful tetsubin. I've seen quite a few of these but not in this state, which is almost new... rust is only on the surface, nothing to worry about. :D

Oct 16th, '15, 12:34

by miig » Oct 16th, '15, 12:34

Thank you for the info!
Yes, actually I didn't want to spend more than 20k Yen, but then I saw this, especially the interior, and was lost :)

Oct 16th, '15, 12:54

by hobin » Oct 16th, '15, 12:54

from the seal it could be a suzuki morihisa
compare this:
http://www.jauce.com/auction/n147274565

Oct 16th, '15, 13:37

by miig » Oct 16th, '15, 13:37

interesting! The pot certainly looks similar in proportins. The second letter in the left row looks different to me, but I don't have no idea about Japanese :)
I guess that worse things could happen to the kettle than it to be from S.M. :)

Oct 16th, '15, 14:02

by hobin » Oct 16th, '15, 14:02

yes, there are two different charachters, but that could mean they're seals from different periods/different artists. it's just a conjecture as most of the character are the same and as you pointed out their styles are very close.
An expert probably wouldn't need to look for the seal to recognise a maker... but I'm not an expert anyway :D
Let's hope some Japanese speaker comes and gives us the right translation!

Oct 16th, '15, 14:42

by miig » Oct 16th, '15, 14:42

Yes that'd be great! :mrgreen:

Oct 16th, '15, 19:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Oct 16th, '15, 19:36

The auction says that the seal characters are 盛岡住木村造.

盛岡 (Morioka)
住 (dwelling)
木村 (Kimura -- does have other pronunciations, but Kimura would be most standard).
造 (made/created)

Oct 17th, '15, 02:17

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Oct 17th, '15, 02:17

Miig,

Congratulations on a beautiful kettle and a great price. I appreciate the outside patina coupled with the interior being in such great condition. Someone seems to have properly cared for the kettle. Are you going to treat the kettle with green tea? We're you wanting a Nanbu kettle from the beginning or just drawn to this particular kettle?

Blessings!

Oct 17th, '15, 05:35

by miig » Oct 17th, '15, 05:35

Drax wrote:The auction says that the seal characters are 盛岡住木村造.

盛岡 (Morioka)
住 (dwelling)
木村 (Kimura -- does have other pronunciations, but Kimura would be most standard).
造 (made/created)
Hi Drax, thank you very much for your help! I'm not sure if I get all the info, but that is what I extracted:

- Morioka ist the city where they make so much cast iron ware, that I found out.
- dwelling means that the caster has his(her) residence there.
- Kimura is a common first name? But this would be like saying: This book was written by Max. I guess that is it a specific Kimura?
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Miig,

Congratulations on a beautiful kettle and a great price. I appreciate the outside patina coupled with the interior being in such great condition. Someone seems to have properly cared for the kettle. Are you going to treat the kettle with green tea? We're you wanting a Nanbu kettle from the beginning or just drawn to this particular kettle?

Blessings!
Hi TeaArt,
thanks for your nice comment! I Must say that it looks even better in real than on the photos. I've been boiling water and pouring it out for some time now, because its odor is quite intense. Also, I boiled green tea in it once.
Right now, I'm super-motivated and would love to treat all the rusty spots :mrgreen: For where the boiled tea doesn't reach, I'm following this guide:
http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/i ... _rust.html

I hope I can keep the kettle in such good shape, Its supposed to last some time :)

Oct 17th, '15, 07:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Oct 17th, '15, 07:05

miig wrote:
Drax wrote:The auction says that the seal characters are 盛岡住木村造.

盛岡 (Morioka)
住 (dwelling)
造 (made/created)
Hi Drax, thank you very much for your help! I'm not sure if I get all the info, but that is what I extracted:

- Morioka ist the city where they make so much cast iron ware, that I found out.
- dwelling means that the caster has his(her) residence there.
- Kimura is a common first name? But this would be like saying: This book was written by Max. I guess that is it a specific Kimura?
Yes, sorry, I was in a bit of a rush.

Kimura is a common last name (18th most common, according to Wikipedia), on the order of Jackson or Thompson in the US. It is likely the last name of the maker.

Oct 17th, '15, 07:10

by miig » Oct 17th, '15, 07:10

Once again, thank you very much for your help!

Oct 17th, '15, 09:32

by miig » Oct 17th, '15, 09:32

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Miig,
We're you wanting a Nanbu kettle from the beginning or just drawn to this particular kettle?
No, I'm not well-informed about the different types of kettles or the manufacturers. I searched Jauce for kettles which weren't too small and looked interesting, and this one just - spoke to me. Especially the photos of the interior sealed the deal :)

This one is quite well-documented with lots of photos of all possible sides and angles, and the seller has many, many good ratings. This assured me in the foreign Japanese market.

+ Post Reply