May 31st, '17, 06:22

Hard Water and White Patina - Internal of Tetsubin surface

by tcsmeg » May 31st, '17, 06:22

It is a common sense that under "harder" water a white patina will be created within weeks of usages.

Nevertheless in the event that there is NO availability of hard water can the water be harden manually.

Searching the google all end up adding more salt but logically the salt water will create more rust to the iron tetsubin.

If anybody know how to create hard water for easy patina creation on the internal surface of the tetsubin?

My country is blessed with water ppm reading less than 50 and I am understood the desirable water for the patina creation is 200-300 ppm.

May 31st, '17, 09:31

Re: Hard Water and White Patina - Internal of Tetsubin surface

by kuánglóng » May 31st, '17, 09:31

tcsmeg wrote: Nevertheless in the event that there is NO availability of hard water can the water be harden manually.
What about this? No more or less than a starting point, but you get the idea.
http://babelcarp.org/babelcarp/fakemineralwater.html
Last edited by kuánglóng on May 31st, '17, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, '17, 09:34

by Chris418 » May 31st, '17, 09:34

I think the key is to use it as often a you can.

Chris.

May 31st, '17, 11:32

by kyarazen » May 31st, '17, 11:32

tcsmeg wrote: It is a common sense that under "harder" water a white patina will be created within weeks of usages.

Nevertheless in the event that there is NO availability of hard water can the water be harden manually.

Searching the google all end up adding more salt but logically the salt water will create more rust to the iron tetsubin.

If anybody know how to create hard water for easy patina creation on the internal surface of the tetsubin?

My country is blessed with water ppm reading less than 50 and I am understood the desirable water for the patina creation is 200-300 ppm.
buy a couple bottles of vittel. if not, the chinese have some stones like mai-fan stone that you can add in water

May 31st, '17, 12:24

by tcsmeg » May 31st, '17, 12:24

kuánglóng wrote:
tcsmeg wrote: Nevertheless in the event that there is NO availability of hard water can the water be harden manually.
thanks

May 31st, '17, 12:26

by tcsmeg » May 31st, '17, 12:26

kyarazen wrote:
tcsmeg wrote: It is a common sense that under "harder" water a white patina will be created within weeks of usages.

buy a couple bottles of vittel. if not, the chinese have some stones like mai-fan stone that you can add in water

Vittle would be too expensive. Local Mineral water reading is about 85ppm. The mai fan stone effect yet to try. Thanks .

May 31st, '17, 12:45

by tcsmeg » May 31st, '17, 12:45

Chris418 wrote: I think the key is to use it as often a you can.

Chris.
I don't think it will work Chris. I have try it 5 hour/days for 3 month. Still no result at all. Thanks anyway.

May 31st, '17, 12:46

by tcsmeg » May 31st, '17, 12:46

kuánglóng wrote:
But I worry the epsom salt will expedite more rust on the tetsubin.

May 31st, '17, 14:08

by Chris418 » May 31st, '17, 14:08

I have mine since maybe one year and i don't use it as often à I should use it.
Spring water I use is between 50-80ppm

Maybe I'm wrong but the scale build up by boiling, then drying, then boiling... etc.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

May 31st, '17, 17:40

by kuánglóng » May 31st, '17, 17:40

tcsmeg wrote: But I worry the epsom salt will expedite more rust on the tetsubin.
As will all sorts of mineral waters even distilled water if you don't completely dry it after each usage (just empty it and put it on a heat source until the last bit of water has completely evaporated).

Jun 15th, '17, 13:57

by TORamarn » Jun 15th, '17, 13:57

How about getting Calcium Carbonate powder (CaCO3) and put in the water? It's super cheap. In my country a 250g pack costs less than $2.

May 1st, '20, 21:17

by fortnite » May 1st, '20, 21:17

calcium carbonate <a href="https://watersoftenershub.com/best-wate ... with-iron/"> can </a> help you to make water harder, its cheaper and it will work.

+ Post Reply