Jun 8th, '17, 20:04

Iwachu Tetsubin W/ Peeling Enamel

by Aquarama » Jun 8th, '17, 20:04

I have a Iwachu Tetsubin which I have had for about a month and used under 10 times and I noticed that the enamel is peeing off of it's interior. Is this normal? Should I try to return it? If I do return it what should buy instead?

I use the tetsubin mostly for green and herbal teas, so if I replace it I would want something nonporous. I have a couple of glass teapots but I rather use something a bit more traditional if I can.

Jun 10th, '17, 06:29

Re: Iwachu Tetsubin W/ Peeling Enamel

by miig » Jun 10th, '17, 06:29

I'd advise you to look into Kyusus then. Traditional, beautiful, practical. For me, a Tetsubin is best without enamel and is used to boil water, not to make tea. I don't say that this isn't allowed or anything, but the traditional use is: Kettle without enamel, heat it up, empty it right away so it'll dry while the iron is still hot. It can be used as a teapot with enamel glazing inside, but will be kind of fragile under certain conditions.

Is it real enamel inside, or just Urushi? The latter will be less glossy and have irregularities, also it'll be a thin layer. This is used to protect Tetsubin, but will come off eventually, which is intended, but this should take some time.

How exactly did you use your kettle? Did you put it on a stove, boil water in it or something like that? Or did you just use it to make tea? In that case, did you leave it standing for longer periods? Maybe you can upload a photo or two, this would help as well.

Jun 12th, '17, 18:09

by Aquarama » Jun 12th, '17, 18:09

I don't know what the actual interior is. It is glossy. Urushi is a really expensive so I doubt that's the interior coating.

As far as using it goes I just poured hot water into it to brew tea. It's never been on the stove. I don't leave tea in it long after I've finished drinking.

Jun 13th, '17, 07:34

by miig » Jun 13th, '17, 07:34

Hi, ok. If you could provide a photo or two, we could probably say more.

Jun 13th, '17, 16:07

by .m. » Jun 13th, '17, 16:07

Aquarama wrote: I have a Iwachu Tetsubin which I have had for about a month and used under 10 times and I noticed that the enamel is peeing off of it's interior. Is this normal? Should I try to return it? If I do return it what should buy instead?

I use the tetsubin mostly for green and herbal teas, so if I replace it I would want something nonporous. I have a couple of glass teapots but I rather use something a bit more traditional if I can.
You should definitely return it if you can. You can get a nice porcelain or stoneware teapot instead, there are many options.

Aug 15th, '17, 16:07

by SanzenOver » Aug 15th, '17, 16:07

Is it a tetsubin or a cast iron teapot? Tetsubins are kettles, not teapots. They are used for boiling water, not brewing tea.

If it is an enameled cast iron teapot and the enamel is peeling, it shouldn't be used. Pretty sure that stuff is toxic.

+ Post Reply