User avatar
Jun 14th, '17, 14:43
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Tetsubin old rusty?

by victoria3 » Jun 14th, '17, 14:43

I've been researching getting a tetsubin for a while and came across this one locally that is only 50$ so am wondering if I should just get it as a first run with these kettles, or wait and get a new one. I've read boiling with tea leaves removes some rust, although I don't see how that's possible. I've also read a little rust is OK, but how much is a little? Also, is it OK to use a gas stove top diffuser until I get an electric device? The tet is 7.5" X 8" including handle so a nice size.
Attachments
tet 1-2.png
tet 1-2.png (101.49 KiB) Viewed 958 times
tet 3-4.jpg
tet 3-4.jpg (31.76 KiB) Viewed 958 times

User avatar
Jun 14th, '17, 20:50
Posts: 278
Joined: Mar 29th, '15, 21:32
Location: OH

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by Ferg » Jun 14th, '17, 20:50

I am admittedly clueless when it comes to tetsubin. But, personally, I would be a bit timid to use it! A couple articles I came across from those much more knowledgeable, if you haven't already read them:

http://half-dipper.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... in-ii.html
http://www.marshaln.com/2012/11/buying-tetsubins/
http://www.marshaln.com/2008/05/sunday-may-18-2008/
http://www.marshaln.com/2008/07/monday-july-7-2008/

I've pondered the idea from time-to-time, but it just doesn't seem practical for me and would likely get no use.

User avatar
Jun 14th, '17, 22:40
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by victoria3 » Jun 14th, '17, 22:40

Thanks Ferg, researcher that I am, I've read a lot but it's good to have those links in one place. This topic has been hashed around on teachat for years so I've also read quite a few of those too. YouTube has some pretty fun sandblasting videos to get rid of rust, but then what's missing is the gunblueing part that's done in a very hot oven to protect the exposed iron on the inside.

User avatar
Jun 15th, '17, 01:07
Vendor Member
Posts: 3111
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by jayinhk » Jun 15th, '17, 01:07

victoria3 wrote: Thanks Ferg, researcher that I am, I've read a lot but it's good to have those links in one place. This topic has been hashed around on teachat for years so I've also read quite a few of those too. YouTube has some pretty fun sandblasting videos to get rid of rust, but then what's missing is the gunblueing part that's done in a very hot oven to protect the exposed iron on the inside.
I'd attack the inside with steel wool/sandpaper, wash it real well and then maybe apply a phosphate finish (diet Sprite) or use white vinegar.

Jun 15th, '17, 12:25
Posts: 223
Joined: Dec 22nd, '12, 14:05

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by .m. » Jun 15th, '17, 12:25

I cant judge the quality of the tetsubin, but the rusting seems to be very light. Vinegar should be probably enough to clean the rust and the scaling, then boil some tea as you've said to clean it further. Steel wool might be good for some of the more rusty spots, but I would try to avoid using sandpaper which would expose the raw iron. From what i've read somewhere, the gentlest and a quite effective way to clean rust is electrolysis: the rough idea is to submerge it in salt water (electrolytic solution), then plug a DC current, + on the tetsubin, - on a nail that you suspend in the solution, and let it work for few hours, the rust should drift on the nail. But I've never tried myself so don't know the exact details. Anyway in this case it seems unnecessary.

User avatar
Jun 15th, '17, 15:46
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by victoria3 » Jun 15th, '17, 15:46

Both vinegar/steel wool and or electrolysis de-rusting ideas sound good. Using tea leaves to blacken the pot afterwards sounds like a good idea also. I could use this tet as an experiment. I'm not convinced it is the most aesthetic or special I've seen but the size and price is right, the rust not horrible, what the heck might as well give it a go and stick my toe in the tet waters :D

What do you think of my using the gas stove top diffuser pictured until I get electric or similar device?
Also, any recommendations on a future variable temp. electric device to boil water with? I have a few thick terra cotta big pots that I'd also like to use to heat water with (to expand my water exploration) but am waiting on a heating device that won't crack them.

User avatar
Jun 16th, '17, 02:52
Posts: 202
Joined: Feb 9th, '14, 20:01

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by CWarren » Jun 16th, '17, 02:52

Everyone always recommends infrared units for both clay and iron kettles. Cusimax seems to be the most recommended. Induction is okay but has to be used on low or can ruin a kettle. Grats on the tetsubin. That's a steal and the rust looks very light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jun 16th, '17, 15:07
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by victoria3 » Jun 16th, '17, 15:07

CWarren wrote: Everyone always recommends infrared units for both clay and iron kettles. Cusimax seems to be the most recommended. Induction is okay but has to be used on low or can ruin a kettle. Grats on the tetsubin. That's a steal and the rust looks very light.
Now I remember reading about infrared cook tops working well with both iron and ceramic kettles, so thanks. After researching halogen vs induction, electric, infrared my heat was like a noodle . I use infrared heat in the sauna and think it penetrates deeper into the dermis, really nice. I'd like to get a heating element that is not bigger than the base of my kettles. I wonder if they can be custom set to 3.5", 4", 4.5" heated diameter area, so the room is not also heated. What are you using to heat your tetsubin or ceramic kettles?

Jun 16th, '17, 15:42
Posts: 223
Joined: Dec 22nd, '12, 14:05

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by .m. » Jun 16th, '17, 15:42

I'm just using an electric hotplate on my ceramic kettle, because that's the stove i have. I think almost any source of heat will do, of course the basic rule is 1) avoid thermal shock, 2) make sure there is water inside (the water allows to dissipate the heat from the base so it doesn't accumulate there). I never go full power on my stove, it takes me about 10min to boil the water (usually around 0.6l in 1l kettle). I think i could go faster, but don't want test the limits of my kettle, and there is no need to.

User avatar
Jun 17th, '17, 04:49
Posts: 202
Joined: Feb 9th, '14, 20:01

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by CWarren » Jun 17th, '17, 04:49

victoria3 wrote: I'd like to get a heating element that is not bigger than the base of my kettles. I wonder if they can be custom set to 3.5", 4", 4.5" heated diameter area, so the room is not also heated. What are you using to heat your tetsubin or ceramic kettles?
That's one of the great features of an induction unit is that it centralizes the heat directly to the radius of the kettle but unfortunately that is also why they are often an issue especially with iron kettles on anything more than low. Most of the infrared units have a burner around 7-8" in diameter. I've not seen anything smaller. As for focused heat I've yet to see that with infrared.

I use a charcoal stove and induction unit for my kettles. I do however plan on picking up an infrared unit soon to replace the induction for times when charcoal is too time consuming.

Best of luck finding the right unit for you.

User avatar
Jun 17th, '17, 10:27
Vendor Member
Posts: 3111
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by jayinhk » Jun 17th, '17, 10:27

I use a Kamjove infrared stove made for kettles specifically--4" ring I think. I only use it with my Chaozhou clay kettle since it sits on my desk at work. My tetsubin is a modern Nambu tetsubin that I picked up in Tokyo and has epoxy on the outside (like Le Creusset stuff) and can be heated on a gas or electric stove at low heat. I read about the factory that makes them and they've taken Chinese tea into consideration with their designs since Chinese tea drinkers are perhaps the largest market for modern Japanese tetsubin!

I think the diffuser you have is ideal for heating your tetsu! As long as you don't use too much heat, it'll work very well.

User avatar
Jun 17th, '17, 19:59
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by victoria3 » Jun 17th, '17, 19:59

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciate it. I wanted a heating device for ceramics and iron so infrared seems like the way to go. After looking around I saw a nice 4.5" infrared on aliexpress but didn't want to deal with a 220v-120v converter, plus not so easy return issues and extra shipping to USA.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.rjp0Gw
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG (6.09 KiB) Viewed 765 times
The Cusimax 120v infrared available in the USA right now is huge at 15.3"X13"x4.7", so I ended up with an infrared that is the size of an iPad Pro, 11.8"x 8.9"x 3.5" Kalorik Stainless Steel Infrared Single Ceramic Cooking Plate that I can easily returned locally if there is an issue with the device. Not perfect but well...convenient for the moment. I should probably drive to little Tokio in LA to see if any smaller units are available locally.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... d=60842305
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG (3.34 KiB) Viewed 765 times

User avatar
Jun 17th, '17, 22:32
Vendor Member
Posts: 3111
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by jayinhk » Jun 17th, '17, 22:32

victoria3 wrote: Thanks for all your replies, really appreciate it. I wanted a heating device for ceramics and iron so infrared seems like the way to go. After looking around I saw a nice 4.5" infrared on aliexpress but didn't want to deal with a 220v-120v converter, plus not so easy return issues and extra shipping to USA.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.rjp0Gw
IMG_1579.JPG
The Cusimax 120v infrared available in the USA right now is huge at 15.3"X13"x4.7", so I ended up with an infrared that is the size of an iPad Pro, 11.8"x 8.9"x 3.5" Kalorik Stainless Steel Infrared Single Ceramic Cooking Plate that I can easily returned locally if there is an issue with the device. Not perfect but well...convenient for the moment. I should probably drive to little Tokio in LA to see if any smaller units are available locally.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... d=60842305
IMG_1578.JPG
That looks like a darn nice stove, and it is all stainless and cheaper than my Kamjove. I'd be very happy with it, and the fact it was sold by Bed Bath & Beyond means you're well covered as far as warranty/quality issues. No voltage conversion issues either! Good score!

User avatar
Jun 17th, '17, 22:39
Posts: 813
Joined: Nov 13th, '12, 13:49
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by victoria3 » Jun 17th, '17, 22:39

jayinhk wrote: That looks like a darn nice stove, and it is all stainless and cheaper than my Kamjove. I'd be very happy with it, and the fact it was sold by Bed Bath & Beyond means you're well covered as far as warranty/quality issues. No voltage conversion issues either! Good score!
OK good to hear you are in accordance Jay :D I would have preferd 4.5" round but well this is a 'reasoned' compromise.

User avatar
Jun 18th, '17, 04:40
Vendor Member
Posts: 3111
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Tetsubin old rusty?

by jayinhk » Jun 18th, '17, 04:40

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote: That looks like a darn nice stove, and it is all stainless and cheaper than my Kamjove. I'd be very happy with it, and the fact it was sold by Bed Bath & Beyond means you're well covered as far as warranty/quality issues. No voltage conversion issues either! Good score!
OK good to hear you are in accordance Jay :D I would have preferd 4.5" round but well this is a 'reasoned' compromise.
Mine is 9" wide at the base and 4" high! Great little stove, but I always forget I have the kettle on and it boils over sometimes!

+ Post Reply