Jul 28th, '17, 03:59

Help me find my first tetsubin

by Nebs » Jul 28th, '17, 03:59

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first tetsubin. However it seems that they've been sold out more or less in every place and ones sold in eBay and Etsy seems to be quite rusty. Is there any other place I could look at?

I'm not looking anything fancy. Durable pot that lasts for a lifetime(?) is my goal. (Ideal price would be ~200$, but I can deepen my wallet if needed :) )

Thanks in advance!

Jul 31st, '17, 17:02

Re: Help me find my first tetsubin

by Zared » Jul 31st, '17, 17:02

I bought a supposed Meiji-Taishō period kettle that was completely filled with rust inside similar to ones I've seen on eBay. It took a bit of repeated scrubbing to clean it up. It's been used everyday for the past 6yrs with out any issues. So don't fear the rust! Its fine as long as it hasn't caused any holes or other structural damage. Mine was well worth the $250 I paid as well as the hours I put into prepping it. Look for something at top of your price range and avoid those odd western (lodge brand?) looking cheap ones.

Jul 31st, '17, 21:55

by victoria3 » Jul 31st, '17, 21:55

Zared wrote: I bought a supposed Meiji-Taishō period kettle that was completely filled with rust inside similar to ones I've seen on eBay. It took a bit of repeated scrubbing to clean it up. It's been used everyday for the past 6yrs with out any issues. So don't fear the rust! Its fine as long as it hasn't caused any holes or other structural damage. Mine was well worth the $250 I paid as well as the hours I put into prepping it. Look for something at top of your price range and avoid those odd western (lodge brand?) looking cheap ones.
What kind of scrubbing did you do, and with what did you scrub?

Jul 31st, '17, 22:48

by Zared » Jul 31st, '17, 22:48

I only used steel wool, wire brush and water. No chemicals/soap. It probably took 4hrs of repeated scrubbing and then boiling water in it over a couple days before it was ready. Time consuming but easy. After that I rubbed outside with oil and used extra hard water for a couple weeks so that it would quickly get white buildup inside before switching to normal spring water. Not sure if hard water buildup actually prevents rust but mine hasn't had any issues since than.

Jul 31st, '17, 22:52

by victoria3 » Jul 31st, '17, 22:52

Zared wrote: I only used steel wool, wire brush and water. No chemicals/soap. It probably took 4hrs of repeated scrubbing and then boiling water in it over a couple days before it was ready. Time consuming but easy. After that I rubbed outside with oil and used extra hard water for a couple weeks so that it would quickly get white buildup inside before switching to normal spring water. Not sure if hard water buildup actually prevents rust but mine hasn't had any issues since than.
Very interesting plus the fact that it worked so well for you- I think Hojo recommends against using steel wool. Did you also boil tea in it? This is a method many recommend.

Jul 31st, '17, 23:16

by Zared » Jul 31st, '17, 23:16

victoria3 wrote:
Zared wrote: I only used steel wool, wire brush and water. No chemicals/soap. It probably took 4hrs of repeated scrubbing and then boiling water in it over a couple days before it was ready. Time consuming but easy. After that I rubbed outside with oil and used extra hard water for a couple weeks so that it would quickly get white buildup inside before switching to normal spring water. Not sure if hard water buildup actually prevents rust but mine hasn't had any issues since than.
Very interesting plus the fact that it worked so well for you- I think Hojo recommends against using steel wool. Did you also boil tea in it? This is a method many recommend.
Why would Hojo recommend against it? I can't see a rusted kettle being negatively affected by steel wool.

Aug 1st, '17, 16:06

by victoria3 » Aug 1st, '17, 16:06

Zared wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Why would Hojo recommend against it? I can't see a rusted kettle being negatively affected by steel wool.
As I understand from what Akira wrote, the benefits of charcoal fire reduction firing which turns the interior of the kettle blue/black are lost if the surface is vigorously scrubbed, turning a tetsubin into just any old kettle that no longer changes the taste of water for tea. I am still getting acquainted with my new old tet so cannot offer any opinion as to this claim. http://hojotea.com/categ_e/tetsubin.htm

Aug 1st, '17, 17:38

by Zared » Aug 1st, '17, 17:38

victoria3 wrote:
Zared wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
As I understand from what Akira wrote, the benefits of charcoal fire reduction firing which turns the interior of the kettle blue/black are lost if the surface is vigorously scrubbed, turning a tetsubin into just any old kettle that no longer changes the taste of water for tea. I am still getting acquainted with my new old tet so cannot offer any opinion as to this claim. http://hojotea.com/categ_e/tetsubin.htm
I ended up looking that up after you previous reply.

My own experience with ss kamjove, glass and electric boiler with same water (3-4 kinds) for all of those different kettles and every time my well scrubbed tetsubin was light years better. Maybe I got lucky or I'm wrong but either way I'm pretty skeptical that mine isn't improving my water. Side by side with new Hojo tetsubin might show one is better but I suspect it wouldn't be night and day like it was with the others kettles. Keep in mind Hojo is a vender so they have some incentive to convince people they're product will work while others won't. I've been thinking about getting a second smaller kettle so possibly I'll get one from them or another reliable vendor and do a comparison.

Aug 1st, '17, 19:35

by victoria3 » Aug 1st, '17, 19:35

Zared wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Zared wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
I ended up looking that up after you previous reply.

My own experience with ss kamjove, glass and electric boiler with same water (3-4 kinds) for all of those different kettles and every time my well scrubbed tetsubin was light years better. Maybe I got lucky or I'm wrong but either way I'm pretty skeptical that mine isn't improving my water. Side by side with new Hojo tetsubin might show one is better but I suspect it wouldn't be night and day like it was with the others kettles. Keep in mind Hojo is a vender so they have some incentive to convince people they're product will work while others won't. I've been thinking about getting a second smaller kettle so possibly I'll get one from them or another reliable vendor and do a comparison.
Yes the vendor angle is something to consider. Where are you? Maybe there's another teachater with a new tet in your area to compare notes. I'm hoping to do that here in Los Angeles, comparing various clay and iron kettles effect on water and teas.

+ Post Reply