Dec 28th, '08, 17:12

Tetsubin ?

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Dec 28th, '08, 17:12

Hey Guys.....I havent been around much in the last few days becuase I am moving into a new apartment and havent had time to set up the wireless etc.....Anyway, I got a lined Tetsubin for Christmas and I was wondering if it was SAFE to boil water in it. I know the traditional ones were made un-lined and werent meant for actual tea brewing and I have read that the enamel can chip, etc. on the inside if it is used for boiling water. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience boiling water in a lined tetsubin, etc. Thanks!.......Its been a while since I was actually posting a question.... :)

-Nick

Dec 28th, '08, 17:15

by tenuki » Dec 28th, '08, 17:15

If it is lined it is not meant to be put anywhere near a stovetop. It's a brewing vessel only.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Dec 28th, '08, 17:37

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Dec 28th, '08, 17:37

Yes, but why? I am under the assumption that the only difference between one that is specifically designed to boil water and one that is not, is that one is lined and the other isnt. So, if I am only using it to boil water, why would I care if the enamel on the inside was cracked, damaged, etc?

-Nick

Dec 28th, '08, 17:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 28th, '08, 17:52

Perhaps something could be released into the water. If a food item is not designed to be placed on direct heat, I tend to believe it. Also, if the enamel is cracking, water will get between the iron and enamel, constantly wet, and will likely rust through very quickly.

Also, if you notice, most tetsubin kettles cost a lot more. I am thinking a lined version would not hold up long, possibly even crack. It is simply not designed for extreme heat, etc.

Dec 28th, '08, 17:54

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Dec 28th, '08, 17:54

Another thing I have seen is a cooking company called Le Creuset, which is a high end company, makes cast iron cook ware that is lined with enamel....that would be exposed to extreme temperatures adn fluids that reach exteme temperatures...so how would that be any different?

-Nick

Dec 29th, '08, 05:03

by Jack_teachat » Dec 29th, '08, 05:03

Yes but if you look at their range of kettles both are made from steel not cast iron

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-Rang ... p-Kettles/

Dec 29th, '08, 08:16

by toastedtoads » Dec 29th, '08, 08:16

Also, the enameled cast iron cookware from Le Creuset is enameled on the outside. It is possible that they are using a different type of enamel on the cookware than on the inside of the tetsubins as it's not really coming into serious contact with the food/liquid.

Hojotea.com has a lot of information about cast iron kettles.

Dec 29th, '08, 09:36

by olivierco » Dec 29th, '08, 09:36

toastedtoads wrote:Also, the enameled cast iron cookware from Le Creuset is enameled on the outside. It is possible that they are using a different type of enamel on the cookware than on the inside of the tetsubins as it's not really coming into serious contact with the food/liquid.

Hojotea.com has a lot of information about cast iron kettles.
My mother have some Le Creuset cookware: there is indeed enamel inside, probably of a better quality.

Dec 29th, '08, 10:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 29th, '08, 10:01

It is funny, since April 2006 when I joined this forum, I cannot tell you how many times this subject has been brought up, but it has been many! :D

I am sure the enamel is of a different composition on enameled cookware and formulated to take higher temps. The enamel in the teapots was never intended to be exposed to 3-400 degree direct heat on a regular basis. Nor were the cheaper iron pots. They were simply not made for that.

For that, you have to buy one that was made to be a kettle.

Dec 29th, '08, 10:04

by procarel » Dec 29th, '08, 10:04

I beleive that the lining on the Le Creuset ironware is a porcelin or at least a coating that is fired at a high temperature that makes it capabale of direct stove top heat and high oven temps whereas the lining of a tetsubin is an enamel coating that is not meant to withstand cooking temperature. It is just a coating to prevent rust. At least that is my understanding.

+ Post Reply