Jan 18th, '09, 15:59

looking for an original japanese tetsubin

by rafal » Jan 18th, '09, 15:59

Hi All,

I'm new here and have been drinking tee for about 25 years. My teapot broke and it's an opportunity for me to replace it with something really special. I would like it to last generations and end up an heirloom. That's what drew me to tetsubin type teapots. I also like the idea of heat retention since I usually make a liter of tea and sip it over an evening.

I have read that Iwachu tetsubins are of great quality and highly recommended. Can you please recommend other japanese manufacturers that make a great tetsubin (enameled) with a long history? Also, what are some of the most reputable online sellers?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rafal

Jan 18th, '09, 20:23

by shogun89 » Jan 18th, '09, 20:23

First of all welcome to the forum,
When it comes to lined tetsubins original isnt really your best choice of words as these are fairly new. Anyway, I have one from Teavana and I love it. It is handmade in Japan and comes with a story telling you how it passed through the hands of over 17 craftsman. . . . I bought it for $70, use it daily and its just well made and of very good quality, so thats my recommendation.
www.teavana.com

Jan 18th, '09, 21:40

by andy825 » Jan 18th, '09, 21:40

tetsubins (and their relative merits) are a frequent topic of discussion here.
Here's a recent thread:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... t=tetsubin
and another:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... t=tetsubin

The first thread has many opinions, links to vendors, and some pics of very pretty tea pots!

Jan 18th, '09, 22:42

by MarshalN » Jan 18th, '09, 22:42

Teavana tetsubins are insanely expensive. Do not buy. No offense Shogun, but I think you got ripped off.

Lined tetsubins actually don't last as long as you think. Eventually the lining will start to crack, and you will have a rusting tetsubin on your hands. Nothing is wrong with that, IMHO, but iron is iron and iron doesn't last.

Also, when you buy tetsubins that are lined, there are many on the market that are actually made in China, not Japan, and those tend to be of inferior quality and will break more easily (lining breaking faster, etc). You're better off going to one of those Japanese teaware stores (you will find links in those threads) and buying there.

Jan 18th, '09, 23:01

by rafal » Jan 18th, '09, 23:01

Thanks All for your help. If the lined tetsubin aren't really that great and long lasting, what would you recommend instead that would help me brew about a liter of a great tea and last a very long time?

Jan 18th, '09, 23:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 18th, '09, 23:10

What do you like to drink. A kyusu can brew more than Japanese tea but are more fragile obviously. And nothing brews Japanese teas better, IMHO.

Personally, I don't really like tetsubins for brewing, but dang they are cool. I have 3, 2 are Iwachu which is a pretty good Japanese brand, I am quite happy with their quality.

Welcome to TeaChat, BTW. :D
Last edited by Chip on Jan 18th, '09, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 18th, '09, 23:18

by shogun89 » Jan 18th, '09, 23:18

MarshalN, Do the linings really crack? Is this just because some people try to boiling water with them and the different expanding rate causes it or its just natural for it to happen? Can it be prevented? Thanks.

Jan 18th, '09, 23:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 18th, '09, 23:51

I would have to believe and hope that Iwachu are less prone to this cracking than Chinese counterparts. But put one on the stove and yeah, that will likely crack any lining.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 19th, '09, 01:09

by Wesli » Jan 19th, '09, 01:09

shogun89 wrote:Do the linings really crack?
Yes, they do. You don't need to put them on the stove for this to happen either, it just happens. My first pot was a cheap "tetsubin," which one day started putting black flecks in my tea.

Edit: I meant to add that you probably can't go wrong with the artisticnippon.com ones.
Last edited by Wesli on Jan 19th, '09, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 19th, '09, 02:50

by wyardley » Jan 19th, '09, 02:50

Just a gentle suggestion... maybe you could try making smaller pots over the course of the evening? If you get a hot water dispenser or electric kettle (or use a thermos), it's still pretty easy to do this in a lazy way.

Or combine a few batches of tea from a normal teapot into a thermos or something else that will hold in the heat.

I don't think a tetsubin is that great a vessel for brewing tea (as opposed to heating water for tea in an unlined one).

Jan 19th, '09, 08:49

by rafal » Jan 19th, '09, 08:49

Thanks guys,

I usually drink green tea with mint (President Choice brand here in Canada) and sometimes I also have loose leaf madras or asam black tea. If I decided to be more careful, can one get a Kyusu in a larger size?

Thermos idea would work but it involves yet another step and I 'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Making smaller pots may also work for me but ideally, I'd like to just make a batch and have it last me for a few hours (I'm lazy that way).

Cheers,

Rafal

Jan 19th, '09, 14:30

by Beidao » Jan 19th, '09, 14:30

I understand you, but I would say that tea doesn't feel well when kept hot for several hours. My experience is that the taste gets less good. I also get "lazy" with tea sometimes and only make large pots and so on, but when I do just a little more, it gets so much better that it's worth it. Right now I'm mostly drinking from a 250 ml pot and just put more hot water in it when I want another cup. Works fine and I appreciate the tea more this way. However, make YOUR tea the way YOU like it!

Greetings from Sweden, Beidao
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jan 19th, '09, 14:55

by Space Samurai » Jan 19th, '09, 14:55

Rafal, I've seen some kyusu as large as 19-20 oz, but that's about it, though I've never really looked for one, so they may be out there.

Jan 19th, '09, 16:24

I'm now considering Kyusu pot

by rafal » Jan 19th, '09, 16:24

I was thinking about a Kyusus pot and came across this one:

http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.p ... cts_id/435

It's probably the largest I've seen (750ml). Does anyone know anything about it? Is it good quality (the price seems ok) or should I keep looking?

Cheers,

Rafal

+ Post Reply