May 6th, '09, 23:29

i have a rusty old kettel now what do i do

by coloradopu » May 6th, '09, 23:29

Quote:
All I use is cast iron cookware, the best is the ones made by Le Creuset or Staub. However the Lodge Logic pre-seasoned cook wear is great, just don't EVER use soap to clean them.

i have an old cast iron with a star and an 8 in the middle on the top of the swing lid
its old and it rusted i cleaned it in and out well and seasoned the outside
how many times do i need to boil water before it stops turning my tea purple? :oops:
it has a good taste but looks real bad in the cup. :roll:

i have now boild it down with some old shu leaf till it was almost surip.washed it out and at this time boil water to try again.

will post later result but if you can help please dooooooo!

May 6th, '09, 23:52

by coloradopu » May 6th, '09, 23:52

The rust is non-toxic and face. Use a soft brush to clean the rusted area, then fill pot with used tea leaves and boiling water for 20 minutes. The tannic acid in the tea reacts with the rust and forms a natural seal against future rusting."
i found this under rust search

the water after the first boil with shu is a lot better will do it again and post after

May 7th, '09, 00:08

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 00:08

ok sense i scrubbed the ever living dog "pu-erh"out of it i boiled water once then i boiled it again.
on the 3rd boil it turned the tea purple
4th boil with some old shu then rinse
5th boil tea god very very slight discolor
end of 5th boil purple tea
6th boil lou ann ? spell? any who this is were i am at no

May 7th, '09, 00:41

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 00:41

ok here we go after the rinse

well you might ask what the !@#$ is this guy doing this for

huuuummm

i got a few quit a few people coming over in a few weeks and i wanted to fire up the old burner and get some good water

but i never dealt with so much rust
quite a challenge
i think it would be good for some old milk tea with the old shu i got but i still need to get this rust under control

well record time gallon of water to whale eye in record time 2 min.

tea looks good god color and taste we ant got no fish eye here in Colorado

pu rules you know just in case you didn’t
:lol: :lol: :roll:

May 7th, '09, 01:57

by xuancheng » May 7th, '09, 01:57

With cast iron, I think you need to really scrub hard for a long time with a brand new, clean steel bristle brush. Cast iron will get deep pits full of rust, and unless you clean it out thoroughly you will probably continue to get funny colours. You should also look at curing methods for tetsubins. That might help a lot. I know how to cure a cast iron pan, but you might not want to be heating a bunch of oil in your kettle. Although, perhaps you could find some tea oil...

You might even consider an electric drill with a steel brush attachment.
茶也醉人何必酒?

May 7th, '09, 10:09

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 10:09

You might even consider an electric drill with a steel brush attachment.
thanks xuancheng i do have one but i am lazy and want too try old school stuff. but not to say that some home improvement method is in store. if i do go that rout i will try to broadcast it live so you can have fun too.

i was up late doing the stuff i tried last night. today is a new day and i am going to go at it again.

anyone got any other methods :wink:

May 7th, '09, 11:06

by Ebtoulson » May 7th, '09, 11:06

i don't own a cast iron kettle but I do have several cast iron pans and dutch ovens ...and your not supposed to use anything that abrasive. It'll end up rubbing off the seasoning (black) which will then start to rust. I personally use normal scotch bright pads (with light pressure) to clean then.

May 7th, '09, 11:16

by xuancheng » May 7th, '09, 11:16

Ebtoulson wrote:i don't own a cast iron kettle but I do have several cast iron pans and dutch ovens ...and your not supposed to use anything that abrasive. It'll end up rubbing off the seasoning (black) which will then start to rust. I personally use normal scotch bright pads (with light pressure) to clean then.
I usually never use anything more abrasive than a paper towel on my nicely seasoned cast iron. But a piece that has been sitting unused for a couple years is going to have deep rust and need a great deal more elbow grease.
茶也醉人何必酒?

May 7th, '09, 11:18

by chamekke » May 7th, '09, 11:18

I haven't really explored it, but there's an entire subforum on the Wagner and Griswold site devoted to the question of cleaning and restoring cast iron cookware:

Wagner and Griswold Society's Forum - Cast Iron (general info) - Cleaning, Restoring

May 7th, '09, 12:39

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 12:39

chamekke Posted: May 7th '09 12:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't really explored it, but there's an entire sub forum on the Wagner and Griswold site devoted to the question of cleaning and restoring cast iron cookware:

Wagner and Griswold Society's Forum - Cast Iron (general info) - Cleaning, Restoring

thanks so much i new someone could advise me

you got me getting my chemistry set out and im gunna hook it all up to the battery charger and plug it into the kettle

now how lazy is that plug it in and wait then its clean if not cleaner than the day it was made.

big question to follow::::::::

would it work on a tetsuban "i bet it would"

thanks again
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

May 7th, '09, 13:27

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 13:27

this page explains it all

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

i just put the electrode in the middle of the pot with the + line and attach the - line to the outside of the kettle and now we wait

do not do this if you are real worried about your pot \\\

i am not recommending this for anyone i am just giving it a go

we will see pic's to come

May 7th, '09, 21:49

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 21:49

egg plant purple tea

still has rust

electro test to remove rust inside

May 7th, '09, 21:57

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 21:57

better purple tea shot

+ Post Reply