User avatar
Jun 2nd 09 7:49 pm
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd 09 7:32 pm
Location: The Bronx

is a tetsubin right for an exclusive green tea drinker?

by clareandromeda » Jun 2nd 09 7:49 pm

As of right now I've been heating my water in my grandma's cast iron pan but am looking to upgrade to a kettle. I have a gas stove and drink solely green tea..

From my research It seems a silver kettle or a tetsubin with some sort of diffuser plate over the flame seem to be what I need...

I am finding few visually pleasing silver kettles online and am leaning toward a tetsubin...
Some sources do say that the cast iron could have a harmful effect on delicate green teas, has anyone found this to be true?

User avatar
Jun 2nd 09 11:33 pm
Posts: 401
Joined: Nov 9th 08 1:46 am
Location: NYC

by chingwa » Jun 2nd 09 11:33 pm

It would only affect the tea if you actually steeped the tea in cast iron, or added water at too high a temperature. Tetsubin is perfect for green tea, that's what it was developed for after all.

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 1:29 am
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Jun 3rd 09 1:29 am

I believe the author wishes to boil the water in an unlined tetsubin. Some members swear by them. I have never had one, so I cannot personally say.

By the way, welcome to the other forum too. :wink:

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 1:43 am
Posts: 14
Joined: Jun 2nd 09 3:48 pm

Re: is a tetsubin right for an exclusive green tea drinker?

by Louis » Jun 3rd 09 1:43 am

clareandromeda wrote:As of right now I've been heating my water in my grandma's cast iron pan but am looking to upgrade to a kettle. I have a gas stove and drink solely green tea..

From my research It seems a silver kettle or a tetsubin with some sort of diffuser plate over the flame seem to be what I need...

I am finding few visually pleasing silver kettles online and am leaning toward a tetsubin...
Some sources do say that the cast iron could have a harmful effect on delicate green teas, has anyone found this to be true?

The most significant factor to affect green tea is the water temperature, but not the container for heating the water. Usually 75 degrees Celsius is the most suitable temperature for green tea, and you'd better use transparent glassglass to brewing greem tea, teapot is not necessary.

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 1:47 am
Posts: 401
Joined: Nov 9th 08 1:46 am
Location: NYC

by chingwa » Jun 3rd 09 1:47 am

however, boiling water in a reduced-iron or "activated" iron teapot/ tetsubin will change the taste of the water... which of course will change the taste of the tea. I use a tetsubin religiously to boil water for my green tea and would never think of going back to an ordinary kettle now.

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 3:11 am
Posts: 14
Joined: Jun 2nd 09 3:48 pm

by Louis » Jun 3rd 09 3:11 am

Previously, Guangdong Chaozhou person boil water in zisha kettle, and the fuel is pit of olive or charcoal. Nowadays most people in China now use electric stainless kettle to boil the water, because it is easy and simple.

You are right, tetsubin is perfect, we often use it for puerh, as puerh have higher requset to the water. Besides, the water is aslo important, the better water should get from Stream or river, because water from such place is floating, and we called it "Living Water"。Meanwhile, put some carbon in to the water as purificant, and the water will be clean.

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 5:50 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

by Tead Off » Jun 3rd 09 5:50 am

Tetsubin water for green tea and Puerh cannot be beat. In lieu of not having a tetsubin, not living near a stream or river, unless the Chao Phya river in Bangkok magically transforms itself into 'living water', I use filtered water with bamboo charcoal placed into pitcher. I think this is as close as I'm going to get to 'good' water in Bangkok.

Ahh, I can see the crystal clear blue skies of the Himalayas with the rushing water of freezing streams flowing down into the valleys with the crisp fresh air and the sound of wind in the trees. :lol:

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 9:57 am
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd 09 7:32 pm
Location: The Bronx

by clareandromeda » Jun 3rd 09 9:57 am

thanks Chip!

I was only planning on using the tetsubin to boil and i would brew in something else. What are the issues regarding lined and unlined? Rust is an issue right? I live in America also so i would have to order from overseas to get an unlined one?

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 3:07 pm
Posts: 1962
Joined: Apr 6th 08 11:02 pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada

by chamekke » Jun 3rd 09 3:07 pm

clareandromeda wrote:I was only planning on using the tetsubin to boil and i would brew in something else. What are the issues regarding lined and unlined? Rust is an issue right? I live in America also so i would have to order from overseas to get an unlined one?
You may want to take a peek at the following threads:

Tetsubins?
cast iron kettle vs. tetsubin
Unlined Tetsubin Vendors

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 3:54 pm
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

by Tead Off » Jun 3rd 09 3:54 pm

clareandromeda wrote:thanks Chip!

I was only planning on using the tetsubin to boil and i would brew in something else. What are the issues regarding lined and unlined? Rust is an issue right? I live in America also so i would have to order from overseas to get an unlined one?
You want an unlined tetsubin to boil water in. Some have enamel coatings inside and some have Urushi (lacquer) coatings. These will prevent the interaction of the water with the iron.

I would think you can find an unlined tetsubin in the States. But, the secret of the unlined tetsubin is it has to undergo a reduction in order for the iron to be activated. You can tell if a tetsubin is reduced by the color of the inside, a charcoal gray-black. Go to hojotea.com and read about them on his site. Lots of useful info.

Rust is a problem if the kettle is not cared for. The site also talks about rust and its treatment.

User avatar
Jun 3rd 09 11:10 pm
Posts: 401
Joined: Nov 9th 08 1:46 am
Location: NYC

by chingwa » Jun 3rd 09 11:10 pm

a charcoal gray-black
actually, it's waay closer to a slightly bluish medium grey. it should be significantly lighter in value compared to the darker outside of the tetsubin.