Jan 27th, '17, 16:10

Strange lines and marks inside my Chao Zhou pot!

by VanFersen » Jan 27th, '17, 16:10

Finally I received two Chao Zhou pots one a Zhuni and the other one a Da hong pao. But beside a small fissure on the inside which I can live with there are also a couple of strange marks and signs which I can't say what they are - they look like lead pencil markings or maybe tool traces of metal tools?? I seasoned the pot many times now but I couldn't get the marks off.

I just think its weird somehow. I hope you can see them on the picture - the one were the pot was wet inside is much more clear to recognize.

Jan 27th, '17, 20:27
Vendor Member

Re: Strange lines and marks inside my Chao Zhou pot!

by jayinhk » Jan 27th, '17, 20:27

VanFersen wrote:Finally I received two Chao Zhou pots one a Zhuni and the other one a Da hong pao. But beside a small fissure on the inside which I can live with there are also a couple of strange marks and signs which I can't say what they are - they look like lead pencil markings or maybe tool traces of metal tools?? I seasoned the pot many times now but I couldn't get the marks off.

I just think its weird somehow. I hope you can see them on the picture - the one were the pot was wet inside is much more clear to recognize.

Interesting, never seen that on the inside of a pot before. Try 400/600 grit sandpaper and sand the inside of the pot down in a circular motion?

Jan 28th, '17, 00:39

by stevorama » Jan 28th, '17, 00:39

baking soda might also be able to remove that. put a little on a damp finger and rub the spot.

Jan 28th, '17, 03:40
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 28th, '17, 03:40

stevorama wrote:baking soda might also be able to remove that. put a little on a damp finger and rub the spot.
True, that is a less aggressive abrasive and if baking soda does the job, he won't need the sandpaper!

Jan 28th, '17, 05:38

by VanFersen » Jan 28th, '17, 05:38

But baking soda is quite salty acidly isn't it a bit risky to use this on a porous clay? But what do you think are does strange marks and lines?

Jan 28th, '17, 07:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 28th, '17, 07:30

VanFersen wrote:But baking soda is quite salty acidly isn't it a bit risky to use this on a porous clay? But what do you think are does strange marks and lines?
I've used it before; it takes a few uses to get it out, but once it's gone, it's gone completely.

No idea what those lines are!

Jan 28th, '17, 10:45

by stevorama » Jan 28th, '17, 10:45

baking soda is more alkaline than acidic and certainly has a salty taste. i've used it on clay teapots (rubbing on stains then rinsing with water) without any lingering salty taste. those look like pencil marks or metal marks to me.

Jan 28th, '17, 10:57

by VanFersen » Jan 28th, '17, 10:57

I striped of the first layer of one of my wifes unused emery board (nail files) put it underneath my finger inside the teapot and tried to rub this lines off but wasn't helping at all. Now I am more worried that some of paper emery board layers had some glue in it that this got sucked into the teapot :lol: :lol: :lol: - it's just a vicious cycle

I don't really care about the visual part when it comes to those lines and marks inside the pot but do you think it is save to drink tea from it?

Jan 28th, '17, 11:42

by theredbaron » Jan 28th, '17, 11:42

VanFersen wrote:
I don't really care about the visual part when it comes to those lines and marks inside the pot but do you think it is save to drink tea from it?

Yes, it's safe, and i would just ignore it. In time it will go away, or be covered with tea particles

Jan 28th, '17, 12:09

by stevorama » Jan 28th, '17, 12:09

I looked at the pictures again and my new guess is that someone tried to scrap off clay bits with something metal and made marks. But as theredbaron suggested, if you don't mind the look then probably no need to be concerned! And definitely don't worry about the emery board glue, just rinse with hot water. :D

Jan 28th, '17, 12:15

by VanFersen » Jan 28th, '17, 12:15

I rinsed the pot with boiling water for a couple of times now - this time something new and weird accrued not to my eyes but my nose. I opened the lid of the pot and smelled the inside after the boiling water was poured out and it really got a certain metal aroma to it. It really smells like Iron or something similar. Even my wife confirmed what I scented. It is really weird.

Jan 28th, '17, 12:20
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 28th, '17, 12:20

It does look like iron/steel--but how would a streak of either get embedded in fired clay? Ask the vendor what you can do about it. Did you get it from BitterLeaf?

Jan 28th, '17, 13:02

by stevorama » Jan 28th, '17, 13:02

VanFersen wrote:I rinsed the pot with boiling water for a couple of times now - this time something new and weird accrued not to my eyes but my nose. I opened the lid of the pot and smelled the inside after the boiling water was poured out and it really got a certain metal aroma to it. It really smells like Iron or something similar. Even my wife confirmed what I scented. It is really weird.
I notice some pots have a hot stone kind of smell which smells almost metallic. Personally I'm not too concerned about that. A strong chemical smell I might be concerned about.

Nov 13th, '17, 11:27

by LAC » Nov 13th, '17, 11:27

stevorama wrote:
VanFersen wrote:I rinsed the pot with boiling water for a couple of times now - this time something new and weird accrued not to my eyes but my nose. I opened the lid of the pot and smelled the inside after the boiling water was poured out and it really got a certain metal aroma to it. It really smells like Iron or something similar. Even my wife confirmed what I scented. It is really weird.
I notice some pots have a hot stone kind of smell which smells almost metallic. Personally I'm not too concerned about that. A strong chemical smell I might be concerned about.
... and why do not you send the photos to the provider where
you bought it, (it would be worth it to tell us where the
you bought to be aware of supposed purchases) and
I suppose there will be a guarantee or a reason why
This status.

Greetings and luck!

Nov 13th, '17, 13:17

by Senlin » Nov 13th, '17, 13:17

What kind of water do you use? It looks very much like mineral deposits to me, incrusted in the thin scratches the potter made with his wheel.

+ Post Reply