Nov 8th, '16, 08:30

Re: Chao Zhou Teapot?

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 8th, '16, 08:30

kuánglóng wrote: If you want your unglazed clay pot as non-porous or non-absorbant as possible I'd primarily look for high fired clay but it's no more than a good place to start (vs. low-fired). (Compared to their low-fired, more porous and dull sounding brethren higher fired pots tend to have a brighter, glass or bell like sound when you carefully strike them with something equally dense or denser.)
As to Chaozhuo vs. Yixing these names won't tell you anything specific about the actual clay (chemical composition, particle sizes) and how it has been fired, could be pretty much anything, including not so safe clays (heavy metals).
For some more info you might want to google 'clay firing temperature porosity' or 'clay sintering temperature' for some extra fun.
Thank you for your answer. Yeah, i know a bit about the thing with the fire temperature, i did not mentioned it, because i thought there is some kind of typical aspect of ChZ clay compared to Yixing ... for example if both a fired at same temperature... X ist more porous than Y or something... but i guess you have very good point when you say, that there are so many different clays...
I know a lot of sources, even at least one based here in Germany :) ... but actually i want to have more information like most of the sellers want or can give. The good thing with the german seller is, he has a shop and i could go there and make the famous "bell test" to see how high fired the pot is.

The thechineseteashop.com gives the "Density" on a scale from 1 to 10 ... that is quite cool.

Nov 8th, '16, 10:07

by Tead Off » Nov 8th, '16, 10:07

TaoTeaKing wrote:
kuánglóng wrote: If you want your unglazed clay pot as non-porous or non-absorbant as possible I'd primarily look for high fired clay but it's no more than a good place to start (vs. low-fired). (Compared to their low-fired, more porous and dull sounding brethren higher fired pots tend to have a brighter, glass or bell like sound when you carefully strike them with something equally dense or denser.)
As to Chaozhuo vs. Yixing these names won't tell you anything specific about the actual clay (chemical composition, particle sizes) and how it has been fired, could be pretty much anything, including not so safe clays (heavy metals).
For some more info you might want to google 'clay firing temperature porosity' or 'clay sintering temperature' for some extra fun.
Thank you for your answer. Yeah, i know a bit about the thing with the fire temperature, i did not mentioned it, because i thought there is some kind of typical aspect of ChZ clay compared to Yixing ... for example if both a fired at same temperature... X ist more porous than Y or something... but i guess you have very good point when you say, that there are so many different clays...
I know a lot of sources, even at least one based here in Germany :) ... but actually i want to have more information like most of the sellers want or can give. The good thing with the german seller is, he has a shop and i could go there and make the famous "bell test" to see how high fired the pot is.

The thechineseteashop.com gives the "Density" on a scale from 1 to 10 ... that is quite cool.
If you are serious about pursuing CZ pots, talk to the 'Mistress' at Tea Habitat. She probably knows more about CZ pots and Dancong teas than anyone you will likely meet. Her name is Imen. She is the queen.

Nov 8th, '16, 11:14

by kyarazen » Nov 8th, '16, 11:14

TaoTeaKing wrote:I`m thinking about buying a Chaozhou teapot at http://jingteashop.com/cat-chaozhou-teapots-by-jing.cfm
and i`m wondering how porous they are.
I recognized some different opinions on that matter here... any final thoughts about that?
I have one "Yixing-Clay" teapot and i think it is very porous, it takes out a lot of the fruity notes when paired with Dancong.
Mostly i like these (and Yixing) pots because of their aesthetics, i prefer when they do as little as porcelain... so i want them to be most not porous as possible.

Do you think with that preference i should go for a Chaozhou or a Yixing?
get the right yixing first... would recommend a niangao clay or red clay of the 70s.

Nov 8th, '16, 11:41

by kuánglóng » Nov 8th, '16, 11:41

TaoTeaKing wrote: I know a lot of sources, even at least one based here in Germany.
Could that possibly be chadao.de :) ?
If yes they might be worth a visit (or two) - buying pots is some serious business I wouldn't want to do online. YMMV.
(I bought all my clay pots back in China and drove more than one shopkeeper 疯狂的 :mrgreen: ).

Nov 8th, '16, 14:48

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 8th, '16, 14:48

@Tead Off
Yes, i know about her :) and i read at teachat that she had a few ChZ Teapots...
But even if while she has no ChZ Pot at the shop online now, i think it is good idea to talk to her, if and when my decission to buy one is clear.

@Kyarazen

Niangao clay from so 70's sound hard to get online... and like more than 200usd ... no?
I would see 200 euro/ Usd as my absolut max limit...
but thnx anyway :)

@Kuanglong
Yes, you mentioned it previously i think ;)
Never was at the shop, online online.
Online they/he has no info given about the clay or firing at all...
But never asked him via email...

What does it mean, my english is bad, "to drive a shopkeeper"?

Nov 8th, '16, 15:53

by kuánglóng » Nov 8th, '16, 15:53

TaoTeaKing wrote: What does it mean, my english is bad, "to drive a shopkeeper"?
Much better than my Mandarin. Let's say they've had a hard time selling me their stuff :wink:
Good luck finding a decent pot for your Chouzou experiments!

Nov 9th, '16, 01:45

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 9th, '16, 01:45

kuánglóng wrote:
TaoTeaKing wrote: What does it mean, my english is bad, "to drive a shopkeeper"?
Much better than my Mandarin. Let's say they've had a hard time selling me their stuff :wink:
Good luck finding a decent pot for your Chouzou experiments!
Ah, i get it know :) Thank you!

Jan 8th, '17, 07:48

by VanFersen » Jan 8th, '17, 07:48

Is Jingteashop a trustworthy source? Are there any other Online Shops selling real Chao Zhou? And last but not least is Chao Zhou and Qin Zhou a different clay type?

Jan 8th, '17, 08:02

by theredbaron » Jan 8th, '17, 08:02

VanFersen wrote:Is Jingteashop a trustworthy source? Are there any other Online Shops selling real Chao Zhou? And last but not least is Chao Zhou and Qin Zhou a different clay type?

Jingteashop seems to be trustworthy.
Chazhou and Qin Zhou are quite different clays. Chaozhou clay comes from the city of the same name.
For me the problem with most modern Chazhou pots is that they are all highly polished, and older style unpolished pots, which i prefer, are not so easy to find.

Jan 8th, '17, 08:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 8th, '17, 08:05

BitterLeaf has some interesting small CZ pots if anyone's looking!

Jan 8th, '17, 17:19

by theredbaron » Jan 8th, '17, 17:19

jayinhk wrote:BitterLeaf has some interesting small CZ pots if anyone's looking!

Thanks for that. I actually ordered one: http://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/teaw ... -hu-teapot
It fills a hole in my set up - i only have one good Chaozhou pot, but with 100 cc it's a bit large for alone, or when i want to drink a more costly tea. I always wanted a smaller Chazhou pot in that size.

Jan 8th, '17, 17:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 8th, '17, 17:34

Glad to help! I have a large Chaozhou pot from the 80s that I only use rarely for grandpa brewing dancong. I might have to pick a smaller one up myself!

Jan 8th, '17, 21:25

by Tead Off » Jan 8th, '17, 21:25

theredbaron wrote:
jayinhk wrote:BitterLeaf has some interesting small CZ pots if anyone's looking!

Thanks for that. I actually ordered one: http://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/teaw ... -hu-teapot
It fills a hole in my set up - i only have one good Chaozhou pot, but with 100 cc it's a bit large for alone, or when i want to drink a more costly tea. I always wanted a smaller Chazhou pot in that size.
Chaozhou pots are very under rated, IMO. There is a range of red colors that they come in that are supposedly natural. This is the first time I see one mentioned as a dhp clay. As you know, this was always reserved for the Yixing type clay, describing a particular zhuni. Maybe they do the same in Chaozhou area.

Good luck on your return to Germany.

Jan 9th, '17, 00:12
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 9th, '17, 00:12

Tead Off wrote:
theredbaron wrote:

Chaozhou pots are very under rated, IMO. There is a range of red colors that they come in that are supposedly natural. This is the first time I see one mentioned as a dhp clay. As you know, this was always reserved for the Yixing type clay, describing a particular zhuni. Maybe they do the same in Chaozhou area.

Potters around China are cashing in on the demand for Yixing in various ways. Calling Chaozhou clay dahongpao and mimicking classic Yixing shapes is how the Chongshan folk are doing it. I bought an 80ml CZ pot made by a craftswoman in her 50s direct from Chaozhou last night; the last one in the size and style and it spoke to me enough that I had to snag it! BitterLeaf's prices are very fair. I paid a little less but their pots look good, are a good size for personal use and aren't offered anywhere else online as far as I know!
Last edited by jayinhk on Jan 9th, '17, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 9th, '17, 00:15

by theredbaron » Jan 9th, '17, 00:15

Tead Off wrote:
theredbaron wrote: Chaozhou pots are very under rated, IMO. There is a range of red colors that they come in that are supposedly natural. This is the first time I see one mentioned as a dhp clay. As you know, this was always reserved for the Yixing type clay, describing a particular zhuni. Maybe they do the same in Chaozhou area.

It's not easy to get used to Germany after almost 30 years in Asia, but we had no choice after all that mess over there, and it's not all bad here either :)

I don't pay much attention to the label "DHP", that may very well be just a modern name, or just for westerner customers, or just used at random to distinguish these pots from the more common red colored ones, which i have seen labeled as Zhuni here (and at other places), but which is very different from the more well known Yixing Zhuni.
I like the size, and the style of the pot.

But yes, i find that particularly for Dancong teas Chaozhou pots are better suited :)

+ Post Reply