Dec 13th, '09, 18:14

Re: Today's Matcha :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Robert Fornell » Dec 13th, '09, 18:14

If you are open to a very spiritual Korean tea experience go to the web site TeaTourKorea.com. The tour is non profit and will introduce members to both Korean tea and tea ware.
Welcome to the board Mr. Park and congratulations on a beautiful body of work and hope to hear more from you, your experiences and wisdom. It looks to be a lovely trip you're putting together and would like to join you but alas the budget of a potter is a problem...... :( Do you bring Korean potters here on exchanges ever and are you doing any Pun-Cheong (sp?) style work? If so I'd love to see some as it is some of my most favorite of all Korean work. I went to a workshop of Yoon Kwang-Cho a few years ago which was fascinating.

Korea has indeed left an indelible mark on Japanese pottery and chanoyu from the introduction of the climbing kiln to pun-choeng ware (kohiki in Japanese) to raku and the wabi-sabi aesthetic you mention, and finally the wares of Karatsu with their elegant shapes and rim treatments as well as that of Hagi which is so popular with many tea folks on this board.

Very best wishes,
R

Dec 13th, '09, 19:21

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Dec 13th, '09, 19:21

Wakamatsu no Mukashi in aka raku.

Dec 13th, '09, 20:17

by JBaymore » Dec 13th, '09, 20:17

MorningEarth wrote:Sen No Rikyu was part Korean the grandson of a Korean aesthetician working for a Japanese warlord. It is widely known that much of what is natural about Japanese tea came from Korea.
A lot of what is thought of as "Japanese" pottery also owes a great debt to the influence of Korean ceramics.... right down to the "importation" (read that as "capture") of Korean potters by the armies that were sent off thru Korea and supposedly planning on taking over China ...... but really were there simply to keep all those somewhat idle soldiers busy doing something other than overthrowiong the existing Japanese goverment of the period.

At an earlier point in time, the potter's wheel came to Japan out of Korea, as did the anagama.

Chip's much loved Hagi has its roots from Korean potters. (Edit.... Oops.... missed that Robert had already said that... sorry.)

If one looks at some ceramics which are thought be be kind of unique to Japan...... Haniwa sculptural pieces...... it has recently been shown that there were the keyhole shaped mounds with Haniwa located on them in Korea that seem to pre-date the Japanese Kofun Jidai ones.

best,

................john

Dec 14th, '09, 01:46

by Seeker » Dec 14th, '09, 01:46

I am quite taken by your posts ME, JB, and RC. Thank you.
I am reminded what a humble novice I am and what rich heritage(s) we are connected to here.
I am truly grateful to all those who have contributed over the generations.
Humbly and gratefully I bow.

Buzz - Nice!
Seeing your Wakamatsu at this late hour makes me pine for the
matcha I didn't get to have today). A warm feeling that makes me
anticipate how I'll enjoy matcha tomorrow!
Thank you.
Cheers!
:)

Dec 14th, '09, 06:38

by Tead Off » Dec 14th, '09, 06:38

There is really some great work coming out of Korea and it is still widely unknown. They have never been given their due as being the deep influence on the Japanese Wabi-Sabi aesthetic. The Koreans, IMO, go much deeper than many of their Japanese counterparts. Good work is not easy to find and not inexpensive. Mattchasblog is a good place for people to get exposed to the Korean feeling and asethetic of tea and teaware. He does a great job of presenting both in a poetic way.

Dec 14th, '09, 17:37

by Seeker » Dec 14th, '09, 17:37

Today - Ippodo's Wakamatsu-no-mukashi in a Matt Brown Moss Beach Ceramics chawan.
the tools:

the elixir:

Cheers.
:D

Dec 14th, '09, 17:55

by AdamMY » Dec 14th, '09, 17:55

Seeker I don't know if I mentioned this, but I look forward to seeing new pictures in here every day.

Dec 14th, '09, 19:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 14th, '09, 19:34

AdamMY wrote:Seeker I don't know if I mentioned this, but I look forward to seeing new pictures in here every day.
I have so mentioned this ... 8)

Thanks for sharing your matcha with us, virtually, Buzz and Seeker!

Dec 14th, '09, 20:15

by shyrabbit » Dec 14th, '09, 20:15

Seeker,
I too, look forward to your postings. I feel your photos have come a long way.

I have only one comment/critique...think in terms of the poetic words that are used to describe these chawan you collect and simply capture that sentiment in an image, limit the props and select the props so as not to compete. Re: geeks comments on the Buddha, BTW I thinks geek's comment were right on point regarding this image.

Your images are getting much better and I look forward to seeing more "tomorrow." :lol: Also, I appreciate your willingness to put yourself out there, this is the hardest past. The rest of it is just work.

Thanks,
Michael

Dec 15th, '09, 03:11

by Seeker » Dec 15th, '09, 03:11

Woh. :shock: :)
I am touched by your comments Michael, Adam, Chip, everyone.
Thank you.
Thank you too for the critique's.
I am interested in improving 'the capture'.
Michael, I will most certainly keep your comments in mind, tho as I've said to GG, this may fire up my inner critic even more, which often leads to great waves of frustration. :oops:
I literally (with the exception of ya'lls feedback here on TC) have NO camera training/education. So I'm a bit anxious about attempting to capture an image that conveys the poetry and spirit of these chawan on a particular day with a particular mood. But I think that is a wonderful 'star' to aspire and attempt to guide my 'ship' by. I will be considering that more carefully.
GG's most recent posts have been helpful.
(see her latest and my response with a photo of the ice split wan playing with f stop and shutter speed for the 1st time - didn't even know my camera had that option! :oops: ). As for how to manipulate those settings and somehow capture/convey a certain vibe - woh.
Double woh.
Intimidated yet inspired Cheers.
:?

ps - Michael - that sage nuka is beautiful. :D

Dec 15th, '09, 03:31

by Geekgirl » Dec 15th, '09, 03:31

Seeker wrote: this may fire up my inner critic even more, which often leads to great waves of frustration. :oops:
I know EXACTLY what you mean. The hardest part is when you finally start to figure out what you are doing, but can't make the image you have in your head. There's a hydrangea image I've been trying to make for several years - everytime I have a chance to photograph a beautiful hydrangea. I've made some nice pictures, but never that one image that I see in my mind. It is so frustrating, because I know it's possible. I just haven't found that correct convergence of light and color yet. Sooooooo frustrating.

But that's the best way to learn, keep trying, keep analyzing, and have fun experimenting!

I'm so glad my little tutorials are giving you some ideas!

Dec 15th, '09, 06:15

by Tead Off » Dec 15th, '09, 06:15

I'm keeping notes on who is the best whipper. :lol: Some of you need to get those bubbles much smaller. :shock:

Dec 15th, '09, 08:32

by Jayaratna » Dec 15th, '09, 08:32

Hello everyone,

I have seen very beautiful chawans on these pages indeed.

I am sorry I can't take pics of this irabo chawan in action... my photographer's skills are very bad :oops:
I just post it because it is one of my favorite ones, but I can't get rid of a smell it has, like something which has been stored for a long time. I tried to soak it in cold, warm and hot water, but the smell is still there. Any suggestion?

The following is a pic from its auction, much better than mine!

Thanks,
A

Dec 15th, '09, 09:51

by Victoria » Dec 15th, '09, 09:51

Wow, that's a beauty! I love the thinness and the rich color! Definitely keep it out of the box, and just keep soaking in very hot/boiling water and letting it dry completely in between for like 2-3 days.

Dec 15th, '09, 11:36

by Tead Off » Dec 15th, '09, 11:36

Jayaratna wrote:Hello everyone,

I have seen very beautiful chawans on these pages indeed.

I am sorry I can't take pics of this irabo chawan in action... my photographer's skills are very bad :oops:
I just post it because it is one of my favorite ones, but I can't get rid of a smell it has, like something which has been stored for a long time. I tried to soak it in cold, warm and hot water, but the smell is still there. Any suggestion?

The following is a pic from its auction, much better than mine!

Thanks,
A
Did you buy this from Sakura-Zipang on ebay? I've had 2 things from him that have had very bad mold smells. Both raku. Nothing worked including soaking in bleach for 48 hours. They were 2 chawan. I had to throw one away and am reluctant to throw the other away though I can't use it due to the residual smell. He did refund my money on the 2nd bowl.

+ Post Reply