Mar 13th, '11, 18:01

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Seeker » Mar 13th, '11, 18:01

I am thinking a lot and also feeling deeply about the people of Japan.
This is the land, the country, the people who hold, maintain, and originate the tradition of chanoyu as we know it today. This is where our matcha comes from.
I am sending support, and I am regularly offering my most sincere and deepest prayers for comfort, survival, healing, recovery, and overall well-being for everyone involved.
To our Japanese sisters and brothers...
May you find safety, and may safety find you,
May you find lasting comfort and wellness,
May you return to happiness and joy.
Namaste.

...seeker

Mar 14th, '11, 04:00

by Nenugal » Mar 14th, '11, 04:00

Seeker wrote:I am thinking a lot and also feeling deeply about the people of Japan.
This is the land, the country, the people who hold, maintain, and originate the tradition of chanoyu as we know it today. This is where our matcha comes from.
I am sending support, and I am regularly offering my most sincere and deepest prayers for comfort, survival, healing, recovery, and overall well-being for everyone involved.
To our Japanese sisters and brothers...
May you find safety, and may safety find you,
May you find lasting comfort and wellness,
May you return to happiness and joy.
Namaste.

...seeker
Well said... today's morning matcha comes with prayers for the people of Japan from me as well.

Mar 14th, '11, 09:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by jaderabbit » Mar 14th, '11, 09:12

Seeker wrote: Great new Seigan Jade! May I ask it's size?
Height 8.3 cm, width 14.5 cm. Haven't gave it a whirl yet but looks like plenty of room to whisk in.

I think the Japanese are being pretty resilient in the face of what...4 consecutive disasters? I hope they pull through.

Mar 14th, '11, 15:26

by Seeker » Mar 14th, '11, 15:26

Evidence of this morning's matcha...
IMG_0052rszd.jpg
IMG_0052rszd.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Thanks for the size data Jade - I can hardly wait to see that wonderful bowl with some matcha inside!
:mrgreen:

Mar 14th, '11, 15:32

by Stentor » Mar 14th, '11, 15:32

BEAUTIFUL Seigan chawan, jaderabbit! I came close to buying this very chawan myself but opted to go for another one at the time.
I am still very happy with my choice although I have to admit that yours seems to look even better than I thought it would! :)

Mar 14th, '11, 15:44

by greentam » Mar 14th, '11, 15:44

All of your guy's chawan are so beautiful! But if I had to pick a favorite, I would pick jaderabbit's!

Mar 14th, '11, 15:54

by Seeker » Mar 14th, '11, 15:54

Thank you green, and yes, Jade's got a real beauty!

Mar 14th, '11, 17:42

by Robert Fornell » Mar 14th, '11, 17:42

For those of you interested in chawan and matcha, Ayuni Horie is coordinating a nationwide event via an auction of ceramic artists work to help raise funds for the survivors in Japan. I just concluded a weekend of teaware here in Boston and organizer Jeff Shapiro informed us of Ayumi's efforts. There will be many superb works up for sale and I urge you all to help us in this effort to help Japan in this most trying moment. She can be reached at ayumihorie@gmail.com or through her web site http://www.ayumihorie.com.

I will be making multiple donations is this effort to, in some small way, ease the suffering of the people in Japan during these very trying times.

I kindly ask you to please do what you can to help.
Best wishes from Boston,
Rob

Mar 14th, '11, 19:51

by Seeker » Mar 14th, '11, 19:51

Thank you Rob - I will most definitely check it out!

Mar 15th, '11, 22:09

by karmaplace » Mar 15th, '11, 22:09

I'm back with another chawan!

This is my first chawan. I bought it as part of a "Matcha Starter Kit" from Yuuki-Cha, so it's a pretty mass-produced piece (though they are all slightly different), but I like it.

Now, let's see today's matcha:

:lol:

If it looks strange to you, it's because I blended today's matcha with a frozen banana and a few cups of milk. Mmmmmmmm. Blasphemy tastes so good. :mrgreen:

Ayumi Horie is a great artisan, and they have some gorgeous pieces they're putting up at the auction. If you haven't checked out Rob's link yet, do it!

Mar 15th, '11, 23:13

by greentam » Mar 15th, '11, 23:13

I was thinking of buying that myself Karmaplace! It looks nice! Did you buy matcha from them too?

Mar 15th, '11, 23:35

by karmaplace » Mar 15th, '11, 23:35

greentam wrote:I was thinking of buying that myself Karmaplace! It looks nice! Did you buy matcha from them too?
Yes, I did. I bought the 100g bag of their Yuuki Konjo, which is their entry-level, cheapest grade, though now it's sold in smaller packets. I was trying matcha alone for the first time, but I had had matcha lattes before and figured I'd mostly be using it with milk; buying a lot of a cheaper matcha seemed to be the smartest choice.

Now that I know I like matcha, and if you know you like matcha, I would recommend getting one of their higher grades. I've heard good things about their Yuuki Midori and Sakuraka. I am also keeping my eye on their Iroka for future purchases. The Yuuki Konjo isn't bad, but when I drink it, I find myself longing for something better. :lol:

As for the chawan, it's a beauty. I have very special one-of-a-kind chawan by artisans, yet I love to pull this one out and stare at it just as much as the others. You won't be disappointed.

Mar 15th, '11, 23:51

by greentam » Mar 15th, '11, 23:51

Yes, I did. I bought the 100g bag of their Yuuki Konjo, which is their entry-level, cheapest grade, though now it's sold in smaller packets. I was trying matcha alone for the first time, but I had had matcha lattes before and figured I'd mostly be using it with milk; buying a lot of a cheaper matcha seemed to be the smartest choice.

Now that I know I like matcha, and if you know you like matcha, I would recommend getting one of their higher grades. I've heard good things about their Yuuki Midori and Sakuraka. I am also keeping my eye on their Iroka for future purchases. The Yuuki Konjo isn't bad, but when I drink it, I find myself longing for something better. :lol:

As for the chawan, it's a beauty. I have very special one-of-a-kind chawan by artisans, yet I love to pull this one out and stare at it just as much as the others. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I have been interested in matcha since I really enjoy the lattes, but was unsure of how much I'd like the powder. But your milk idea just sounds tasty! Something about matcha (to me at least!) is super crave able, even though something about the smell is still odd to me. LOL matcha and chai are all I need to feel relaxed and jolly all day!

Mar 16th, '11, 06:57

by Drax » Mar 16th, '11, 06:57

karmaplace wrote:If it looks strange to you, it's because I blended today's matcha with a frozen banana and a few cups of milk. Mmmmmmmm. Blasphemy tastes so good. :mrgreen:
Ah, my first chawan is also from Yuukicha... or whenever they were still Japanese Green Tea. Anyway, the matcha/banana smoothie looks and sounds incredible... I will definitely have to try that one out soon!

Mar 16th, '11, 12:29

by Seeker » Mar 16th, '11, 12:29

Really beautiful first chawan Karma - I really like it, and your photo communicates its beauty very nicely. Makes me want one just like it in my hands and warmed by a fresh froth of matcha!

My favorite matcha hands down (of all matchas I've had so far) is Yuuki's Tenkei Hana. Mmmmmm.

+ Post Reply