Sep 27th, '14, 01:02
Posts: 774
Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 08:20
Location: not anymore Bangkok, not really arrived in Germany

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by theredbaron » Sep 27th, '14, 01:02

Since a while i had the urge to play and experiment with Matcha again (25 years ago i dabbled a bit with Matcha). After looking for some time i found a cheap but for the time being nice enough bowl. For the start i want to spend as little as i can, while still making this an aesthetic experience. I was the only bidder on this bowl on the auction site, it was advertised as a ca. 20 year old Kyoto pottery Ido style Chawan, and i got it for 25 bucks, and wait for its arrival. Maybe some of the more experienced members can give some comments on the bowl?
Attachments
G855_01.jpg
G855_01.jpg (21.85 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
G855_07.jpg
G855_07.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
G855_11.jpg
G855_11.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 2083 times

User avatar
Sep 27th, '14, 10:22
Posts: 51
Joined: Sep 24th, '14, 09:26
Location: NYC

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Puk » Sep 27th, '14, 10:22

blairswhitaker wrote: Image
That is the most beautiful (chawan?) that I've seen in a while. *dies

User avatar
Sep 29th, '14, 09:22
Posts: 380
Joined: Jan 5th, '14, 06:48
Location: Sneeeeaking

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Fuut » Sep 29th, '14, 09:22

theredbaron wrote:Maybe some of the more experienced members can give some comments on the bowl?
Seems to me like a lovely bowl. Has steep walls, so perhaps a photo of the inside would help getting advice on whisking etc.

But really complete with box (if its the original and even if its not) - for 25 dollar you really can't find much wrong with it (giving its not cracked and/or chipped) but it looks mint.

Sep 29th, '14, 14:21
Posts: 774
Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 08:20
Location: not anymore Bangkok, not really arrived in Germany

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by theredbaron » Sep 29th, '14, 14:21

Fuut wrote:
theredbaron wrote:Maybe some of the more experienced members can give some comments on the bowl?
Seems to me like a lovely bowl. Has steep walls, so perhaps a photo of the inside would help getting advice on whisking etc.

But really complete with box (if its the original and even if its not) - for 25 dollar you really can't find much wrong with it (giving its not cracked and/or chipped) but it looks mint.

Thanks :)

There were many pics, and i could not find any cracks or chips. It's at its widest 5.1 Inches, and 3.5 inches tall. Here is a pic of the inside:
Attachments
G855_09.jpg
G855_09.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

User avatar
Sep 29th, '14, 15:16
Posts: 380
Joined: Jan 5th, '14, 06:48
Location: Sneeeeaking

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Fuut » Sep 29th, '14, 15:16

Its quite a big bowl by the dimensions, but it all depends on the feeling when you have it in your hands.

Seems like a pretty nice bowl, the lowest inner part doesn't seem quite flat though. For instance most Raku chawan will have a nice flat 'valley' on the inside which is nice for whisking (google it:). Although you might have problems the first few times (if you're not used to it) eventually you'll find out what works.

Have you got some matcha to try it with?:)


Edit: FYI, i should mention I've at best a novice on Japanese tea ware, and an absolute monkey on Korean wares.

Sep 29th, '14, 15:50
Posts: 774
Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 08:20
Location: not anymore Bangkok, not really arrived in Germany

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by theredbaron » Sep 29th, '14, 15:50

Fuut wrote:Its quite a big bowl by the dimensions, but it all depends on the feeling when you have it in your hands.

Seems like a pretty nice bowl, the lowest inner part doesn't seem quite flat though. For instance most Raku chawan will have a nice flat 'valley' on the inside which is nice for whisking (google it:). Although you might have problems the first few times (if you're not used to it) eventually you'll find out what works.

Have you got some matcha to try it with?:)


Edit: FYI, i should mention I've at best a novice on Japanese tea ware, and an absolute monkey on Korean wares.

The Matcha arrived already, the bowl is still in the post. The Chasen comes again from another seller. I will soon see how it goes. I bought a mid range Matcha first. Until i am comfortable with the technical aspects i don't want to waste high quality tea.

User avatar
Oct 1st, '14, 13:57
Posts: 380
Joined: Jan 5th, '14, 06:48
Location: Sneeeeaking

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Fuut » Oct 1st, '14, 13:57

If you have a camera ready, don't forget to make some shots to share:)

User avatar
Oct 6th, '14, 21:44
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 20th, '13, 16:58
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Maryland

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by ShawnP » Oct 6th, '14, 21:44

Haven't been on in a while, life got in the way. Some beautiful Chawan posted since i've been away.

Grats to all, hope you enjoy.


Will have something to post up soon enough :D


What up Seeker.......


Shawn

Oct 7th, '14, 07:38
Posts: 774
Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 08:20
Location: not anymore Bangkok, not really arrived in Germany

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by theredbaron » Oct 7th, '14, 07:38

Fuut wrote:If you have a camera ready, don't forget to make some shots to share:)

The Chawan arrived, and most of the other stuff. It's perfect, very easy to whisk the Matcha, very comfortable to hold, and also the flow of the tea is very good.
When i have some time i will take a photo and post it here.

Oct 18th, '14, 03:17
Posts: 774
Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 08:20
Location: not anymore Bangkok, not really arrived in Germany

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by theredbaron » Oct 18th, '14, 03:17

I am getting now increasingly comfortable with the process. I love the rapid energy rush i am getting from my daily bowl. The Chawan itself it perfect - large, very comfortable to whisk the tea, to hold and to drink from. The bamboo caddy i bought somewhere around 25 years ago in a now closed Japanese shop in my home town in a time when i started off getting into Asian tea.
Attachments
IMG_0859.jpg
IMG_0859.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
IMG_0860.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

User avatar
Oct 18th, '14, 09:09
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 20th, '13, 16:58
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Maryland

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by ShawnP » Oct 18th, '14, 09:09

Nice looking Chawan. I like the contrast from bowl to Matcha.

Enjoy

Shawn

User avatar
Oct 20th, '14, 13:22
Posts: 26
Joined: Mar 30th, '14, 06:20
Location: Slovenia

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by PaddyB » Oct 20th, '14, 13:22

So, today I bought my first chawan ever. I have never tried matcha, but you guys speak so well of it that I started to build my own matcha set. Starting with chawan, of course.
It was made by Anja Slapničar, a local potter. It seems like this shino piece started off as an ugly duckling (she fired it multiple times - at first she wasn't happy with the glaze) but turned out really beautiful. The inside is well curved and lovely pink in colour, with nice green "pool" in the middle (will post photo tomorrow). I am curious what you guys think about it.
Image
Image

User avatar
Oct 21st, '14, 13:08
Posts: 1675
Joined: May 22nd, '09, 04:23
Location: Northern California

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Seeker » Oct 21st, '14, 13:08

ShawnP wrote:Nice looking Chawan. I like the contrast from bowl to Matcha.
Enjoy
Shawn
Agreed!
Looks good RB.
Hope you enjoyed it!

Hiya Shawn!

That's a nice looking chawan Paddy - looking forward to seeing it in use!
:wink:

User avatar
Oct 21st, '14, 13:23
Posts: 26
Joined: Mar 30th, '14, 06:20
Location: Slovenia

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by PaddyB » Oct 21st, '14, 13:23

Ok, a few more photos:
Image
Lovely pink inside. Waste water pot in the back is made by myself.
Image
Zoomed in texture:
Image

Oct 21st, '14, 14:10
Posts: 774
Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 08:20
Location: not anymore Bangkok, not really arrived in Germany

Re: Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by theredbaron » Oct 21st, '14, 14:10

Seeker wrote:
ShawnP wrote:Nice looking Chawan. I like the contrast from bowl to Matcha.
Enjoy
Shawn
Agreed!
Looks good RB.
Hope you enjoyed it!

Hiya Shawn!

That's a nice looking chawan Paddy - looking forward to seeing it in use!
:wink:


Thanks a lot, folks :)

I love it, and enjoy it every day. My whisking skills begin to improve as well, doesn't feel as awkward as at the beginning. Still much room for improvement though.
I have been looking for quite a while for a Chawan i like, and which doesn't break the wallet. I like the understated beauty of it, very simple and natural. And as you said, the contrast between the tea and the glazing is quite striking. Every time before drinking i just watch it a bit.

+ Post Reply