Aug 24th, '10, 11:29

Re: Celadon Ru Kiln Gaiwan

by Ambrose » Aug 24th, '10, 11:29

Zensuji wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Tobias wrote:Dragon Tea House has a 60ml Ru Kiln Gaiwan, I've been thinking about getting one instead of a travel set to get a small gaiwan.
thats the one I used to own, I loved it! It was my top fav of all my gaiwans
Did it die? :lol:
:mrgreen:
I sold it after I stropped drinking oolongs, black, whites
I just drink sencha now :D

Aug 24th, '10, 11:31

by nonc_ron » Aug 24th, '10, 11:31

Zensuji wrote:My ru kiln stuff is white and I can confirm it does go a rather unattractive yellow.
Sounds like you could have too much iron in your water.
You may want to get it tested or just buy a filter. :(

Aug 24th, '10, 11:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 24th, '10, 11:45

Ambrose wrote:
Zensuji wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Tobias wrote:Dragon Tea House has a 60ml Ru Kiln Gaiwan, I've been thinking about getting one instead of a travel set to get a small gaiwan.
thats the one I used to own, I loved it! It was my top fav of all my gaiwans
Did it die? :lol:
:mrgreen:
I sold it after I stropped drinking oolongs, black, whites
I just drink sencha now :D
Whoaaa!! Seriously?

Aug 24th, '10, 11:51

by Ambrose » Aug 24th, '10, 11:51

yup, other teas just dont do it for me, oh I still drink sheng in the winter :D

Aug 24th, '10, 12:18
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 24th, '10, 12:18

Usage of the word Ru Kiln is so loose these days.... its confusing.... :lol:
A tea sets that's suppose to be Celadon. :roll:
Last edited by TIM on Aug 24th, '10, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 24th, '10, 12:20

by Chip » Aug 24th, '10, 12:20

TIM wrote:Usage of the word Ru Kiln is so [loose] these days.... its confusing.... :lol:
Please enlighten us! :idea: :mrgreen:

Aug 24th, '10, 12:34

by alan logan » Aug 24th, '10, 12:34

mr. Less wrote:My ru kiln stuff is white and can confirm it does go a rather unattractive yellow. Thinking of getting some green stuff.

is there no way of avoiding this, or is this something that happens with every white ru kiln?
i have some small light green celadon cups, and because i didnt rinse them with water after usage, some of the cups now have a nasty yellow ring at the bottom
i can not seem to get it cleaned
you may try this:
> after rinsing with boiling water, rub the stained surface while hot with a piece of cotton (the type that is used for makeup removal, pure cotton, not the ones that are sold some lotion already on them)
> if it it not enough, use calcium carbonate. you put a bit of powder in the cup, add hot water and rub gently with coton. then rinse. calcium carbonate is non-abrasive on the glaze, odorless, has no chemical action and does not stay in the veins. very efficient on all glazes.
Do not use sodium bicarbonate, which is too abrasive --although you may fill the vessel with water+ sodium bicarbonate and let it sit for a few hours, but I am not sure the vein patina would be unaffected.
>Kaolin in superfine powder form could be ok too, you can use it dry or add just a bit of water (but with celadon I would use it dry then rinse).
> salt dissolved in warm water cleans a lot of things and goes away with rinsing, maybe that would work. not sure about the vein patina though.
> citric acid is natural, very effective on stains and calcium deposits, but I think it would also be way too effective on the vein patina.

even with a very soft method it is possible that fresh patina can faint a little, but it will rebuild quickly. The "old", well impregnated patina would be ok.
calcium carbonate (or kaolin) should not be used on unglazed and porous wares, of course.

Aug 24th, '10, 12:44
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 24th, '10, 12:44

Chip wrote:
TIM wrote:Usage of the word Ru Kiln is so [loose] these days.... its confusing.... :lol:
Please enlighten us! :idea: :mrgreen:
Well... Chip... let me try to embarrass myself by quoting the "Google University":

'The Ru Kiln was established in 1107 AD, during the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) to produce items only for imperial use. The kiln was in production during the reigns of Emperors Huizong (1100-1126) and Qinzong (1126-1127), until 1127 when production was halted with the defeat of the Northern Song Dynasty by the Jin Dynasty....' The Kiln and the Dynasty was long gone, so anything reassembling the name is very loose. Like requiring a Babylon Olive jar from Baghdad nowadays.

Here is a possible Ru Kiln Celadon from the Song:
http://theteagallery.blogspot.com/2008/ ... aware.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wL0XP7aHogE/S ... pale01.jpg

I think currently, there are kilns around the original site in Henan province which trying to reproduce this lost recipe?

Aug 24th, '10, 12:48

by Chip » Aug 24th, '10, 12:48

Thank you, Tim. Makes sense.

Aug 24th, '10, 15:33

by Alex » Aug 24th, '10, 15:33

nonc_ron wrote:
Zensuji wrote:My ru kiln stuff is white and I can confirm it does go a rather unattractive yellow.
Sounds like you could have too much iron in your water.
You may want to get it tested or just buy a filter. :(
Its all been tested a year back and the water is fine. Plus I filter my water already. Its just with the galze being slightly matte it stains over time.

I think my white cups are slightly under used though so I'm going to stick loads of tea in them over the next couple of months and maybe they'll stain up better.

Sep 6th, '10, 11:58

by Alex » Sep 6th, '10, 11:58

Well after using my white ru kiln stuff loads over the last couple of weeks its stained up beautifully. SO much so I bought some more...a moon white cup 120ml.

CIMG7350.JPG
CIMG7350.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
Here's a picture from the booklet that came with it. At the top is unused at the bottom is used.
CIMG7353.JPG
CIMG7353.JPG (37.24 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
On the left jade, middle reddish/yellow and on the right the moon white.

Sorry for poor pics....just a cheap digi cam and my photo skills are poor

Sep 6th, '10, 12:31

by nonc_ron » Sep 6th, '10, 12:31

Zensuji wrote:Well after using my white ru kiln stuff loads over the last couple of weeks its stained up beautifully. SO much so I bought some more...a moon white cup 120ml.
What do you tell people when they say g_ _ d_ _ don't you ever wash your cups? I usually say I don't like the taste of soap. Anyone know of a better quote I could use? Image

Sep 6th, '10, 13:32

by Alex » Sep 6th, '10, 13:32

nonc_ron wrote:
Zensuji wrote:Well after using my white ru kiln stuff loads over the last couple of weeks its stained up beautifully. SO much so I bought some more...a moon white cup 120ml.
What do you tell people when they say g_ _ d_ _ don't you ever wash your cups? I usually say I don't like the taste of soap. Anyone know of a better quote I could use? Image
I stare at them and say "but that would wash away their souls" if they tell me to stop staring I dont.....I just flicker one eye in a crazed fashion.

Sep 9th, '10, 18:11

by Ambrose » Sep 9th, '10, 18:11

I used to have that same tea bowl the moon white monk bowl ru kiln, also the bamboo hat shaped ones too :( Sold now well traded for sheng :mrgreen:

Sep 12th, '10, 04:31

by Alex » Sep 12th, '10, 04:31

I love this cup....really good size for loads of tea. Not as good on taste as porcelain IMO but the feel in the hand and weight go a long way into making tea more enjoyable.

+ Post Reply