Apr 15th, '06, 20:21

Who uses a Gaiwan?

by deadalchemist » Apr 15th, '06, 20:21

Does anyone use a Gaiwan? I'm considering buying one and so i'm wondering how well that brew method works. It seems really cool to have that little cup.... yeah. :D Anyway, is there a difference in the taste of the tea with this different brewing method? I read up a bit on it and it seems to be really full of ritual (i guess also depending on who you are). I find it intriguing, so if anybody uses one, let me know how it is. Thanks in advance!

Apr 15th, '06, 21:05

by Warden Andy » Apr 15th, '06, 21:05

I use a gaiwan. It's definately the best vessel I've used for green and white tea. It's also very good for any other type of tea, but is not the best.

I would definately reccomend getting one. If you are used to making tea in larger quantities, you'll definately find a gaiwan to make tea better. You can add more tea leaves, and lower the brewing time to get a more flavorful cup of tea. You'll also still get a lot of tea from later infusions. It just takes a lot of practice and some getting used to to use a gaiwan.

Apr 15th, '06, 21:40

by MarshalN » Apr 15th, '06, 21:40

It is by far the most versatile way of brewing tea. Using a yixing pot limits you (ideally) to one type of tea per pot. Gaiwan allows you to brew any kind of tea with a good amount of control over leaves, taste, brewing time, etc. I'd highly recommend getting a cheap one to start off with and play with it.

Apr 16th, '06, 00:23

by rabbit » Apr 16th, '06, 00:23

the only problem I've found with the guiwan is that if you drink directly from it and you don't finish the cup fast enough it gets bitter, so I usualy use my gaiwan just to steep the leaves and then pour it into cups... it's definately the best way to make green teas, I haven't really tried many other types, I don't like making oolong in it because the water is just a little too hot and the gaiwan is very thin so it can burn your hand (unless you're really calloused or something).
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Apr 16th, '06, 11:22

by Warden Andy » Apr 16th, '06, 11:22

rabbit wrote:I haven't really tried many other types, I don't like making oolong in it because the water is just a little too hot and the gaiwan is very thin so it can burn your hand (unless you're really calloused or something).
That's why you pick it up with the plate.

Apr 16th, '06, 18:49

by deadalchemist » Apr 16th, '06, 18:49

Andy - I was just curious as to why you said a Gaiwan is not the best for other teas (aside from white and green). Why would it make a difference? I drink mostly herbal teas.

It sounds like it would be a wise choice to buy one for myself. With that said, first off - thanks for everyone's help. Second, where can i go about buying one now? Would I have to go to a special kitchen-ware shop or am I better off just buying one online?

Apr 16th, '06, 22:59

by kodama » Apr 16th, '06, 22:59

Live anywhere near a Chinatown?

Apr 16th, '06, 23:07

by Warden Andy » Apr 16th, '06, 23:07

It can brew any kind of tea well, but teas like wulong or puerh come out better when brewed in a yixing teapot. Porcelain gaiwans lose heat faster which is excellent for green and white teas, but wulong and puerh come out better when brewed in something that holds heat better.

For tisanes, it would probably brew just as well in another vessel, as it would in a gaiwan. Although it seems like you just like gaiwans, so brewing with one would just make the experience of brewing tea better.

I haven't seen any gaiwans sold in stores in the U.S, so you'll probably have to order one online. I got mine from this site: http://www.sundialgardens.com/teaMugs,Guywans.htm I have the blue mountain one. If you get that one, you'll be the third person on this forum to have that one.

http://www.funalliance.com has some nice cheap gaiwans, but will take a while to ship.
Edit: After getting a new gaiwan from them, I strongly recommend getting from them. It's cheaper, and the gaiwan is a lot better than the one I had before. It also only took a week to get here.

Or you can do a search for them. Search both "gaiwan" and "guywan," and see if there's a site that has a gaiwan you like.
Last edited by Warden Andy on May 13th, '06, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 16th, '06, 23:12

by MarshalN » Apr 16th, '06, 23:12

I'd second the funalliance suggestion, it's fairly reliable and not expensive. You want to get a small, not a large, gaiwan. The larger it is, the more tea you'll be drinking and the more leaves you need.

Apr 20th, '06, 17:40

by Molly » Apr 20th, '06, 17:40

Andy wrote: I haven't seen any gaiwans sold in stores in the U.S, so you'll probably have to order one online. I got mine from this site: http://www.sundialgardens.com/teaMugs,Guywans.htm I have the blue mountain one. If you get that one, you'll be the third person on this forum to have that one.
Make that the 4th. I just bought a gaiwan from a shop on EBay the other day with the blue mountain design on it. Pretty pleased too....$6.00 plus shipping. :D
Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.

~Thich Nat Hahn~

Apr 20th, '06, 17:51

by MarshalN » Apr 20th, '06, 17:51

I have one too. I have fancier gaiwans, but I had this habit of breaking my nice ones, so now I just use the cheap stuff.

Apr 28th, '06, 01:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 28th, '06, 01:13

...I don't have one yet...but I am looking. I have wanted one for years, just never got it done. I would prefer seeing it in person before purchasing...living in PA Dutch Country doesn't help. Occationally I get to Phillie, NY, and DC. Hopefully I will find one...but I don't know if I can wait. There are plenty on the internet to choose from.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 9th, '06, 02:36

by Tea_Me » May 9th, '06, 02:36

Gaiwans are awesome! My husband and I teach classes on the Pleasures of Tea and always use a gaiwan to demonstrate tea brewing. It does give you wonderful control over the flavor of your tea. Plus it's an even more zen experience as you become one with the tea...or whatever. I've seen them at Sur La Table. Once you've mastered the gaiwan, you'll never go back.
"I'm not interested in immortality but only in tea flavour." - Lu Tung

+ Post Reply