Apr 17th, '16, 14:46

Tokoname Kyusu in Boiling Water to Remove Stains

by Griff » Apr 17th, '16, 14:46

I have a tokoname kyusu that I use quite regularly. I'm diligent about giving it a good clean after every use, but over time the wrap around stainless steel filter has acquired a very noticeable stain up to the waterline of my brews.

A few years back, I vaguely recall seeing a video of someone submerging a Tokoname kyusu in a pot of boiling water. I believe they did this to "freshen" up the teapot.

Has anyone tried this? Think it will help with my stain?

Apr 17th, '16, 15:00

Re: Tokoname Kyusu in Boiling Water to Remove Stains

by .m. » Apr 17th, '16, 15:00

Griff wrote:I have a tokoname kyusu that I use quite regularly. I'm diligent about giving it a good clean after every use, but over time the wrap around stainless steel filter has acquired a very noticeable stain up to the waterline of my brews.

A few years back, I vaguely recall seeing a video of someone submerging a Tokoname kyusu in a pot of boiling water. I believe they did this to "freshen" up the teapot.

Has anyone tried this? Think it will help with my stain?

Boiling in water might "freshen it", but i don't think i will clean up the stains (if that's what you wanna do). Baking soda + toothbrush works great for cleaning tea-stained mesh filters.

Apr 18th, '16, 10:45

by Griff » Apr 18th, '16, 10:45

.m. wrote: Boiling in water might "freshen it", but i don't think i will clean up the stains (if that's what you wanna do). Baking soda + toothbrush works great for cleaning tea-stained mesh filters.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

As my teapot is unglazed, I was hoping to avoid baking soda (I'm a bit paranoid about cleaning products altering the taste of my brews) but I'll definitely give the toothbrush a try.

Feb 10th, '19, 04:50

by AromaTeaRaffi » Feb 10th, '19, 04:50

Happy I saw this thread :) That was exactly what I was thinking like I feel baking soda could influence the Kyusu strongly. Not to mention it's also kinda abrasive.

+ Post Reply