Jun 16th, '16, 00:43

How often do cracks grow?

by javi_sanchez » Jun 16th, '16, 00:43

So I've gotten two pots this year that ended up with cracks. The first was a jiangponi pot from Lukevecent off ebay:

http://i.imgur.com/C64TpWS.jpg

The second is a pot from Essence of Tea:

http://i.imgur.com/iRwRDlH.jpg

You can see it coming down from the top. None of these cracks leak. The jiangponi pot sounds like air is escaping out of it when I first do a boil which is interesting otherwise brewing is not affected. Do cracks like this often grow?

Jun 16th, '16, 02:25

Re: How often do cracks grow?

by Tead Off » Jun 16th, '16, 02:25

javi_sanchez wrote:So I've gotten two pots this year that ended up with cracks. The first was a jiangponi pot from Lukevecent off ebay:

You can see it coming down from the top. None of these cracks leak. The jiangponi pot sounds like air is escaping out of it when I first do a boil which is interesting otherwise brewing is not affected. Do cracks like this often grow?
I've only had cracking on one pot and it is a very thin shuiping I bought in the late 80's. But, yours are both sturdy looking and am wondering why they would crack at all?

The one from ebay is a horizontal crack which I've never seen on a pot before. Could it be something from the mould that it was made from?

The EOT pot will probably continue to crack, but at what rate I don't know. Mine started like yours then continued all the way to the bottom. I still brew tea in it and it does work. Occasionally, I see some tiny bubbling out of the crack. It no longer has the ringing sound it used to. Indeed, it has been compromised, but it still has sentimental value to me.

I would talk to both vendors and tell them the problem.

Jun 16th, '16, 20:32
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 16th, '16, 20:32

If you take care to prewarm your pots by pouring warm water over the outside and inside before they get boiling water, you'll lessen the thermal shock they get and this will prevent cracks (and the cracks from spreading). You didn't hit them with boiling water on a cold day did you?

Jun 16th, '16, 22:43

by Ferg » Jun 16th, '16, 22:43

jayinhk wrote:If you take care to prewarm your pots by pouring warm water over the outside and inside before they get boiling water, you'll lessen the thermal shock they get and this will prevent cracks (and the cracks from spreading). You didn't hit them with boiling water on a cold day did you?
When you mention prewarming pots, at what temperature? More specifically, is this something that has to be done with every session? While I agree that taking this approach is assuredly safer, it seems tedious to have to do so every time making a tea.

Regardless of functionality despite cracks, I personally wouldn't be happy with such cracks on any given teapot. I would also suggest reaching out to each vendor to see if they can remedy the situation, somehow. Especially given the fact these were purchased only this year.

Jun 16th, '16, 23:09

by javi_sanchez » Jun 16th, '16, 23:09

No I got the pot weeks ago so it has not seen a cold day. I tend to prewarm my expensive pots like these. I've emailed EOT to see what they say. I may ask for a replacement. I quite like that pot.
jayinhk wrote:If you take care to prewarm your pots by pouring warm water over the outside and inside before they get boiling water, you'll lessen the thermal shock they get and this will prevent cracks (and the cracks from spreading). You didn't hit them with boiling water on a cold day did you?

Jun 16th, '16, 23:10

by javi_sanchez » Jun 16th, '16, 23:10

I emailed EOT, I might ask for a replacement given that it's their #1 clay and quite expensive. The jianponi pot I'm not too worried about. It appears to be a flaw in the making when the top is attached to the body. How long did yours take to crack? Was it years or months?
Tead Off wrote:
javi_sanchez wrote:So I've gotten two pots this year that ended up with cracks. The first was a jiangponi pot from Lukevecent off ebay:

I've only had cracking on one pot and it is a very thin shuiping I bought in the late 80's. But, yours are both sturdy looking and am wondering why they would crack at all?

The one from ebay is a horizontal crack which I've never seen on a pot before. Could it be something from the mould that it was made from?

The EOT pot will probably continue to crack, but at what rate I don't know. Mine started like yours then continued all the way to the bottom. I still brew tea in it and it does work. Occasionally, I see some tiny bubbling out of the crack. It no longer has the ringing sound it used to. Indeed, it has been compromised, but it still has sentimental value to me.

Jun 16th, '16, 23:51
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 16th, '16, 23:51

Ferg wrote:
When you mention prewarming pots, at what temperature? More specifically, is this something that has to be done with every session? While I agree that taking this approach is assuredly safer, it seems tedious to have to do so every time making a tea.

Regardless of functionality despite cracks, I personally wouldn't be happy with such cracks on any given teapot. I would also suggest reaching out to each vendor to see if they can remedy the situation, somehow. Especially given the fact these were purchased only this year.
I actually rinse all my pots with cold tap water before brewing, then pour water off the boil around the rim of the pot so both the inside and outside get heated. I use cooler water with pots that are new or havent been used in a while. No cracks yet!

Jun 17th, '16, 02:06

by Tead Off » Jun 17th, '16, 02:06

javi_sanchez wrote:I emailed EOT, I might ask for a replacement given that it's their #1 clay and quite expensive. The jianponi pot I'm not too worried about. It appears to be a flaw in the making when the top is attached to the body. How long did yours take to crack? Was it years or months?
Tead Off wrote:

I think it took years. Mine is the thinnest Yixing I have ever seen. Akin to eggshell porcelain.

+ Post Reply