Aug 19th 16 3:39 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by Bok » Aug 19th 16 3:39 am

Dear all,

Quick research did not yield anything on this forum so my question is:

Is unglazed porcelain suitable for medium to long term tea storage?
Regular clay is porous so probably not ideal, now wondering if the properties for porcelain are the same?

Secondly, what if the inside and outside bottom part are left unglazed?

Any opinions are most appreciated!

Aug 19th 16 3:54 am
Posts: 672
Joined: Feb 12th 10 6:09 pm
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by steanze » Aug 19th 16 3:54 am

Bok wrote:Dear all,

Quick research did not yield anything on this forum so my question is:

Is unglazed porcelain suitable for medium to long term tea storage?
Regular clay is porous so probably not ideal, now wondering if the properties for porcelain are the same?

Secondly, what if the inside and outside bottom part are left unglazed?

Any opinions are most appreciated!
Hi Bok :)
What tea do you need to store?

Aug 19th 16 3:58 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by Bok » Aug 19th 16 3:58 am

steanze wrote: Hi Bok :)
What tea do you need to store?
Hello Steanze :)
Roasted oolong. Normally I would go for a more traditional inside-glazed porcelain jar or woodfired clay, but a nice only partly glazed jar in a more interesting shape recently caught my eye, which is why I was wondering if it could be used for long-term storage as well.

Aug 19th 16 4:15 am
Posts: 672
Joined: Feb 12th 10 6:09 pm
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by steanze » Aug 19th 16 4:15 am

Bok wrote:
steanze wrote: Hi Bok :)
What tea do you need to store?
Hello Steanze :)
Roasted oolong. Normally I would go for a more traditional inside-glazed porcelain jar or woodfired clay, but a nice only partly glazed jar in a more interesting shape recently caught my eye, which is why I was wondering if it could be used for long-term storage as well.
mm how roasted? Considering the humidity in Taiwan, I'd try a more sealed solution, and I'd seal it on a relatively dry day. Unless it's dryer in your house because of air conditioning, in which case it should be fine. The risk with high humidity is sourness.

Aug 19th 16 4:19 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by Bok » Aug 19th 16 4:19 am

steanze wrote: mm how roasted? Considering the humidity in Taiwan, I'd try a more sealed solution, and I'd seal it on a relatively dry day. Unless it's dryer in your house because of air conditioning, in which case it should be fine. The risk with high humidity is sourness.
That particular one is heavy roasted.

By more sealed, do you mean another material, or to seal it with wax. Wax seal was planned in any case.

Not too humid in the appt. aircon is mostly on these days. Taiwan has been crazy hot these few months!

Aug 19th 16 4:27 am
Posts: 672
Joined: Feb 12th 10 6:09 pm
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by steanze » Aug 19th 16 4:27 am

Bok wrote:
steanze wrote: mm how roasted? Considering the humidity in Taiwan, I'd try a more sealed solution, and I'd seal it on a relatively dry day. Unless it's dryer in your house because of air conditioning, in which case it should be fine. The risk with high humidity is sourness.
That particular one is heavy roasted.

By more sealed, do you mean another material, or to seal it with wax. Wax seal was planned in any case.

Not too humid in the appt. aircon is mostly on these days. Taiwan has been crazy hot these few months!
I meant wax. If it's relatively dry and you wax seal I think it should work well :)

Aug 19th 16 4:33 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by Bok » Aug 19th 16 4:33 am

steanze wrote: I meant wax. If it's relatively dry and you wax seal I think it should work well :)
Thanks!

Aug 19th 16 4:55 am
Posts: 672
Joined: Feb 12th 10 6:09 pm
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by steanze » Aug 19th 16 4:55 am

Bok wrote:
steanze wrote: I meant wax. If it's relatively dry and you wax seal I think it should work well :)
Thanks!
welcome :)

User avatar
Aug 19th 16 6:52 am
Posts: 541
Joined: Aug 19th 15 11:03 am
Location: on the road

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by kuánglóng » Aug 19th 16 6:52 am

I second wax but prefer paraffin over bee's wax since the latter could impart an unwanted scent to your leaves (depending on how much you're using, surface area, temperatures, yadda yadda). Done right (glazed porcelain, good seal) you end up with much better aroma sealing than you'd get from standard plastic bags. I keep some of my oolongs and mao cha in porcelain (ginger) jars and they're maturing just fine but actually prefer multi-layer aluminum bags since you can easily get rid of most of the air inside - they just don't look as nice as porcelain jars :?

Aug 19th 16 7:03 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Unglazed porcelain for storage?

by Bok » Aug 19th 16 7:03 am

kuánglóng wrote:I second wax but prefer paraffin over bee's wax since the latter could impart an unwanted scent to your leaves (depending on how much you're using, surface area, temperatures, yadda yadda). Done right (glazed porcelain, good seal) you end up with much better aroma sealing than you'd get from standard plastic bags. I keep some of my oolongs and mao cha in porcelain (ginger) jars and they're maturing just fine but actually prefer multi-layer aluminum bags since you can easily get rid of most of the air inside - they just don't look as nice as porcelain jars :?
I was going to use seal wax, doesn’t smell anything either.

Yes those bags don’t look too nice… but they do a good job.