Oct 13th, '16, 13:40

Banko Kyusu for Aged Puerh

by doudou » Oct 13th, '16, 13:40

I recently acquired a beautiful banko kyusu made from purple clay. Originally I intended to make Japanese green tea with it, I tried sencha and it wasn't to my liking. Just wondering if the teapot would be suitable for aged Puerh.

Oct 13th, '16, 14:34

Re: Banko Kyusu for Aged Puerh

by kuánglóng » Oct 13th, '16, 14:34

doudou wrote:I recently acquired a beautiful banko kyusu made from purple clay. Originally I intended to make Japanese green tea with it, I tried sencha and it wasn't to my liking. Just wondering if the teapot would be suitable for aged Puerh.
Only you can answer that question. Just take your time, give it a couple tries and see how it works or which teas perform best in that pot. I'd also experiment with comparative brewings - kiusu vs. gaiwan and/or other pots you own. Don't worry about not being able to switch to another type of tea later on. I've done this quite a few times with some of my clay pots and after a few sessions (if at all) they don't remember anything from their past life.

Oct 13th, '16, 23:15

by Tead Off » Oct 13th, '16, 23:15

doudou wrote:I recently acquired a beautiful banko kyusu made from purple clay. Originally I intended to make Japanese green tea with it, I tried sencha and it wasn't to my liking. Just wondering if the teapot would be suitable for aged Puerh.
I'm wondering if you didn't like sencha, or sencha in the banko teapot? Sencha is something of an acquired taste for many. It was for me. However, the banko pot is probably my preferred vessel for sencha.

Regarding puerh, I have used banko many times for puerhs of all ages. I've had very good results with it even thought I regularly use hongni Yixing pots for them.

Oct 18th, '16, 08:55

by doudou » Oct 18th, '16, 08:55

Thanks for all the suggestions. It does seem to be less porous than my other yixing pots, so I will try it with a few other teas.

@Tead Off, you are right, Sencha is an acquired taste. It has a unique flavor that is not present in any of the Chinese tea. I really do enjoy Genmaicha but didn't want to brew it in a banko kyusu. Is there any reason why hongni is better than purple clay for different types of tea?

Oct 18th, '16, 10:25

by Tead Off » Oct 18th, '16, 10:25

doudou wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. It does seem to be less porous than my other yixing pots, so I will try it with a few other teas.

@Tead Off, you are right, Sencha is an acquired taste. It has a unique flavor that is not present in any of the Chinese tea. I really do enjoy Genmaicha but didn't want to brew it in a banko kyusu. Is there any reason why hongni is better than purple clay for different types of tea?
I don't think hongni pots are necessarily better than purple clays. The reason I don't use Puerh regularly in my Banko is because I want to drink sencha from it and don't want any other build up from other types of tea in the pot. So, I specifically brew senchas in my Banko pots.

I've had good results using purple Yixing for puerh teas, too. I like using different clays for different things, and eventually you find pots that just go with a particular tea.

Oct 24th, '16, 16:12

by doudou » Oct 24th, '16, 16:12

I don't think hongni pots are necessarily better than purple clays. The reason I don't use Puerh regularly in my Banko is because I want to drink sencha from it and don't want any other build up from other types of tea in the pot. So, I specifically brew senchas in my Banko pots.

I've had good results using purple Yixing for puerh teas, too. I like using different clays for different things, and eventually you find pots that just go with a particular tea.
Thank you for the reply. It was implied on certain tea websites that certain clay types are better suited to different tea. I guess it is trial and error until I find what my personal preferences are.

Oct 24th, '16, 20:17
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 24th, '16, 20:17

Tead Off wrote: I like using different clays for different things, and eventually you find pots that just go with a particular tea.
Tead Off, Do you have a type of tea you is prepared best in your porcelain pots that are glazed on the outside & unglazed inside?

Oct 24th, '16, 23:28

by Tead Off » Oct 24th, '16, 23:28

ethan wrote:
Tead Off wrote: I like using different clays for different things, and eventually you find pots that just go with a particular tea.
Tead Off, Do you have a type of tea you is prepared best in your porcelain pots that are glazed on the outside & unglazed inside?
These kinds of teapots can be used with all types of teas. Experimentation is key. I like Korean greens in these types of pots.

+ Post Reply