Jan 26th, '17, 01:34

Re: Another old pot from the inlaws…

by kyarazen » Jan 26th, '17, 01:34

steanze wrote:Hi Bok,

Nice pot, that size is so handy for yancha. There are 6 character seals until the early-mid '60s, then there's a switch to zhongguo yixing (4 character) seals in the late 60s, but 6 character seals come back in the late '70s onwards. Your pot looks like an end '70s to early '80s shuiping.
great to see you here again! been a long while :P

indeed there was a switch in and out of the 6 character seals, those of the 60s were prim and proper script, those from end 70s onwards are "乱字章" or messy/cursive script, it is a stark contrast~

Jan 26th, '17, 08:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 26th, '17, 08:13

Very interesting, I didn't realize the script changed with later pots. Thanks steanze and kyarazen, I always learn something when you guys post about Yixing!

Jan 26th, '17, 12:45

by steanze » Jan 26th, '17, 12:45

kyarazen wrote: great to see you here again! been a long while :P

indeed there was a switch in and out of the 6 character seals, those of the 60s were prim and proper script, those from end 70s onwards are "乱字章" or messy/cursive script, it is a stark contrast~
Work has been crazy in the past few months :) I did not stop drinking tea, but just talked about it less. But I allowed myself a little bit of time back here :D

Jan 26th, '17, 12:47

by steanze » Jan 26th, '17, 12:47

jayinhk wrote:Very interesting, I didn't realize the script changed with later pots. Thanks steanze and kyarazen, I always learn something when you guys post about Yixing!
a lot of what I know about F1 pots I learned from kyarazen, so I am mostly a noisy channel conveying something I think I learned :)

Jan 26th, '17, 21:08
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 26th, '17, 21:08

steanze wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Very interesting, I didn't realize the script changed with later pots. Thanks steanze and kyarazen, I always learn something when you guys post about Yixing!
a lot of what I know about F1 pots I learned from kyarazen, so I am mostly a noisy channel conveying something I think I learned :)
That's the best way to learn and keep that info alive in your head so it's a good thing IMO! Good for the rest of us too when kyarazen's not around. :D

Jan 26th, '17, 21:53

by Bok » Jan 26th, '17, 21:53

Thanks everyone for the input! So late 70-80 because the seal is more sloppily executed? Or are there other details that indicate the later period?

Jan 26th, '17, 22:01

by kyarazen » Jan 26th, '17, 22:01

Bok wrote:Thanks everyone for the input! So late 70-80 because the seal is more sloppily executed? Or are there other details that indicate the later period?
material
inside the lid (if you show it)
the rim
the thickness of the lip of the lid
the spout joint...
the base joint...
the "workmanship" under the rim
the exit hole
the airhole on the lid...
the handle jointing and detailing (unfortunately wrapped)..

etc :D

Jan 26th, '17, 23:54

by Bok » Jan 26th, '17, 23:54

kyarazen wrote:
Bok wrote:Thanks everyone for the input! So late 70-80 because the seal is more sloppily executed? Or are there other details that indicate the later period?
material
inside the lid (if you show it)
the rim
the thickness of the lip of the lid
the spout joint...
the base joint...
the "workmanship" under the rim
the exit hole
the airhole on the lid...
the handle jointing and detailing (unfortunately wrapped)..

etc :D
Cheers for that!
Unfortunately that's all the images I have. The pot is not with me in Asia. Left it back home...

+ Post Reply