Feb 5th, '17, 12:41

Awesome new Chaozhou pot

by theredbaron » Feb 5th, '17, 12:41

I just bought this new Chaozhou pot - http://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/teaw ... -hu-teapot . I have been looking for quite some time for a small well made Chaozhou pot. I have a good bigger one of about 100 cc, but for more expensive Dancong's it's a bit much. This one however is perfect, it's very well made, not too expensive, and brings out the best in Dancong's, much better than in my Yixings or my cheaper Chaozhou pots. The walls are not too thin, the finish is silky glossy, and it works very well. I can only recommend it, before it's out of stock.
Attachments
DSCF0057.jpg
DSCF0057.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Feb 5th, '17, 21:15

Re: Awesome new Chaozhou pot

by victoria3 » Feb 5th, '17, 21:15

That looks like a really nice pot!

Feb 5th, '17, 23:05

by Hmm » Feb 5th, '17, 23:05

Are there actual differences in performance when you use a chaozhou pot versus a yixing pot?

Feb 6th, '17, 04:01

by theredbaron » Feb 6th, '17, 04:01

Hmm wrote:Are there actual differences in performance when you use a chaozhou pot versus a yixing pot?

I would give a clear yes as an answer.
Of course, after the tea leaves itself the most important factor by far is water quality, and the differences in pots are more subtle, but noticeable. As different clays in Yixing pots itself are better suited to different teas, such as that i prefer zini over hong ni for aged Pu Erh's (in most cases). I have an older zini pot, for example, that was a bit of a disappointment with Yancha, but just shines with aged Pu Erh.
There are esoteric explanations why Chaozhou clays may be more suited to Dancong, such as the same mineral make up of the clay to the Dancong teas as the clay comes from the same area the tea is grown. Practically, i find that Chaozhou clays round out the slightly finicky Dancong teas a bit more, and where there is a slightly rough patch when brewed in Yixing, that is gone in a good Chazhou pot. But, i have some not so nice Chazhou pots (the cheap mass produced thin and ultrashiny pots), this one i find really good. Brewing Dancong in this pot i got it right, from the start, each time, without any real effort.

Feb 6th, '17, 04:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 6th, '17, 04:39

I agree with theredbaron on zini vs hongni for aged pu, especially traditional storage pu. I wouldn't even attempt to drink my HK traditional storage pu erh in hongni! If it was dry stored then I would, as long as it didn't have any notes I might want to suppress. My favorite zini shuiping for aged pu makes traditional storage pu a wonderful experience. Smooth, thick liquor with only good flavor. Drinking yancha in it would make for a very flat-tasting brew!

As for Chaozhou clay vs Yixing...you have to try it for yourself. IMO completely different performance!

+ Post Reply