Dec 20th 17 11:05 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 24th 10 2:37 pm

Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by absence » Dec 20th 17 11:05 pm

I've noticed that many tea samples come in 7 g pouches, and thought I'd get some cheap gaiwans of a suitable size to make it easier to brew samples simultaneously for comparing (I normally use a teapot). I'm considering this 100 ml gaiwan, but I'm not sure if it's big enough? Does anyone own it? How is gaiwan size measured? Is it volume all the way up to the rim, or only up to where the lid rests? Are there other more suitable gaiwans I should look into? Preferably white porcelain, and cheap without being bad quality, as I need several.

Dec 20th 17 11:20 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 24th 10 2:37 pm

Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by absence » Dec 20th 17 11:20 pm

Turns out it helps to read the product comments. :mrgreen: Apparently the 100 ml is measured to the rim, and it's only 75 ml to the lid. I guess that's too small for 7 g tea? Any other suggestions?

Dec 23rd 17 11:49 pm
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 23rd 17 11:47 pm

Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by AnnsTea » Dec 23rd 17 11:49 pm

7g tea is for 350 cc tea cup.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 HTC_M10h 發送


Dec 27th 17 4:20 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 24th 10 2:37 pm

Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by absence » Dec 27th 17 4:20 pm

AnnsTea wrote:7g tea is for 350 cc tea cup.
I prefer to use less water for gongfu brewing.

Dec 27th 17 11:35 pm
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 23rd 17 11:47 pm

Re: RE: Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by AnnsTea » Dec 27th 17 11:35 pm

absence wrote:
AnnsTea wrote:7g tea is for 350 cc tea cup.
I prefer to use less water for gongfu brewing.
1.5g loose leaf should be enough for your gaiwan. Just wait for 4 minutes and enjoy your tea.

If you want gongfu brewing, 4~5g loose leaf is enough.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 HTC_M10h 發送


Dec 28th 17 10:06 am
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 24th 10 2:37 pm

Re: RE: Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by absence » Dec 28th 17 10:06 am

AnnsTea wrote:1.5g loose leaf should be enough for your gaiwan.
My gaiwan? I don't have one! :lol:

I think this thread has derailed slightly, so I'll try to get it back on topic: Where can I find a gaiwan of suitable size for 7 g samples? Preferably white porcelain, and cheap without being bad quality, as I need several.

Dec 30th 17 7:29 pm
Posts: 167
Joined: Dec 2nd 10 3:53 am
Location: CA

Re: RE: Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by Zared » Dec 30th 17 7:29 pm

absence wrote:
AnnsTea wrote:1.5g loose leaf should be enough for your gaiwan.
My gaiwan? I don't have one! :lol:

I think this thread has derailed slightly, so I'll try to get it back on topic: Where can I find a gaiwan of suitable size for 7 g samples? Preferably white porcelain, and cheap without being bad quality, as I need several.

The one from YS is functional so just get a few of those. Your not gonna find much difference in terms of quality for -$10 gaiwan.

Also if your planning to do side by side tastings than honestly you don't need to use a whole 7g sample. You could Get 2 sessions outta each sample with a smaller gaiwan. 1 for comparison and another solo session.

Dec 31st 17 3:37 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: May 27th 12 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by ethan » Dec 31st 17 3:37 am

PM sent.

Dec 31st 17 12:27 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Apr 24th 10 2:37 pm

Re: RE: Re: Gaiwan size for sample comparison

by absence » Dec 31st 17 12:27 pm

Zared wrote:Also if your planning to do side by side tastings than honestly you don't need to use a whole 7g sample.
That's true. The idea was that it would be easy to just dump the sample in the cup without fiddling wth scales or leftovers, but some accuracy could be warranted in comparisons.