Feb 10th, '06, 15:53

French Press for making tea

by Klondike » Feb 10th, '06, 15:53

Hey there. Looking for what options might be available for making tea in something other than a tea pot and thought of my French Press that I use for coffee. It seems to work very well and I'm wondering how many use such a thing for tea. Is it a popular method or is it way out there on the fringe?

Feb 10th, '06, 16:41

by klemptor » Feb 10th, '06, 16:41

In general, I've heard that presses are less than ideal for tea because they compress the leaves, causing the brew to be bitter. You may want to experiment on your own, though - I don't speak from experience as I don't own a press.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Feb 10th, '06, 16:52

by LavenderPekoe » Feb 10th, '06, 16:52

I use a press at home, but I am very careful not to squinch the leaves. It is actually alright for me since I make my tea pretty weak.
Teas for trade:

Feb 10th, '06, 18:14

French Press For Making Tea

by Klondike » Feb 10th, '06, 18:14

Hey there again. Thanks for the replies and the input. I'll keep it in mind to not press all the way down on the tea leaves when I use the press. Good point. I've only tried it a time or two and with a tea that I have a little experience with and it tasted normal in every respect to me. I'm sure I'll try it a few more times and also keep using my teapot. Eventually I'll come a conclusion as to what method I like best. Thanks again.

P.S. I love your term "squinch"

+ Post Reply