Aug 23rd, '10, 19:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Confessions of a Teaware Shopaholic

by Victoria » Aug 23rd, '10, 19:38

So, I am minding my own business, checking my emails. There is one from TeaGschwendner, which I usually have just been deleting, but they were offering me a discount and they do have some nice teaware.

So I go to their site.

And this is what I see:

Instantly I recognize the distinctive Mono Filio glasses. Wow, are they selling those now? After 10 mins of fumbling around on their poorly designed site (with regard to teaware, anyway) I find that no, they are not selling those. Although it seems they have reshot their whole catalog using these cups. From white tea to rooiboos - everything is in these cups:

ImageImage

Which of course people will want, yet they aren't selling. Talk about missing sales opportunity! Gr. (It's all gone downhill since Charles left - heh - inside joke)

Wow, I want those cups! How can it be I can't find them? Frustrating! Wow, they look nice. Now I NEED them!

So I go to ebay. Ebay doesn't have the cups but they do have a teapot in the smaller size and at the best price I have seen, so I impulsively buy it.

I wasn't even looking for a pot! Plus I have this similar styled Bodum competitor:

Not to mention I am trying EXTREMELY hard to cut back my teaware purchases!

Yet now I am the proud owner of a Mono Filio Small Teapot by Tassilo von Grolman:

So I am telling myself it is an investment piece anyway. But oh yeah, where was I? ... oh yeah looking for glass cups. And now I really do need them. After all, I have to match my pot. :shock:

It's TeaGschwendner's fault.

Aug 23rd, '10, 20:36

Re: Confessions of a Teaware Shopaholic

by auhckw » Aug 23rd, '10, 20:36

That is indeed a nice cup :D

I am also getting worried about my recent craze and lust over teawares / tea... :(

So many to buy, so little space to store (the look of my wife's face every time I bring back teaware / tea is not that good looking :evil: ) :mrgreen:

Aug 23rd, '10, 20:43

by Victoria » Aug 23rd, '10, 20:43

Ha! I know that look!

Aug 23rd, '10, 23:24

by britt » Aug 23rd, '10, 23:24

Back in May I packed up and stored much of my teaware because I had literally run out of space. I couldn't even eat at my table because there was no space left due to it being used for teaware. After packing it up, I found it was much more enjoyable eating while sitting down at a table that was no longer covered with Yixings and kyusu. Now three months later I'm back to eating at the kitchen counter. I've once again filled up all the empty spots with un-necessary teaware. Is there a cure for all of this? I don't think so!

Aug 24th, '10, 01:44

by bagua7 » Aug 24th, '10, 01:44

Sorry if this sounds like rain on your parade, but metal + heat + tea is not a good combination as fire (heat) overcomes metal (part of the controlling cycle in Five Elements Theory).

Aug 24th, '10, 01:53

by debunix » Aug 24th, '10, 01:53

That is a gorgeous little teapot. I love how the strainer actually uses the full size of the pot. I can see how it overcame your resistance.

Aug 24th, '10, 03:35

by Geekgirl » Aug 24th, '10, 03:35

mayayo wrote:Sorry if this sounds like rain on your parade, but metal + heat + tea is not a good combination as fire (heat) overcomes metal (part of the controlling cycle in Five Elements Theory).
Hmmm, is that why the asians use so many different metals for their kettles? :roll:

Aug 24th, '10, 05:00
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 24th, '10, 05:00

It is useless to resist the TOCD's! Don't even try.

Personally, I have the space problem as well. What I do is store my pieces in beautiful boxes and only keep the piece I am using out. I used to try to keep everything on display, but found, once I got into the habit, that I enjoy keeping things put away much more. Of course, I make sure that the piece is totally dry before putting it away.

Aug 24th, '10, 12:13

by Tead Off » Aug 24th, '10, 12:13

Geekgirl wrote:
mayayo wrote:Sorry if this sounds like rain on your parade, but metal + heat + tea is not a good combination as fire (heat) overcomes metal (part of the controlling cycle in Five Elements Theory).
Hmmm, is that why the asians use so many different metals for their kettles? :roll:
Which Asians? :wink:

Aug 24th, '10, 12:51

by Geekgirl » Aug 24th, '10, 12:51

Ha! got me. I said "asians" because depending on where in Asia or S.E. Asia one is, you might see pewter, silver, copper, cast iron, and who knows what else being used for hot water. I was lazy. What else is new? :lol:

Aug 24th, '10, 13:06

by nonc_ron » Aug 24th, '10, 13:06

IPT wrote:It is useless to resist the TOCD's! Don't even try.

Personally, I have the space problem as well. What I do is store my pieces in beautiful boxes and only keep the piece I am using out. I used to try to keep everything on display, but found, once I got into the habit, that I enjoy keeping things put away much more. Of course, I make sure that the piece is totally dry before putting it away.
I say Ditto, I agree with everything you said. :D
It's exactly what I do.

Aug 24th, '10, 21:12
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 24th, '10, 21:12

Another thing I like about keeping them stored is that I can unveil them to guests. That's kinda fun too.

Aug 25th, '10, 02:36

by Alex » Aug 25th, '10, 02:36

I've scaled back my teaware massively. Really trying to just focus on tea now. I have a rule that I only have what I can fit on my tea table........trouble is I just bought a larger tea table so I can fit more pieces on it :? But the space does limit me and that's what I need. Others wise I never stop and happiness for getting more seems temporary. Having wares in the post gives me a warm feeling inside.

+ Post Reply