Oct 6th, '10, 08:57

Re: Glass v Banko v Shigaraki

by Alex » Oct 6th, '10, 08:57

Not sure I'd like the feel of teaware being placed on stone.....love to see some pieces though.

Oct 6th, '10, 09:08

by Tead Off » Oct 6th, '10, 09:08

Herb_Master wrote:Stone seems to be the in thing in Kuala Lumpur right now for tea trays.

At Evergreen in Jalan Sultan they have a fantastic selection of cut stone resting in bamboo or hardwood cradles. I was determined to get one despite the price.

But I failed, because when I was at Purple Cane HQ at Shaw Parade I fell in love with a smaller travelling tea tray (also with some stone) - I must get around to photographing it!

What were the prices of these stone trays?

Oct 6th, '10, 09:11

by Tead Off » Oct 6th, '10, 09:11

auhckw wrote:
Herb_Master wrote:Stone seems to be the in thing in Kuala Lumpur right now for tea trays.

At Evergreen in Jalan Sultan they have a fantastic selection of cut stone resting in bamboo or hardwood cradles. I was determined to get one despite the price.

But I failed, because when I was at Purple Cane HQ at Shaw Parade I fell in love with a smaller travelling tea tray (also with some stone) - I must get around to photographing it!
I'm getting quite irritated by my bamboo tray. The smell of bamboo is so strong when it is in contact with hot water/tea.

Sounds like a stone resting in bamboo or hardwood cradle should have no problem with that. Roughly how much is the price range?
I have 2 bamboo trays but have never smelled anything coming off of them. I have 1 bamboo tea strainer, though, which has a distinct bamboo smell that emanates from it every time I pour the tea through. Very annoying. It might be the type of bamboo that was used or not cured properly. I believe bamboo needs long periods of drying out.

Oct 6th, '10, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 6th, '10, 14:58

I really can't remember the price range. I would be guessing if I said between 300 and 800 RM. My notebook reveals only the prices of Ceramic Kettles. I intended to buy a Lin's Kettle and then go back to Evergreen for a tray.

The trays at Evergreen came in a variety of sizes with different shaped cradles. I wanted to get one where the cradle was shaped like a ship in so much as it was bow'ed upwards at each end with a solid slab resting on it. I never even got to discuss it with Tan, because I did not go back - when at Purple Cane I chickened out of the Lin's kettle due to my inability to get alcohol that does not smell in the UK.

When at Purple Cane Shaw Parade they told me in no uncertain manner NOT to use a Lin's kettle on a gas range not even on low flame. So I started looking at the Lin's trays and commented on the fact that some had no drainage holes - she said that the stone itself will absorb a very considerable amount of liquid. I think the trays I looked at were up in the 700 Ringit area. The one I bought was a smaller travel version for 300 Ringit, the stone is so small that it will only absorb a limited amount of liquid so has a drainage hole and pipe supplied.

EDIT

When I went to photograph the tray :oops: The price is still on - 388 Ringit

and of course the insert is not stone but a special Lin's Ceramic.

Oct 27th, '10, 19:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '10, 19:01

My Shigaraki is here

Playing with my Seigan spirit and Cha Dao Gaiwan

Oct 27th, '10, 19:33

by auhckw » Oct 27th, '10, 19:33

There is something about Shigaraki that makes it looks so attractive. Don't know why... :mrgreen:

Oct 27th, '10, 20:35

by debunix » Oct 27th, '10, 20:35

auhckw wrote:There is something about Shigaraki that makes it looks so attractive. Don't know why... :mrgreen:
Something about the extreme coarseness of the clay with nothing else the slightest bit coarse in the beautifully controlled and rendered roundness of the shape and finish, perhaps?

+ Post Reply