Nov 16th, '13, 17:29

Re: Glass blower looking for feedback

by debunix » Nov 16th, '13, 17:29

Another cold, another pot of herbal tea--this is probably my number one use of my big Hario glass pot, and the tea would be so much prettier without the mesh strainer insert. A pretty glass pot of similar volume--about a pint--would be very very welcome addition to my collection. I'm less concerned about losing heat than many here; I mostly use my glass pots for teas that do well with lower temp brewing (greens, lighter oolongs) and for those that start out boiling but don't need to stay that hot for many minutes (herbal mixes).

I'd be more concerned with aesthetics (if paying artisan prices), ease of cleaning, and functional pouring with little risk of scorching my fingers.

Nov 18th, '13, 02:27

by LUB_GLASS » Nov 18th, '13, 02:27

jayinhk wrote:I checked out your work Lub_Glass--you have real skills!
Did you just search for me on the interwebs? My understanding is that I can't directly advertise. Thanks!

Nov 18th, '13, 02:31

by LUB_GLASS » Nov 18th, '13, 02:31

gasninja wrote:Im glass blowing tea drinker as well. Ive been lamp working for thirteen years so If you have any questions pm me.
Any pics of your work?
What kind of lathe do you have?
Awesome! Do you make tea ware? I'm a bench worker. I have never worked on a lathe. I know that they are necessary for clear production level pots that are one amazon for $25, but for mine, a lathe is not needed. It would help a lot, however. I can be found on facebook or instagram by searching my forum name. Thanks

Nov 18th, '13, 02:35

by LUB_GLASS » Nov 18th, '13, 02:35

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:My wife recently bought a fair cup/tea cooler/chahai made of glass that rests in a bamboo sleeve. It's a very pleasant combination of materials aesthetically. As well, she had been looking for two, small, gong fu tea sized, double-walled, glass tea cups and found a set of two from Bodum.
She was interested in creating a glass set for work so as to pour tea during break times at the office.

In our home we have two glass chahais that we use when pouring gong fu tea. They are both double-walled and have a very nice spout that pours a very clean stream. The double-walled construction is nice to handle and preserves the heat, and it allows the color of the tea liquor to be seen clearly. We use these as an all around, go to tea cooler for various tea settings when we don't have another made of clay that matches a given tea setting aesthetic. To me they are versatile, functional, and have a simple elegance.

I find myself curious how creative shapes of glasswork when applied to tea could enhance the tea experience. I'm also curious about creative combinations such as the cooler that my wife purchased that has an attractive bamboo sleeve that the single-walled glass cooler slides inside of.

I can also see using a larger glass kettle for heating water if it was double-walled to preserve the heat and made of the appropriate glass for direct flame.

Blessings!
I don't think you could boil in a double walled kettle. The airspace between the two walls would make heating almost impossible, I believe. I can't "really" do double walled stuff, as it is almost always done on a lathe, which spins and holds the glass for you. For me to line up, weld together, size out, etc, it would be futile at best. I'm really excited to get some work posted up for you guys to see.

Nov 18th, '13, 09:27

by MarshalN » Nov 18th, '13, 09:27

Correct me if I'm wrong Chip, but I believe you can at least put your work's URL in your profile. Those of us who want to go there can, but it's not really advertising...

As for teaware. I think there's a real market out there for smaller teapots - 60ml-80ml range. If you can manage something along those sizes that's both functional and visually pleasing, I suspect you'll find takers in these parts.

Nov 18th, '13, 10:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 18th, '13, 10:23

MarshalN wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong Chip, but I believe you can at least put your work's URL in your profile. Those of us who want to go there can, but it's not really advertising...

As for teaware. I think there's a real market out there for smaller teapots - 60ml-80ml range. If you can manage something along those sizes that's both functional and visually pleasing, I suspect you'll find takers in these parts.
Yes, he may certainly post his url along with contact information in his profile! These would show up in each of his posts as clickable icons.

Also, if it is simply an item created by lub_glass for personal use and enjoyment, then he may post a link or even post the images directly in topics on the forum.

However, if it is an item he created and is for sale or planned for sale, then the answer is no. This is why the TeawareArtisans forum was created.

lub_glass has been invited to post a topic under TeawareArtisans where he could show his wares, ask for feedback, discuss projects, etc. Hopefully he will when the time is right for him.

If one artisan is permitted to post for sale items elsewhere on TeaChat, then of course everyone could. Then I would have to make judgment calls on a regular basis.

I know this is more than you asked or suggested, MarshalN, just wanted to clarify. :mrgreen:

Nov 18th, '13, 19:45

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 18th, '13, 19:45

LUB_GLASS wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:My wife recently bought a fair cup/tea cooler/chahai made of glass that rests in a bamboo sleeve. It's a very pleasant combination of materials aesthetically. As well, she had been looking for two, small, gong fu tea sized, double-walled, glass tea cups and found a set of two from Bodum.
She was interested in creating a glass set for work so as to pour tea during break times at the office.

In our home we have two glass chahais that we use when pouring gong fu tea. They are both double-walled and have a very nice spout that pours a very clean stream. The double-walled construction is nice to handle and preserves the heat, and it allows the color of the tea liquor to be seen clearly. We use these as an all around, go to tea cooler for various tea settings when we don't have another made of clay that matches a given tea setting aesthetic. To me they are versatile, functional, and have a simple elegance.

I find myself curious how creative shapes of glasswork when applied to tea could enhance the tea experience. I'm also curious about creative combinations such as the cooler that my wife purchased that has an attractive bamboo sleeve that the single-walled glass cooler slides inside of.

I can also see using a larger glass kettle for heating water if it was double-walled to preserve the heat and made of the appropriate glass for direct flame.

Blessings!
I don't think you could boil in a double walled kettle. The airspace between the two walls would make heating almost impossible, I believe. I can't "really" do double walled stuff, as it is almost always done on a lathe, which spins and holds the glass for you. For me to line up, weld together, size out, etc, it would be futile at best. I'm really excited to get some work posted up for you guys to see.

Thanks for the response. I know very little about the glass construction/creation process besides the time I've spent visiting studios of two glass blowers that my wife and would stop in to visit from time to time. It would actually be interesting to me, if you decide to go ahead, for you to share and clarify the process around creating with glass and dispel any ignorance myself and others might have around the creative process with glasswork.

I did not know that, for instance, double walled work was done on a lathe. Couldn't a glass kettle conceivably be made with double-walls but not have the bottom of the kettle be double-walled? In this way it could both heat water and retain heat better. I am interested to see where this foray into tea and glass takes you.

Blessings!

Nov 19th, '13, 03:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 19th, '13, 03:54

LUB_GLASS wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I checked out your work Lub_Glass--you have real skills!
Did you just search for me on the interwebs? My understanding is that I can't directly advertise. Thanks!
Yeah, you're all over the place. I collect glass art (so to speak) and have for years, and yours is definitely high end stuff. Classic Yixing shapes in smaller sizes as MarshalN suggested would be the way to go IMO.

Nov 19th, '13, 09:12

by gasninja » Nov 19th, '13, 09:12

You can make double walled cha hai and cups by hand. Blow a long bubble. Shape your foot first. Then attach blow tube to yor foot with a small hole. then do a push just like you would for a bowl I have some bigger graphite pieces that I have used for a cha hai But you can probably use a bowl push for cups if you can ream it out a little. a damp cork will work as well if your carefull. make sure you pop a small hole in so you don't leave the hollow sealed when you remove the blow tube or it will implode if you have to clean up a punty mark. I had actually had that happen to me with a Christmas ornament yesterday. Then you have a double walled cup /chahai no lathe required.

I will be in Tucson for the gem show in January. If you are in that area we should get together and make a couple teapots.

+ Post Reply