Aug 12th, '16, 10:39
Scrolling: scrolling

Somebody re-marketed the gaiwan

by Drax » Aug 12th, '16, 10:39

Aug 13th, '16, 00:58

Re: Somebody re-marketed the gaiwan

by kyarazen » Aug 13th, '16, 00:58

What the freak! :D that is just one of those bodum double wall glasses with a lid from a small gaiwan -_-!!

Aug 13th, '16, 11:21

by Drax » Aug 13th, '16, 11:21

kyarazen wrote:
What the freak! :D that is just one of those bodum double wall glasses with a lid from a small gaiwan -_-!!
Indeed! Yet look at the response ($$, I mean).

Oh well...

Aug 13th, '16, 12:42

by JRS22 » Aug 13th, '16, 12:42

This doesn't even seem to be a well-designed Gaiwan alternative. The glass has straight sides with no curving lip so in the demo the man has the Gaiwan v2 turned almost completely upside down at the very beginning of the pour while it's still filled with water and tea leaves.

I have 2 well-made glass gaiwans that allow me to watch the leaves steep and are easy to use - they were $15 each in a local tea shop and would probably have been less expensive in Chinatown.

Aug 15th, '16, 12:02

by miig » Aug 15th, '16, 12:02

Oh wow, 50k! This is incredible. Is there a Chinese version of John Oliver? If so, he'll make a video about this.

Aug 15th, '16, 12:06

by Fuut » Aug 15th, '16, 12:06

Seems a little overpriced. Literally, for the money you give to this kick-starter you could get yourself some really nice ware. Also what was wrong with the normal Chinese way of brewing?

Aug 15th, '16, 13:32

by ricegeek » Aug 15th, '16, 13:32

Fuut wrote:Seems a little overpriced. Literally, for the money you give to this kick-starter you could get yourself some really nice ware. Also what was wrong with the normal Chinese way of brewing?
My guess would be the choice of double walled glass for brewing is to avoid getting scalded by hot water with the gaiwan, which could be a problem if someone doesn't handle their gaiwan properly. I burn myself some times when I over fill the gaiwan, and/or tried to pour too fast. This is definitely ridiculous in terms of price, but hey, marketing sells! I am sure Apple could probably sell millions of this gaiwan in their store. :lol:

Aug 15th, '16, 17:28

by Fuut » Aug 15th, '16, 17:28

ricegeek wrote:
Fuut wrote:Seems a little overpriced. Literally, for the money you give to this kick-starter you could get yourself some really nice ware. Also what was wrong with the normal Chinese way of brewing?
My guess would be the choice of double walled glass for brewing is to avoid getting scalded by hot water with the gaiwan, which could be a problem if someone doesn't handle their gaiwan properly. I burn myself some times when I over fill the gaiwan, and/or tried to pour too fast. This is definitely ridiculous in terms of price, but hey, marketing sells! I am sure Apple could probably sell millions of this gaiwan in their store. :lol:
Not to get in a debate but really 21 years windows, i spend countless hours on pointless conundrums, mac is just more pleasant to me personally, well worth the 500 bucks.

Getting back to topic, really buy a double glass (heat resistant if you are not a risk taker), get a lid or make one, and voila. I'm not seeing the value of this kick starter.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know if they finally accept paypal/kick starter?

Aug 15th, '16, 18:39

by Drax » Aug 15th, '16, 18:39

It's a perfect Kickstarter for those that don't know any better (of which there are plenty), which was my main motivation for posting it.

As for paypal, I don't believe so. I still see Kickstarters that "open up paypal donations" after they've met their goal.

Aug 15th, '16, 22:28

by Bok » Aug 15th, '16, 22:28

Anyways, as it is made with Chinese manufacturers it will be available on taobao soon – for the fraction of a price.

The cup shape is not ad, the glass part is awful and put together it is a mess.
Guess we could call it the hipster-gaiwan :mrgreen:

Aug 16th, '16, 09:01

by Fuut » Aug 16th, '16, 09:01

Drax wrote:It's a perfect Kickstarter for those that don't know any better (of which there are plenty), which was my main motivation for posting it.

As for paypal, I don't believe so. I still see Kickstarters that "open up paypal donations" after they've met their goal.
That's so ridiculous, the paypal thing, years ago when kick starter was new, sure back then i would've understood only a few payment options, but outside the US not everyone has a CC.

+ Post Reply