Aug 17th 05 6:40 pm

Jenaer Glas going away? Say it ain't so!

by Daniel S » Aug 17th 05 6:40 pm

This was sent by email from adagio:
If you've had your eye on our beautiful glass teaware products, now is the time to act. Regarded as the world's finest glass teaware for over a century, Jenaer Glas will no longer be made. We invite you to consider these products before they're truly gone.
Is Jenaer as a company going away, or are they pulling out of just teapots? Or is adagio just stopping carrying them?

Aug 17th 05 6:56 pm

by chris » Aug 17th 05 6:56 pm

Thanks for the post.

Jenaer Glas as a company is, as the Germans say, "kaput."

It turns out they lost the keys to the warehouse!

Shatteringly,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 17th 05 9:51 pm
Adagio

Jenaer

by ilya » Aug 17th 05 9:51 pm

Actually, Schott (Jenaer's parent company) will continue to operate. However, they have decided to discontinue their glassware business and thus have stopped making Jenaer products. :(

Sep 7th 05 7:10 pm

by Daniel S » Sep 7th 05 7:10 pm

That makes me a saaaad panda. :(

Nov 30th 05 3:07 am

by JamesBeach » Nov 30th 05 3:07 am

I've raked the internet and have found no comparable alternatives to Jenaer teapots, almost as if they had an original idea by making glass teapots with a smart and simple design. Any suggestions for when Jenaer is no longer an option?

Nov 30th 05 3:32 am
Adagio

by ilya » Nov 30th 05 3:32 am

Adagio Teas is in the process of developing a few glass teapots that will be very similar to Jenaer's old line. Hopefully we will have them available before we deplete our Jenaer supply.

Nov 30th 05 3:40 am

by Guest » Nov 30th 05 3:40 am

Is this going to be an in-house production? Because from the way you worded it, that sounds to be the case. Awesome, nevertheless!

Nov 30th 05 7:01 am
Adagio

by ilya » Nov 30th 05 7:01 am

Not sure what you mean by in-house. Chris and I will not be sitting with straws in our mouths in front of a furnace and a bucket of sand :lol:

We are working with a company that specializes in glassware and are designing a number of teapots we plan on introducing soon.

Although, now that I think of it, the in-house solution sounds kind of fun.

Nov 30th 05 7:11 am

by JamesBeach » Nov 30th 05 7:11 am

ilya wrote:Not sure what you mean by in-house. Chris and I will not be sitting with straws in our mouths in front of a furnace and a bucket of sand :lol:

We are working with a company that specializes in glassware and are designing a number of teapots we plan on introducing soon.

Although, now that I think of it, the in-house solution sounds kind of fun.
Minor misunderstanding. I took "developing" to mean including the manufacturing, which I didn't wholly believe, but it was worth clarifying. Anyway, I'm glad you guys are dedicated enough to work with glass companies to produce replacements for Jenaer Glas' fine products. I think that says something about the company.

Manufacturing your own glass would be an interesting angle, but somehow I doubt its within Adagio's forte. To do that would make the company into the Apple Corp. of the tea drinking world, though. ;)

Nov 30th 05 7:45 pm

by chris » Nov 30th 05 7:45 pm

Sitting with straws in our mouths, huh? Reminds me of an old thread.....

Nov 30th 05 9:09 pm

by Tadiera » Nov 30th 05 9:09 pm

chris wrote:Sitting with straws in our mouths, huh? Reminds me of an old thread.....
I can just see you now, Chris...
Sitting before the glory hole (yes, this is the technical term - I'm dating someone who is learning glassblowing) with a straw, adjusting your tie in the heat.

My, that could be a fun story.

Nov 30th 05 10:02 pm

by klemptor » Nov 30th 05 10:02 pm

I think you just wanted to say...*ahem* tie.
Tadiera wrote:
chris wrote:Sitting with straws in our mouths, huh? Reminds me of an old thread.....
I can just see you now, Chris...
Sitting before the glory hole (yes, this is the technical term - I'm dating someone who is learning glassblowing) with a straw, adjusting your tie in the heat.

My, that could be a fun story.

Nov 30th 05 10:03 pm

by Tadiera » Nov 30th 05 10:03 pm

klemptor wrote:I think you just wanted to say...*ahem* tie.
I just like to tease Chris about his ties.

Dec 4th 05 4:30 am

jenaer glass

by Elaine Grosso » Dec 4th 05 4:30 am

I'm a total newbie to this forum/site (or any other, for that matter) so am just bumbling around, trying to figure out how to work it . Bought a Jenaer minuet a few months back at a local (northern California) shop. Love it, and recently bought 2 more from Adagio, one for my 13-year-old grandson who was totally blown away by the magic of a display tea in that cup. I wanted to add my kudos to the product, but now hear this about the company going out of business. And about Adagio hopefully picking up the slack. But I still don't know how to add my input to particular products.
Elaine G.

Jan 19th 06 9:18 pm

by Kreft » Jan 19th 06 9:18 pm

Any progress on the adagio tea pots?