Jan 1st 09 1:17 am
Scrolling: scrolling

My first bodum casualty. . .

by Drax » Jan 1st 09 1:17 am

I ordered a bunch of the 9oz Bodum double-walled glasses about a month ago, and they've been great for keeping my hands from not burning while drinking tea.

I've avoided knocking them around, but this afternoon when I got back from work, I noticed the glass I was drinking from in the morning had some liquid collecting in-between the two walls. It looks like an extremely tiny crack developed at the separation point (I assume that's what it is; they're on the bottom of all the glasses).

Ah well. I thought for sure the first way I'd break one would be to smash it to pieces. I didn't even knock any of them around much. I'm not sure at this point whether I should pitch it or keep using it.

For those who have these glasses (any bodum double-walled type) -- how's your survival rate with them so far? :D

Jan 1st 09 2:07 am

Re: My first bodum casualty. . .

by Herb_Master » Jan 1st 09 2:07 am

Drax wrote:I ordered a bunch of the 9oz Bodum double-walled glasses about a month ago, and they've been great for keeping my hands from not burning while drinking tea.

I've avoided knocking them around, but this afternoon when I got back from work, I noticed the glass I was drinking from in the morning had some liquid collecting in-between the two walls. It looks like an extremely tiny crack developed at the separation point (I assume that's what it is; they're on the bottom of all the glasses).

Ah well. I thought for sure the first way I'd break one would be to smash it to pieces. I didn't even knock any of them around much. I'm not sure at this point whether I should pitch it or keep using it.

For those who have these glasses (any bodum double-walled type) -- how's your survival rate with them so far? :D
I lost one after a fortnight in the washing up bowl. Knocking it against a more solid mug. The darn things float so when I went to totally submerge it I could not see that under the washing up suds/bubbles it was about to nudge something else.

Now I wash them alone, and the survive.

Jan 1st 09 4:12 am

by Vulture » Jan 1st 09 4:12 am

I have had mine for a couple months now no problems. We will see as it goes.

Jan 1st 09 4:27 am

by Victoria » Jan 1st 09 4:27 am

I use them a lot, somes daily in a row, I go in streaks.
I have never broken one. I pop them right in the dishwasher.

But I do have one of my larger ones with a crack. It is on the top, near the top seam line. I can see it, but not feel it. And no liquid had gotten in. And I, like yourself, am wondering what to do. I should let it go, but as long as I don't see any changes, I have decided to keep using it.

Jan 1st 09 7:22 pm

by edkrueger » Jan 1st 09 7:22 pm

I've lost a few too. One in dish washer and two from floor or counter. My floors are concrete and my counter is marble.

Jan 1st 09 7:29 pm

by kymidwife » Jan 1st 09 7:29 pm

Bodum Clutz here... I owned 2 pieces... broke both. The first one broke the same day I brought it home, before I ever even used it. The 2nd lasted for a few months, and developed a big crack from clinking up against another piece in the kitchen cabinet. I know that makes me sound incredibly clumsy, but in truth I rarely have any broken glassware. Bodum has changed that trend for certain. The weight feels so unsubstantial, and both breakages came from minimal contact, not a crashing tumble. The Pavinas in particular are so beautiful, but I am no longer a Bodum fan, and not sure I will bother purchasing them again.

Sarah

Jan 1st 09 7:50 pm
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 1st 09 7:50 pm

Ah! :shock: I will be careful about mine from now on :P I like display of color in these cups, but do wish they were thicker and heavier. I would rather have them with thick glass wall instead of two layers of thin double wall.

Jan 1st 09 7:54 pm

by Victoria » Jan 1st 09 7:54 pm

That would defeat the whole purpose!

Not to mention they would be HOT!!

Jan 1st 09 8:05 pm

by Chip » Jan 1st 09 8:05 pm

It seems any flaw will cause the loss of the airtight vapor barrier and allow liquid between the layers of very thin glass. I suspect that a certan percentage are doomed to this fate due to manufacturing flaws. If you have a good one, it will serve you well, if you have one that is somehow flawed (and there is not much room for error here), the cup will fail.

I had a set that one failed the first use and water began to collect. The other is still fine.

When I contacted customer service, they promptly told me that there is NO warranty on them, but as a courtesy they would replace the set this one time. They did so with an updated and nicer looking set.

Jan 1st 09 8:11 pm
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 1st 09 8:11 pm

Victoria wrote:That would defeat the whole purpose!

Not to mention they would be HOT!!
I got the smallest size (2oz.) so heat is not a big problem for me. I fell in love with them mainly because when they hold some colored liquid, it almost looks like the colored liquid is suspended in air, very cool. :D

Jan 1st 09 8:14 pm

by Victoria » Jan 1st 09 8:14 pm

You could try using shot glasses!
:twisted:

Jan 1st 09 9:13 pm

by Salsero » Jan 1st 09 9:13 pm

gingko wrote: it almost looks like the colored liquid is suspended in air
Yes, that is the coolest thing about them for me too.

Jan 1st 09 9:33 pm

by Drax » Jan 1st 09 9:33 pm

Misery loves company. It's good to get an idea of how everybody else has been doing with these things, so thanks for sharing.

I think I'm going to have to pitch this one cup, though. I poured some hot tea into this afternoon and I heard a slight hissing sound, which I assume was expanding air pushing out through wherever the crack is. I also have a fair amount of condensation collecting on the interior surface. That can't be healthy in the long run, even if my drinking liquids never come in contact with it. . .

Jan 1st 09 10:22 pm

by ABx » Jan 1st 09 10:22 pm

Victoria wrote:You could try using shot glasses!
:twisted:
Hehe the Bodum I have are actually sold as shot glasses :)

I had a couple of 9 oz ones that I used as regular glasses because I like the way they look. One of them cracked when I dropped ice in them the way you do with any glass (not hard; I dropped from below the rim). I still have the other one, but I don't use it much, and when I do I am careful with any ice I put in it :-/

I've still got 3 of the smaller ones - two from a set (where the inside of the glass flares up), and one more rounded (egg shaped) one, that the other perished in a fall that would have probably broken any glass. I also have several very round ~5oz ones (not Bodum, purchased locally, but the same ones shown on the Golden Teahouse website) that have served me well for some time, though I don't often use the double-walled glass cups as much anymore for other reasons. I haven't had any problems with those, but I've also been fairly careful with them.