Jan 18th, '18, 09:51

Re: New to site, wondering about a yixing

by CheekyChipmunk » Jan 18th, '18, 09:51

Enjex wrote:
CheekyChipmunk wrote:
Enjex wrote: ive read that they vary greatly in flavor between green to red, hopefully i can find a few to my liking. ive tried a few before, but they have all had somewhat of a seaweed taste to me, so i just stopped getig samples of them.
From your description you either have not had very good oolongs or you don’t enjoy ‘greener’ vegetal notes in your tea. The craze in the oolong world at the moment is bright and fresh oolongs. Have you tried sampling traditional charcoal roasted oolongs?
no, i have had a few of the more green, as you have said, and sampled a few milk oolongs, i think those are green as well. i placed an order for a few medium roasted oolongs with yunnan sourcing a week ago, so hopefully i will enjoy one of those. i wanted to stay away from the darker ones for now, from what ive read they can be comparable to reds, which im a bit bored of ATM. but if you have any suggestions for an oolong i would love to hear them :D i think that im going to use my team money for now to try to find an oolong i like.
I don’t drink a lot of oolong myself but something tells me you might find dan cong oolongs interesting. They are finicky to brew right (best bet is a thin wall porcelain gaiwan) and have a lot of variety session to session and tea to tea. Again you will find both lightly and heavier roasted versions with everything in between so I’d say itd be a matter of getting samples and trying to hone in on what you like...

Apr 24th, '18, 08:28

by VonWrisberg » Apr 24th, '18, 08:28

I bought a new Yixing, and I`ve experimented with it with many Teas, also with Black tea.
I´ve noticed to my surprise that with some Black teas it brings the best from them.
For example Golden monkey, Ai Lao high mountain black, and Lapsang souchong(unsmoked) were much better from Yixing imo. It does balance some of the top notes, but not too much, I would say it integrates them more. It kind of makes some tea like an balanced aged Wine(Im a Wine lover also). Some Pure bud Yunnan blacks were maybe a bit too delicate for yixing. I`ve noticed that it is important to experiment with Yixings, they just act so differently different teas.

May 8th, '18, 19:05

by imkvn » May 8th, '18, 19:05

You can essentially brew with any pot. I would go with something with medium to thinner walls. And maybe not so tall of a pot. The reason is that you don't want to over brew or heat the tea. When you get better you can actually use any vessel. Again you have to understand the characteristics of the pot.

Some retain more heat, some less. Some will steam or bake the tea fast. Some have thicker or thinner pores. All of it matters, clay, heat, tea, ambient temperatures, and time. It's just some pots are better suited to different types of teas.

I wouldn't spend too much on your first pot. Might break it, then you don't know the quality. Little learning curve. Probably ask some one on the forum for a pot to buy. Then once your committed and understand steeping get something you like.

Or if you got money to burn get something you like and grow in to it.

I like yixing pots because it's almost like a functional art piece. You also support the craftsman, tea community and growers indirectly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

May 20th, '18, 14:48

by DrJacoby » May 20th, '18, 14:48

Enjex wrote: well, i was just going to return it if the general concensus said that it would be unsuitable, as i could return the package as long as it remaine unopened
Did you end up keeping the pot? As somebody who's owned and used 40+ Yixing pots over the past 14 years, my advice is to factor in the seller's recommendation, but to experiment yourself with a number of different teas. If you have a glass/porcelain brewing vessel, compare the same tea in both the yixing and the porcelain. You will probably be surprised how well some teas work and how others don't. Often, I find, there isn't even that big of a difference (much to the contrary of all of the mystical yixing lore out there). Like others have said, a good porous pot will round out whatever tea you brew, and (in my experience), it should probably work with your red teas, roasted oolongs, hei cha/cooked/aged puer, and some vendors have even recommended green tea. Did you end up continuing to explore more tea types?

+ Post Reply