Sep 20th, '18, 12:10

Is a yixing clay teapot good for Gyokuro and KubuSencha?

by aworkofmarc » Sep 20th, '18, 12:10

New into the world of quality green tea and a little boggled with all the options. Looking to try my first purchases of premium Gyokuro and KubuSencha bought directly from online Japan retailers and arriving next week.

Problem is I run into many different answers on teapots. I've read that yixing is the best type clay pot to use and that I should steep the premium Gyokuro and KubuSencha in a low profile, very flat pot with a wide top lid, so the leaves can have room to gently unroll.

Should I buy yixing cups too or porcelain?

My understanding is that the water should be heated in an iron pot.
Thanks.

Sep 21st, '18, 06:18

Re: Is a yixing clay teapot good for Gyokuro and KubuSencha?

by FBee » Sep 21st, '18, 06:18

Premium Gyukuru is best in a very low profile pot or something similar, almost horizontally flat. Some do not even cover it for fear of overbrewing. Yixing seems not ideal. Shapes not suitable in most cases, the filters not fine enough for Japanese tea.

Porcelain cups are always the better choice to truly appreciate the teas flavor.

Iron kettle, yes if you can afford a real one, otherwise do not bother and use one without plastic touching the water, the rest is marginal in importance.

Who suggested Yixing for Gyukuru? first time I hear that.

Sep 24th, '18, 05:35

by Teasenz » Sep 24th, '18, 05:35

Not ideal. The clay affects the flavor too much when it comes to teas with very delicate taste profiles. Stick to Yixing.

Sep 25th, '18, 05:45

by FBee » Sep 25th, '18, 05:45

Teasenz wrote: Not ideal. The clay affects the flavor too much when it comes to teas with very delicate taste profiles. Stick to Yixing.
The question was is a yixing pot good for those teas, to which you reply not ideal... so which is it? :mrgreen:

Yixing is such a vast range of clays with huge differences in performance, seems not a good idea to generally recommend it.

I say stick with what the Japanese use for those teas. They drink it and a make the pots for them. Safest bet.

Sep 26th, '18, 22:49

by FBee » Sep 26th, '18, 22:49

See also this on the topic https://teaism99.com/2016/08/06/jade-dew/
This kind of pot is pretty ideal for Gyukuru.

Oct 2nd, '18, 23:03

by colewiebe » Oct 2nd, '18, 23:03

I love Gyokuro. I brew mine at 50 - 60˚C in a Japanese Tokoname red clay kyusu. I also have several Chinese Yixing clay teapots, but those are dedicated to specific ripe pu-erh, fu cha, and oolong teas. The taller profile of most Yixing teapots typically better suits the need for the leaves to expand, and the higher 90 - 100˚C brew temperatures.

aworkofmarc wrote: New into the world of quality green tea and a little boggled with all the options. Looking to try my first purchases of premium Gyokuro and KubuSencha bought directly from online Japan retailers and arriving next week.

Problem is I run into many different answers on teapots. I've read that yixing is the best type clay pot to use and that I should steep the premium Gyokuro and KubuSencha in a low profile, very flat pot with a wide top lid, so the leaves can have room to gently unroll.

Should I buy yixing cups too or porcelain?

My understanding is that the water should be heated in an iron pot.
Thanks.

+ Post Reply