Oct 15th, '18, 08:04

Re: High end yixing

by Zared » Oct 15th, '18, 08:04

bagua7 wrote: Lukevecent is an eBay seller that has been recommended here many times before. I use several of his pots.

An I like (and use) the pots by oldzisha (formerly known as 5000friend)...despite the naysayers. ;)

Cheap beginner pots and artificial junk is what you consider high end? 🙄

Oct 16th, '18, 03:25

by 12Tea » Oct 16th, '18, 03:25

For really high end, you've to at least make sure:
  • The teapot must come with a certificate with the name of the maker
  • The teapot is stamped with the seal of the Yixing artist on the inside and outside of the teapot
  • An most importantly, the maker has to be a certified Yixing maker of the highest grade. It's a kind exam that's recognized within China.
You can get a 'good' Yixing teapot online for between 100 - 250 USD. Yet, high-end teapots with super good craftmanship won't go on sale online. In China, they're mostly sold offline through the personal network of the Yixing maker. Nobody would buy a 1000 USD teapot on eBay anyways. You could perhaps try to contact Teasenz, they work with many artist. I don't think the highest end teapots are on sale on their site either, but they can help you probably though email.

Oct 16th, '18, 17:09

by imkvn » Oct 16th, '18, 17:09

https://songtea.com/pages/ceramics-by-f ... ons/teapot

Has anyone bought anything from here. Some of their expensive stuff looks fairly good quality. I really like their tea trays, but 1000 seems steep for what it is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oct 16th, '18, 21:12

by FBee » Oct 16th, '18, 21:12

12Tea wrote: For really high end, you've to at least make sure:
  • The teapot must come with a certificate with the name of the maker
  • The teapot is stamped with the seal of the Yixing artist on the inside and outside of the teapot
  • An most importantly, the maker has to be a certified Yixing maker of the highest grade. It's a kind exam that's recognized within China.
That excludes all the vintage and antique pots, which are often the real high end tea pots...
A Qing dynasty teapot made by a master craftsman, in now extinct clay, is probably as high end as you can get :mrgreen:

Certificates won't come with those...
A piece of paper is nice to maybe add to the credibility of a modern pot, but by far not a must, nor a 100% proof of anything.

Oct 16th, '18, 21:14

by FBee » Oct 16th, '18, 21:14

imkvn wrote: https://songtea.com/pages/ceramics-by-f ... ons/teapot

Has anyone bought anything from here. Some of their expensive stuff looks fairly good quality. I really like their tea trays, but 1000 seems steep for what it is.

They probably just have a very steep mark-up due to their location in pricey SF.
Good taste in their selection though.

Oct 19th, '18, 00:09

by OCTO » Oct 19th, '18, 00:09

A note that serves as a reminder to myself...

There is no one universally agreed price category that rates the entry level, low end, mid end more so high end pots when it comes to art pieces. I consider a teapot a piece of art because we appreciate each teapot using similar parameters and insights practiced by art connoisseurs worldwide.

But one general benchmark which I’ve observed and came to accept is the amount of money that the buyer is willing to spend. One word to summarize that is AFFORDABILITY. Whichever “end” one ends up in solely depends on how deep he/she is willing to dig in to their pocket. There are collectors who consider $1000 pot entry level. Where an average Joe is happy with a $100 pot which could be “high end” enough for him.

My 2cents!

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 19th, '18, 03:04

by FBee » Oct 19th, '18, 03:04

Good points!

Oct 19th, '18, 15:40

by imkvn » Oct 19th, '18, 15:40

My Phoenix dragon pot that sits as an art piece, and a newer styled pot. The more expensive it is the more impractical it is to make tea. Simple is better. The hierarchy is tea, water, steeping time/technique, pot, heat retention, shape, clay.

Nice pots won't have the best clay, but better design. Old pots have better clay but more likely thicker walled, leaks, cracks, and a slow pour.

Expensive museum pots are more about the artist displaying his or her sculpture, painting, pot design, firing, and uniqueness. It ends up as functional piece of art.

The pots on the internet are generally slip cast, or marked up double the cost. They are all real pots and made or some type of clay. The newer clays are more consistent in texture, firing, color, and expansion that's why they are used.

The best place is to get good quality pots are from someone on the forum, or go to the country, know someone, or the artist. [IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201810 ... c993d9.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201810 ... 05f854.jpg[/IMG]Image

+ Post Reply