Oct 3rd 18 7:23 pm
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 2nd 18 4:09 pm

New teapot!

by tron » Oct 3rd 18 7:23 pm

Hello everyone, I have been viewing the fourm for quite some time but this is my first post. I got this teapot online and it's my first yixing. I tried to take in a fair bit of info before purchasing. But any more knowledge you can pass on about it would be appreciated. Also I noticed a discoloration under the lid and a bit in the body could this be due to low temp firing??

Stats from seller
Made: 1990s
Kiln: dragon kiln
Clay: dunnai
Style: jing lan
Hand made
Vol: 110ml
Low pitch sound when tapped
Maker: Liu Mei
IMG_20181002_214023.jpeg
IMG_20181002_213555.jpeg
IMG_20181002_213424.jpeg
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oct 4th 18 1:33 am
Posts: 100
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: New teapot!

by FBee » Oct 4th 18 1:33 am

I doubt that it is from a dragon kiln, those where not used anymore(stopped before the 50s) in the 90s...

Low pitch sound means, probably low fired and the clay looks really porous, might work for some Puerh, but will kill flavor in a lot of other teas. Have you tested, compared it with other pots?

Clay looks like a modern blend, so I am not even sure it is 90s, might be newer.

Oct 4th 18 2:51 am
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 2nd 18 4:09 pm

Re: New teapot!

by tron » Oct 4th 18 2:51 am

Hi, fbee thanks for the feedback. No I haven't used it. Plus I don't really have a pot to compare it too I'm not sure if there is much of a yixing community where I live. I appreciate the honest feed back I was thinking I may use it for greener oolongs or teguanyin but you think it should be used for puerh??

Any idea what that discoloration may be??

Have just attached more photos.
LRM_EXPORT_42105524082923_20181002_215802123.jpeg
IMG_20181002_214023.jpeg
IMG_20181002_214224.jpeg
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oct 4th 18 10:27 pm
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 2nd 18 4:09 pm

Re: RE: Re: New teapot!

by tron » Oct 4th 18 10:27 pm

FBee wrote:I doubt that it is from a dragon kiln, those where not used anymore(stopped before the 50s) in the 90s...

Low pitch sound means, probably low fired and the clay looks really porous, might work for some Puerh, but will kill flavor in a lot of other teas. Have you tested, compared it with other pots?

Clay looks like a modern blend, so I am not even sure it is 90s, might be newer.
I appreciate the info! A bit disappointing in some senses but it is a beautiful pot. Do you have any idea what that discoloration might be??

As for porosity, what do you think about greener oolongs like Tiguanyin?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Oct 8th 18 6:24 am
Posts: 33
Joined: Sep 21st 18 6:29 am

Re: New teapot!

by carmeloneo » Oct 8th 18 6:24 am

tron wrote: Hello everyone, I have been viewing the fourm for quite some time but this is my first post. I got this teapot online and it's my first yixing. I tried to take in a fair bit of info before purchasing. But any more knowledge you can pass on about it would be appreciated. Also I noticed a discoloration under the lid and a bit in the body could this be due to low temp firing??

Stats from seller
Made: 1990s
Kiln: dragon kiln
Clay: dunnai
Style: jing lan
Hand made
Vol: 110ml
Low pitch sound when tapped
Maker: Liu MeiIMG_20181002_214023.jpegIMG_20181002_213555.jpegIMG_20181002_213424.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It's a nice work.
nowadays, there's only one dragon kiln still being used.
it looks like dragon kiln firing from its appearance.
the stamp on bottom is Yixing China, it should be gift works, not by a famous artist.

Oct 9th 18 3:25 am
Posts: 100
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: RE: Re: New teapot!

by FBee » Oct 9th 18 3:25 am

tron wrote:
FBee wrote:I doubt that it is from a dragon kiln, those where not used anymore(stopped before the 50s) in the 90s...

Low pitch sound means, probably low fired and the clay looks really porous, might work for some Puerh, but will kill flavor in a lot of other teas. Have you tested, compared it with other pots?

Clay looks like a modern blend, so I am not even sure it is 90s, might be newer.
I appreciate the info! A bit disappointing in some senses but it is a beautiful pot. Do you have any idea what that discoloration might be??

As for porosity, what do you think about greener oolongs like Tiguanyin?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Anything green lives off the delicate floral flavours, those will dissappear with porous clay. Best thing is too try, teapot and at the same time porcelain, then you can compare and see how the difference is.

A roasted TGY like the ones from Taiwan might work better.

No idea what the coloration is, looks more like the clay has not been blended evenly?

Oct 9th 18 5:14 pm
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 9th 18 4:34 pm

Re: New teapot!

by bin » Oct 9th 18 5:14 pm

The material suppose to be kind of old duanni. But I am quite doubt it will be real.

When purchase Yixing clay teapot for tea, the most important thing is that the material is real yixing zisha, not fake one.

Oct 16th 18 10:40 pm
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 2nd 18 4:09 pm

Re: New teapot!

by tron » Oct 16th 18 10:40 pm

Thank you all. It would be a shame if it's fake clay. But it is difficult without a baseline to know especially for someone new like me.... Absolutely porous clay trips a lot of the subtle bits to the florals in a TGY and it makes it "flatter". Hmm why use clay for oolongs at all? Are there specific ones it shines with?

Ali

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Oct 18th 18 1:38 am
Posts: 33
Joined: Sep 21st 18 6:29 am

Re: New teapot!

by carmeloneo » Oct 18th 18 1:38 am

When and where you got it? the small seal on the lid is "桂珍", maybe master "周桂珍" 's works.
do you have a certificate?

Oct 18th 18 2:22 am
Posts: 167
Joined: Dec 2nd 10 3:53 am
Location: CA

Re: New teapot!

by Zared » Oct 18th 18 2:22 am

carmeloneo wrote: When and where you got it? the small seal on the lid is "桂珍", maybe master "周桂珍" 's works.
do you have a certificate?
It’s from yunnansourcing.com which is not known for selling high end yixing.

Oct 21st 18 9:44 pm
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 2nd 18 4:09 pm

Re: New teapot!

by tron » Oct 21st 18 9:44 pm

Thank you for all of the great replies. Yes it's from Yunnan sourcing. Fit and finish seem to be good. It was stated that it was made in the early 90"s from old duan night clay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk