Jan 6th, '19, 18:41

Beautiful Yixing teapots - need advice

by teakitty » Jan 6th, '19, 18:41

Hi, a tea novice here! My mom used to do a lot of research in the Chinese countryside and collected a lot of high-quality items over the years. She gave me these two beautiful Yixing teapots which I've had on display but have never used (the second one actually comes with *ten* tiny teacups!). I also have a lot of nice Chinese tea that I've been given by both my parents, and am terribly spoiled in that I've been drinking good green tea all my life but I don't know much about different teas except what tastes good to me.

Recently I opened a package of mingxian tea that my dad had given me several years ago-- I was saving it as he told me that it was given to him as a gift and was likely very expensive. I probably waited too long to open it and it's lost some flavor, and also just realized a few days back that I'm not getting the most out of that tea because I used water that's too hot. And then I thought I should also use the nice teapots that my mom had given me, and I started looking into it and learned that yixing teapots are very special and require seasoning and being consistent with the kind of tea used. I boiled them and was about to season them with my favorite jasmine tea when I read that they shouldn't be used with green tea at all!

I'm hoping that all of the experts on this forum can help me... I read that green tea used in these pots will result in a swampy taste, but that it may not be true for all yixian teapots-- is there any way to tell if mine are suitable? Is there a tea that you'd suggest to try for someone who primary enjoys fragrant jasmine tea?

Also, I thought you'd all appreciate the interesting lid on the second pot-- it adjusts very smoothly from closed to fully open so that you can allow some steam out. I also believe that both teapots are zini clay and I definitely noticed a purplish tinge in the second pot when I boiled it, which you can see in some lighting (see upside-down lid photo). If you could tell me any info about these teapots from the photos, I'd appreciate learning about them too!

Jan 20th, '19, 11:13

Re: Beautiful Yixing teapots - need advice

by carmeloneo » Jan 20th, '19, 11:13

The first stamp is master "季益顺"(1960-), judged from the carving and craftwork ,it should be his early works, Great probably it's real, it's a pity that there's a crack on the lid.

Jan 21st, '19, 01:39

by bagua7 » Jan 21st, '19, 01:39

Nice pots. Have fun with them! :)

Btw,

Green tea = porcelain

Dancong, yancha, puer and Taiwan mountain oolongs = Yixing

Jan 22nd, '19, 09:03

by Teasenz » Jan 22nd, '19, 09:03

It's not that you can't steep green tea with it. It's just that there's not much benefit steeping green in Yixing. That said, it would affect your Yixing in a bad way. If doesn't affect the taste of green tea in a bad way, it's completely ok to use the Yixing teapot for it.

By the way, I love both teapots really much. Animals on the lid is always nice as it gives the teapot a nice touch of spirit. The carving of the second teapot looks surprisingly deep. It would worry me that it might crack easier due to the big difference in thickness. I would suggest you to warm up this teapot before using it at full temperature.

+ Post Reply