Feb 14th, '19, 19:56

New to Yixing, 1 teapot to one flavor?

by Arleina » Feb 14th, '19, 19:56

Hi,
I've been wanting to get a Yixing teapot but I just wanted to make sure about some stuff before I buy.
The general rule is to dedicate one teapot to one tea flavor. For instance, I love Sticky Rice Pu-erh and want to get a yixing teapot for this pu-erh.
I would possibly be able to brew shou pu-erh in this teapot too (if i wanted too) but not a different flavored pu-erh like Mandarin Pu-erh, right?

Or if I get a yixing teapot for Tie Guan Yin, I should only use it for Tie Guan Yin and not any other oolongs, right?

I hope some of this is making sense and that someone can help me. Thanks!

Feb 23rd, '19, 02:52

Re: New to Yixing, 1 teapot to one flavor?

by tingjunkie » Feb 23rd, '19, 02:52

Generally speaking, Yixing are not used for flavored teas, but it's not against the law or anything. :D

When first starting out, you can brew different of tea in a pot, then narrow it down as you get more teapots. The worst that would happen is that you would have to reset the pot by boiling in clean water and start over.

Feb 26th, '19, 00:00

by capri » Feb 26th, '19, 00:00

tingjunkie wrote: Generally speaking, Yixing are not used for flavored teas, but it's not against the law or anything. :D

When first starting out, you can brew different of tea in a pot, then narrow it down as you get more teapots. The worst that would happen is that you would have to reset the pot by boiling in clean water and start over.
Is boiling water and pouring into the teapot enough to reset the pot ?
how long should the water stay in there ?
Thanks!

Mar 1st, '19, 01:43

by tingjunkie » Mar 1st, '19, 01:43

Depends on how used the pot is. Pouring a full kettle through the pot and then letting it sit overnight might be enough.

Apr 7th, '19, 15:34

by imkvn » Apr 7th, '19, 15:34

capri wrote:
tingjunkie wrote: Generally speaking, Yixing are not used for flavored teas, but it's not against the law or anything. :D

Is boiling water and pouring into the teapot enough to reset the pot ?
how long should the water stay in there ?
Thanks!
This sounds like blasphemy, but I would just drink it with the new tea. If it was drastically different from what was in there I'd soak it with the new tea. Brew the new tea and leave it in there for a night then throw it out in the morning. Brew a new brew let it sit till the pot eventually has the right flavor profile.

The drastic way would be to scrub it with a tooth brush and use different things to clean it out. Then re-season the pot. In the end your wasting a lot of tea.

Apr 8th, '19, 06:35

by 12Tea » Apr 8th, '19, 06:35

I think you should just steep the sticky rice pu erh in an all-round gaiwan. I find Yixing teapots great for ripe pu erh, raw pu erh and dark oolong, and I recommend dedication one teapot for each of the types. To reset the flavor, it should be cooked, in a pan of hot water for at least one hour on low fire. It's quite cumbersome, so I would avoid it.

+ Post Reply