Mar 30th 19 6:23 pm

How to tell if red pot has painted or raw clay surface?

by bencuri » Mar 30th 19 6:23 pm

I would like to buy a red yixing tea pot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress. I don't know how they make these pots red, and I fear that I buy one that was actually painted red on its whole surface, and during use the paint will dissolve into the tea making it poisonous. Keeping up with safety standards in Chineese production is not always guaranteed in certain factories. I guess if the pot is raw clay on the surface I don't need to worry about this hazard. But how can I tell whether the color of the pot comes from painting or not?

Apr 3rd 19 6:42 pm
Mod/Admin

Re: How to tell if red pot has painted or raw clay surface?

by AndrewGC » Apr 3rd 19 6:42 pm

Hey bencuri -

Great question! We'd suggest looking for a source you can trust where you know the Clay pots are true yixing and have not been altered or coated. Have you checked out ours at Adagio? The price is pretty hard to beat! https://www.adagio.com/teaware/yixing.html

They're all completely unglazed or painted! Whats your favorite style?
bencuri wrote: I would like to buy a red yixing tea pot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress. I don't know how they make these pots red, and I fear that I buy one that was actually painted red on its whole surface, and during use the paint will dissolve into the tea making it poisonous. Keeping up with safety standards in Chineese production is not always guaranteed in certain factories. I guess if the pot is raw clay on the surface I don't need to worry about this hazard. But how can I tell whether the color of the pot comes from painting or not?

Apr 7th 19 7:08 pm

by imkvn » Apr 7th 19 7:08 pm

Usually the tea pots from alliexpress are generally slip cast molds. The clay is pushed through a mold and pulled out. The clay itself is different usually a bit more uniform dyes waxes are used for the shine. You probably will not die from it.

Is it comparable to an expensive pot probably not. An expensive pot will only give you piece of mind, and probably 2%-5% of a smoothing out affect on certain teas if brewed correctly in them. Then the artist/brand.

Drinking tea is more about the tea. If you want an ok pot look on the forum. You'll have piece of mind it has some type of legitimacy. Bare in mind the cost might start from 100-150.

Apr 8th 19 10:41 am

by Teasenz » Apr 8th 19 10:41 am

bencuri wrote: I would like to buy a red yixing teapot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress.
It's hard to find a real Yixing teapot on Aliexpress, because platform is soo price focused.