User avatar
May 9th 10 12:37 pm
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by Tead Off » May 9th 10 12:37 pm

tingjunkie wrote:If boiling doesn't work, you can always soak it in a diluted bleach solution for a couple days, then boil it in clean water. I know several extremely knowledgeable Yixing collectors/users who recommend this. If that won't work, I have successfully removed hard water stains from pots by carefully using fine steel wool. Just don't go overboard with the rubbing. :wink:
I've got a Japanese vase and a chawan that have mold smell that have not responded to the bleach soak, hot water soak, or, baking soda soak. But, chittychat's alcohol soak gives me hope! Mold can be a very insidious problem. I hope this works.

User avatar
May 10th 10 3:10 am
Posts: 143
Joined: Apr 18th 10 6:57 am

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by chittychat » May 10th 10 3:10 am

tsverrir wrote: But I'm not using gin, I would use vodka or something unflavored.

-- Sverrir
You are right. Actually what the Chinese said was use drinkable alcohol may be gin. I think what he ment was not to use denatured alcohol. I used Cocosschnaps, a distill made from fermented coconut sap.

User avatar
May 10th 10 3:16 am
Posts: 143
Joined: Apr 18th 10 6:57 am

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by chittychat » May 10th 10 3:16 am

Tead Off wrote:[ Mold can be a very insidious problem.
You bet, it takes 4 months of daily soaking in hot water with epson salt to get rid of a toe nail fungus. :idea: Just an idea, should I try alcohol with tea the next time? :wink:

User avatar
May 10th 10 4:46 am
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by debunix » May 10th 10 4:46 am

chittychat wrote:You bet, it takes 4 months of daily soaking in hot water with epson salt to get rid of a toe nail fungus.
Actually, the reason it takes so long is that you have to grow out an entirely new nail while under treatment, so that you can cut off all the infected stuff and have nice fresh uninfected nail only left behind. You do that by taking oral antifungals, because that's what protects the new nail from being infected.

Epsom salts won't do it, if the fungal infection is well established. Nor will topical treatments like the toenail fungus liquids and powders and ointments sold over the counter at pharmacies.

Since our pots aren't growing--at least, nothing except the mold!--the analogy breaks down completely here.

User avatar
May 10th 10 7:52 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th 09 3:16 pm
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by IPT » May 10th 10 7:52 am

debunix wrote:
chittychat wrote:You bet, it takes 4 months of daily soaking in hot water with epson salt to get rid of a toe nail fungus.
Actually, the reason it takes so long is that you have to grow out an entirely new nail while under treatment, so that you can cut off all the infected stuff and have nice fresh uninfected nail only left behind. You do that by taking oral antifungals, because that's what protects the new nail from being infected.

Epsom salts won't do it, if the fungal infection is well established. Nor will topical treatments like the toenail fungus liquids and powders and ointments sold over the counter at pharmacies.

Since our pots aren't growing--at least, nothing except the mold!--the analogy breaks down completely here.
That's just Yucky!!!

User avatar
May 10th 10 8:23 am
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by debunix » May 10th 10 8:23 am

Agreed!

Now wondering about my pretty new kyusu, which is used daily, rinsed thoroughly, and left upside down in a dish drainer to dry. When I take it out the next morning to use it, usually there is a little water left inside the edge of the rim that drips down to the bottom of the pot. I've tried to position it with the sasame and spout at the lowest point, but that's very tricky.

Is my kyusu at risk for developing mold?

Jul 14th 19 6:26 am
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 14th 19 6:25 am

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by mretoosk » Jul 14th 19 6:26 am

We made a good apartment renovating last summer. But after the winter frosts, the moldiness appeared in the wall corners. There was normal heating, plastic windows, concrete house. No matter what we did in winter, nothing helped. Can you tell me, maybe we need to do something now, so we won't suffer next season? I read on the Internet that Rmr 86 helps quite well, but I asked friends, and nobody used it. Are there maybe people who bought this product?

Jul 21st 19 5:20 am
Posts: 23
Joined: Jul 21st 19 4:34 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by Spanky » Jul 21st 19 5:20 am

mretoosk wrote: We made a good apartment renovating last summer. But after the winter frosts, the moldiness appeared in the wall corners. There was normal heating, plastic windows, concrete house. No matter what we did in winter, nothing helped. Can you tell me, maybe we need to do something now, so we won't suffer next season? I read on the Internet that Rmr 86 helps quite well, but I asked friends, and nobody used it. Are there maybe people who bought this product?
I have not used this product but you need to improve insulation to fight condensation. also need to remove anything that has mold inside and replace drywall. If there is mold on wood, you can mist with dilute bleach solution (avoid hitting electrical wiring because it will corrode). good luck :mrgreen: