User avatar
May 9th 10 12:37 pm
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by Tead Off » May 9th 10 12:37 pm

tingjunkie wrote:If boiling doesn't work, you can always soak it in a diluted bleach solution for a couple days, then boil it in clean water. I know several extremely knowledgeable Yixing collectors/users who recommend this. If that won't work, I have successfully removed hard water stains from pots by carefully using fine steel wool. Just don't go overboard with the rubbing. :wink:
I've got a Japanese vase and a chawan that have mold smell that have not responded to the bleach soak, hot water soak, or, baking soda soak. But, chittychat's alcohol soak gives me hope! Mold can be a very insidious problem. I hope this works.

User avatar
May 10th 10 3:10 am
Posts: 143
Joined: Apr 18th 10 6:57 am

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by chittychat » May 10th 10 3:10 am

tsverrir wrote: But I'm not using gin, I would use vodka or something unflavored.

-- Sverrir
You are right. Actually what the Chinese said was use drinkable alcohol may be gin. I think what he ment was not to use denatured alcohol. I used Cocosschnaps, a distill made from fermented coconut sap.

User avatar
May 10th 10 3:16 am
Posts: 143
Joined: Apr 18th 10 6:57 am

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by chittychat » May 10th 10 3:16 am

Tead Off wrote:[ Mold can be a very insidious problem.
You bet, it takes 4 months of daily soaking in hot water with epson salt to get rid of a toe nail fungus. :idea: Just an idea, should I try alcohol with tea the next time? :wink:

User avatar
May 10th 10 4:46 am
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by debunix » May 10th 10 4:46 am

chittychat wrote:You bet, it takes 4 months of daily soaking in hot water with epson salt to get rid of a toe nail fungus.
Actually, the reason it takes so long is that you have to grow out an entirely new nail while under treatment, so that you can cut off all the infected stuff and have nice fresh uninfected nail only left behind. You do that by taking oral antifungals, because that's what protects the new nail from being infected.

Epsom salts won't do it, if the fungal infection is well established. Nor will topical treatments like the toenail fungus liquids and powders and ointments sold over the counter at pharmacies.

Since our pots aren't growing--at least, nothing except the mold!--the analogy breaks down completely here.

User avatar
May 10th 10 7:52 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th 09 3:16 pm
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by IPT » May 10th 10 7:52 am

debunix wrote:
chittychat wrote:You bet, it takes 4 months of daily soaking in hot water with epson salt to get rid of a toe nail fungus.
Actually, the reason it takes so long is that you have to grow out an entirely new nail while under treatment, so that you can cut off all the infected stuff and have nice fresh uninfected nail only left behind. You do that by taking oral antifungals, because that's what protects the new nail from being infected.

Epsom salts won't do it, if the fungal infection is well established. Nor will topical treatments like the toenail fungus liquids and powders and ointments sold over the counter at pharmacies.

Since our pots aren't growing--at least, nothing except the mold!--the analogy breaks down completely here.
That's just Yucky!!!

User avatar
May 10th 10 8:23 am
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by debunix » May 10th 10 8:23 am

Agreed!

Now wondering about my pretty new kyusu, which is used daily, rinsed thoroughly, and left upside down in a dish drainer to dry. When I take it out the next morning to use it, usually there is a little water left inside the edge of the rim that drips down to the bottom of the pot. I've tried to position it with the sasame and spout at the lowest point, but that's very tricky.

Is my kyusu at risk for developing mold?

Jul 14th 19 6:26 am
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 14th 19 6:25 am

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by mretoosk » Jul 14th 19 6:26 am

We made a good apartment renovating last summer. But after the winter frosts, the moldiness appeared in the wall corners. There was normal heating, plastic windows, concrete house. No matter what we did in winter, nothing helped. Can you tell me, maybe we need to do something now, so we won't suffer next season? I read on the Internet that Rmr 86 helps quite well, but I asked friends, and nobody used it. Are there maybe people who bought this product?

Jul 21st 19 5:20 am
Posts: 23
Joined: Jul 21st 19 4:34 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by Spanky » Jul 21st 19 5:20 am

mretoosk wrote: We made a good apartment renovating last summer. But after the winter frosts, the moldiness appeared in the wall corners. There was normal heating, plastic windows, concrete house. No matter what we did in winter, nothing helped. Can you tell me, maybe we need to do something now, so we won't suffer next season? I read on the Internet that Rmr 86 helps quite well, but I asked friends, and nobody used it. Are there maybe people who bought this product?
I have not used this product but you need to improve insulation to fight condensation. also need to remove anything that has mold inside and replace drywall. If there is mold on wood, you can mist with dilute bleach solution (avoid hitting electrical wiring because it will corrode). good luck :mrgreen:

Sep 22nd 19 6:06 pm
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 22nd 19 6:05 pm

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by moosix » Sep 22nd 19 6:06 pm

If you notice an affected area, do not put off measures to get rid of mold. Light infections can be removed with folk remedies. But a sure-fire way is to use special chemical compounds Rmr 86. However, for this, it is necessary to do complex work, including cleaning old plaster and applying a new primer and wall decoration. And do not forget that after getting rid of fungi, you need to take preventive measures that are to improve thermal insulation, ventilation, conduct regular cleaning.

User avatar
Oct 20th 19 6:24 pm
Posts: 6
Joined: Aug 8th 19 8:45 pm

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by MasterSplinter » Oct 20th 19 6:24 pm

Lots of good ideas here. I have a sure fire way to clean literally anything off of and out of my pots- including shoe polish and mold!
Just place the teapot in a very clean smallish saucepan or stainless steel bowl with 2/3 water 1/3 bleach. Make sure the teapot is fully covered in liquid at all times of this process. Place this onto heat and bring up the temperature. Keep the temperature low enough to be just under a boil so the teapot and lid don’t rattle- a very soft, sub-boil. Soft boil the Yixing in the bleach solution for around 2 hours, refilling with bleach and water when necessary. Let the pot stay in that solution until it is cool.
Repeat this exact process except now with 2/3 water 1/3 hydrogen peroxide. This will neutralize the bleach in all the pores of the pot. After the 1-2 hour soft boil in hydrogen peroxide, turn the heat off and let the teapot sit in that same solution overnight.
The next day, soft boil your pot in some of your best tea leaves of the type you will us for that teapot. After 2 hours of soft boil or so, turn the heat off and let the teapot just sit in that tea solution for around a day. This will bring some oil back into the clay of the teapot.
This process is a hard reset for any teapot and cleans even the hard to scrub places. But remember, any patina is lost and reset as well.
I hope this simple process helps you as much as it has me!

Dec 9th 19 2:02 am
Posts: 12
Joined: Jun 27th 17 2:40 pm
Location: munich, germany
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: mold on a yixing pot

by digitalray » Dec 9th 19 2:02 am

boiling sure is a good way, but some moulds can live in higher temps..
one way i thought of might be just placing it in the oven at high temps like 200 to 300 °C for some time. this might kill moulds even better (after cleaning, boiling and drying it as if still wet inside the clay, the water might expand and break the pot).
i'm no expert, but heating in the oven when dry sounds ok with me as they were fired at even >1000 °C before, so they should be ok.