Aug 12th 19 9:01 pm
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 1st 12 3:25 am

Yixing tea cups

by mad_pharmacist » Aug 12th 19 9:01 pm

Hello everyone. I have been using Yixing teapots for some time, but recently bought two unglazed tea cups. I have boiled the cups and they are ready for use. Do I need to keep these tea cups for one type of tea or can I use this for multiple types of teas?

Aug 13th 19 7:56 am
Posts: 23
Joined: Jul 21st 19 4:34 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Yixing tea cups

by Spanky » Aug 13th 19 7:56 am

You can use them for multiplee teas.

Aug 13th 19 8:22 am
Posts: 225
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by FBee » Aug 13th 19 8:22 am

I disagree. If an Yixing pot should be dedicated and seasoned with one kind of tea, why would a cup made of the same clay be any different?

There is a reason, that Yixing cups often have a white glazed inside and that in general not many use unglazed Yixing cups (they are often also made of mediocre clay).

Aug 13th 19 5:31 pm
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 1st 12 3:25 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by mad_pharmacist » Aug 13th 19 5:31 pm

I have a teapot and gong dao bei by the same artist. These are made of the same clay. I have used the teapot for Wuyi yancha. Because of the concern for flavor mixing, I have been using the gong dao bei for Wuyi yancha as well. Even though I have used both teapot and gong dao bei for the same amount of the time, the gong dao bei doesn't seem to attain the same degree of seasoning.

Aug 14th 19 12:36 am
Posts: 225
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by FBee » Aug 14th 19 12:36 am

mad_pharmacist wrote: I have a teapot and gong dao bei by the same artist. These are made of the same clay. I have used the teapot for Wuyi yancha. Because of the concern for flavor mixing, I have been using the gong dao bei for Wuyi yancha as well. Even though I have used both teapot and gong dao bei for the same amount of the time, the gong dao bei doesn't seem to attain the same degree of seasoning.
Less heat and less time of the liquid spent in the vessel. Also the leaves stay in the pot, adding to the seasoning.

Aug 14th 19 12:44 am
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 1st 12 3:25 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by mad_pharmacist » Aug 14th 19 12:44 am

FBee wrote:
mad_pharmacist wrote: I have a teapot and gong dao bei by the same artist. These are made of the same clay. I have used the teapot for Wuyi yancha. Because of the concern for flavor mixing, I have been using the gong dao bei for Wuyi yancha as well. Even though I have used both teapot and gong dao bei for the same amount of the time, the gong dao bei doesn't seem to attain the same degree of seasoning.
Less heat and less time of the liquid spent in the vessel. Also the leaves stay in the pot, adding to the seasoning.
You are absolutely right. Hence that's my question. Does it matter to save the tea cup for one type of tea?

Aug 14th 19 1:16 am
Posts: 225
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by FBee » Aug 14th 19 1:16 am

I think in the long term it probably still does.

Even if you you flash them with hot water after use, something will slowly build up. Is it Hongni, Zini or Duanni? Hongni is probably the least affected, Zini faster and Duanni probably as well.

I would also do some side by side testing with other cups in porcelain, other clays etc. for a more general idea of how the cups influence the taste of the tea.

Aug 14th 19 1:22 am
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 1st 12 3:25 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by mad_pharmacist » Aug 14th 19 1:22 am

FBee wrote: I think in the long term it probably still does.

Even if you you flash them with hot water after use, something will slowly build up. Is it Hongni, Zini or Duanni? Hongni is probably the least affected, Zini faster and Duanni probably as well.

I would also do some side by side testing with other cups in porcelain, other clays etc. for a more general idea of how the cups influence the taste of the tea.
It's da hong pai clay.

Aug 14th 19 1:41 am
Posts: 225
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by FBee » Aug 14th 19 1:41 am

mad_pharmacist wrote: It's da hong pai clay.
You can read up on it here: https://www.mudandleaves.com/teatime-bl ... ngpao-clay

more likely than not, yours in the last, mass market category of it. Unless you paid an arm and a leg for it, also rare (maybe never done) that whole sets are made of the original DHP. At least I never heard of a full set made of the real, premium DHP.

In any case it should be fairly neutral in terms of affecting the tea.

Aug 14th 19 1:45 am
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 1st 12 3:25 am

Re: Yixing tea cups

by mad_pharmacist » Aug 14th 19 1:45 am

FBee wrote:
mad_pharmacist wrote: It's da hong pai clay.
You can read up on it here: https://www.mudandleaves.com/teatime-bl ... ngpao-clay

more likely than not, yours in the last, mass market category of it. Unless you paid an arm and a leg for it, also rare (maybe never done) that whole sets are made of the original DHP. At least I never heard of a full set made of the real, premium DHP.

In any case it should be fairly neutral in terms of affecting the tea.
I doubt that it's made of rare and elusive clay. The color is consistent with pictures of pots made of da hong pao clay, but then it can be achieved by adding the right amount of iron oxide to clay. I will use it for different teas then. Thanks for your advice.