Jan 14th, '20, 13:44

How old teapots are ok to use

by GuiHua » Jan 14th, '20, 13:44

Hello!

I just bought my first yixing teapot. It's vintage and I don't know the exact age, so I was wondering how old teapots can get before it's not advisable to brew tea in them anymore? Are older teaware for example prone to cracking?

Mine is in perfect condition and both looks and feels like as good as new, so I hope it's fine to use it. But it would be interesting to hear what you all think.

Jan 14th, '20, 17:39

Re: How old teapots are ok to use

by Zared » Jan 14th, '20, 17:39

Thermal shock can crack yixing which is why it’s always wise to pre warm it. Some people also believe you should soak 70’s and older pots for a couple weeks prior to first using it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/teaism99.c ... ening/amp/

Nothing wrong w/ using vintage and antique pots as long as your comfortable w/ the possibility of dropping it or cracking from thermal shock. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much unless it’s worth $500-1000+

Jan 15th, '20, 02:18

by Bok » Jan 15th, '20, 02:18

GuiHua wrote: Hello!

I just bought my first yixing teapot. It's vintage and I don't know the exact age, so I was wondering how old teapots can get before it's not advisable to brew tea in them anymore? Are older teaware for example prone to cracking?

Mine is in perfect condition and both looks and feels like as good as new, so I hope it's fine to use it. But it would be interesting to hear what you all think.
How vintage is vintage? That aside a lot of people us every old teapots, even antique ones. Clean and boil with water and it should be safe to use.

Jan 15th, '20, 15:30

by GuiHua » Jan 15th, '20, 15:30

Bok wrote:

How vintage is vintage? That aside a lot of people us every old teapots, even antique ones. Clean and boil with water and it should be safe to use.
Mine is about 50 years old. It has been used previously, but not much since it lacks stains and patina.

Thanks for both comments!

Jan 18th, '20, 18:14

by TuoChaTea » Jan 18th, '20, 18:14

Where did you get the teapot?

Jan 19th, '20, 20:23

by FBee » Jan 19th, '20, 20:23

GuiHua wrote:
Bok wrote:

Mine is about 50 years old. It has been used previously, but not much since it lacks stains and patina.

Thanks for both comments!
1970s is relatively young still(if it is real as that is already a period of relative rarity and lots of fakes), should be absolutely ok. Patina can also be cleaned off to be like new, so it is an unreliable factor.

Jan 26th, '20, 09:11

by GuiHua » Jan 26th, '20, 09:11

TuoChaTea wrote: Where did you get the teapot?
A little late reply:

From a vintage seller on etsy.com that specializes in selling old chinese items. They only had one (mine) yixing teapot for sale, and apparently it has previously been owned by a collector.

Looks like this:

Jan 28th, '20, 05:44

by FBee » Jan 28th, '20, 05:44

GuiHua wrote:
A little late reply:

From a vintage seller on etsy.com that specializes in selling old chinese items. They only had one (mine) yixing teapot for sale, and apparently it has previously been owned by a collector.

Looks like this:
Unlikely that this is from the 1970s. Decorated pots were only made later on. Looks more like 80-90s at the most.

Jan 28th, '20, 09:41

by GuiHua » Jan 28th, '20, 09:41

FBee wrote:
GuiHua wrote:
A little late reply:

Looks like this:
Unlikely that this is from the 1970s. Decorated pots were only made later on. Looks more like 80-90s at the most.
Good to know! Thanks!

Feb 5th, '20, 12:32

by BenHK » Feb 5th, '20, 12:32

this is not vintage, and the characters on the pot are Simplified Chinese,
and the message is one Buddhist scripture

really no one with enough artistic demand will apply simplified Chinese on teapot,
even Mainland Chinese love to see ancient characters on it.

but cannot rule out it is from 1970s, the pot is well made i can give you that,
just someone don't like simplified Chinese on it, nevertheless it is a good pot

also need to see the inside of pot and lid, and the name chop for more detail
Attachments
pot1.jpg

Feb 10th, '20, 16:24

by GuiHua » Feb 10th, '20, 16:24

BenHK wrote: this is not vintage, and the characters on the pot are Simplified Chinese,
and the message is one Buddhist scripture

really no one with enough artistic demand will apply simplified Chinese on teapot,
even Mainland Chinese love to see ancient characters on it.

but cannot rule out it is from 1970s, the pot is well made i can give you that,
just someone don't like simplified Chinese on it, nevertheless it is a good pot

also need to see the inside of pot and lid, and the name chop for more detail
Thanks, very interesting thoughts.
Maybe the artist thought that traditional characters where too difficult to read in small calligraphy or too time consuming to write.

Do you know the name of the buddhist scripture? Unfortunately my mandarin is still on a quite low level, so I have only been able to identify a few hanzi that don’t give me much clue about the content.

I’m adding a few more photos:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Feb 13th, '20, 07:46

by TuoChaTea » Feb 13th, '20, 07:46

Multiple hole filter suggest, that the teapot is most likely quite new, 90's or later.

Feb 13th, '20, 22:20

by FBee » Feb 13th, '20, 22:20

In this case yes, but not necessarily, you find all sorts of hole combinations even on Qing dynasty teapots, 1, 2, 4, 5-holes all did exist.

Feb 22nd, '20, 03:55

by BenHK » Feb 22nd, '20, 03:55

It is
般若波羅蜜多心經

The pot is well made

+ Post Reply