Apr 1st, '21, 16:43

Any information on this tea storage jar appreciated...

by ShadowCaster » Apr 1st, '21, 16:43

I acquired this tea jar/canister, which I would like to use to store puer.

It came with a strong smell of solvent, which I now believe is lacquer or something else to give a bit of shine to the paint on the outside. I used information found from another post on cleaning tea pots. I boiled the jar and lid for about an hour. After which, the smell was considerably better and I noticed that the sheen on the jar was diminished. I think it(lacquer or something else) was placed on there to make the jar look better. Anyways, I am going to continue working on it until the smell is completely gone.

Is there any reason after completely cleaned that I shouldn't store dry tea leaves in it?

OK, just wondering if anyone could tell me what the lettering means? Also, I am guessing that this is a production product. Any information about this item would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_7676.jpeg
IMG_7677.jpeg

Apr 7th, '21, 01:34

Re: Any information on this tea storage jar appreciated...

by DailyTX » Apr 7th, '21, 01:34

When I see such color and sheen, it may be shoe polish that was used to make yixing clay teapots or other teawares to look old. If it has smells, it would affect your puerh down the road.

Apr 7th, '21, 23:17

by ShadowCaster » Apr 7th, '21, 23:17

DailyTX wrote: When I see such color and sheen, it may be shoe polish that was used to make yixing clay teapots or other teawares to look old. If it has smells, it would affect your puerh down the road.
Thanks, that sure is one possibility; I am trying to remember that smell and shoe polish is definitely one possibility. Honestly, I believe it could have been used to make the jar look better. Anyways, since I posted, I have removed every trace of any solvent smell and stains through boiling, baking, scrubbing/soaking with baking soda and sodium percarbonate. The smell is neutral/gone and the jar looks clean. I am going to see if adding some puer will allow it to take on the scent of the tea.

Apr 23rd, '21, 02:48

by Teasenz » Apr 23rd, '21, 02:48

How's the inside of the pot? If the inside doesn't have that layer applied, it should be ok.
You may try it out first with storing some cheaper pu erhs.
Loving the stories behind every leaf.

May 16th, '21, 11:42

by ShadowCaster » May 16th, '21, 11:42

Teasenz wrote: How's the inside of the pot? If the inside doesn't have that layer applied, it should be ok.
You may try it out first with storing some cheaper pu erhs.
Yes, the inside is like it should be, Yixing clay. It has been a while now and the outside still does not have any odor. I believe I cleaned the heck out of it and it is fine. The inside also has been scrubbed, boiled clean, etc. I have put some shu puer in it and it smells like the tea in there now. Now, I am in search of what all the symbols, etc. mean. Thanks all.

+ Post Reply