Jun 6th, '22, 09:28

Teapot looks slightly dull over time

by mesozoickara » Jun 6th, '22, 09:28

Hi!

So I've had the Adagio Harbin teapot (made of Qing Shui Ni clay reportedly) for about 6 months now for light roast oolong, but its my first unglazed teapot. I use it for multiple steepings in a sitting probably twice a month.

Lately i've notice the exterior of the pot has gotten a little... dull? It was never an over lustre-y finish but it seems more muted than before. Could this be calcium from the water? An inherent part of this clay type? Am I not 'feeding it' enough? Some other issue I don't know about?

Any guidance and suggestions for better care would be appreciated, thanks!

Jul 28th, '22, 16:33

Re: Teapot looks slightly dull over time

by BW85 » Jul 28th, '22, 16:33

mesozoickara wrote: Hi!

So I've had the Adagio Harbin teapot (made of Qing Shui Ni clay reportedly) for about 6 months now for light roast oolong, but its my first unglazed teapot. I use it for multiple steepings in a sitting probably twice a month.

Lately i've notice the exterior of the pot has gotten a little... dull? It was never an over lustre-y finish but it seems more muted than before. Could this be calcium from the water? An inherent part of this clay type? Am I not 'feeding it' enough? Some other issue I don't know about?

Any guidance and suggestions for better care would be appreciated, thanks!
You can lightly polish the pot with a soft cloth, especially when the pot it still warm from being filled with hot water. Should give the pot a glossy look, though will still be darker in color than when it was unused

+ Post Reply