Aug 9th, '22, 01:40

Question about teapots and heicha

by pamattey » Aug 9th, '22, 01:40

Hello!
I'm pretty new to clay teaware and I recently got three jianshui teapots. I previously had a questionable yixing teapot and i just didn't like the experience because i though it modified the tea too much for my taste, therefore i chose jianshui since it supposedly has a less aggressive effect on tea due to its lower porosity.
I decided to dedicate one of them to sheng pu'er, and i thought that the other two would be dedicated to fermented teas.
However, considering i would only drink shu pu'er, fu zhuan, and liu bao, my questions are:

¹Would it be ok to use one teapot for shu pu'er and fu zhuan?
²Would it be ok to maybe even include liu bao to the mix?
If none of these can be used in one teapot, ³which one benefits the most from a clay teapot? (besides shu pu'er).
i've read fu zhuan doesn't really benefit from clay compared to a good porcelain teapot. Is this true?
The other reason i'm wondering this is because, if there's no problem using one teapot for both (or all) fermented teas, then i would think to dedicate the third teapot to roasted oolongs, And even though i'm one of those who really enjoy the "roasted taste", i've read and heard many times that clay can tone that down and reveal many more subtle flavors from those teas (wouldn't the same happen over time? please let me know as well).

Thanks in advance :)

Aug 12th, '22, 15:35

Re: Question about teapots and heicha

by BW85 » Aug 12th, '22, 15:35

pamattey wrote: Hello!
I'm pretty new to clay teaware and I recently got three jianshui teapots. I previously had a questionable yixing teapot and i just didn't like the experience because i though it modified the tea too much for my taste, therefore i chose jianshui since it supposedly has a less aggressive effect on tea due to its lower porosity.
I decided to dedicate one of them to sheng pu'er, and i thought that the other two would be dedicated to fermented teas.
However, considering i would only drink shu pu'er, fu zhuan, and liu bao, my questions are:

¹Would it be ok to use one teapot for shu pu'er and fu zhuan?
²Would it be ok to maybe even include liu bao to the mix?
If none of these can be used in one teapot, ³which one benefits the most from a clay teapot? (besides shu pu'er).
i've read fu zhuan doesn't really benefit from clay compared to a good porcelain teapot. Is this true?
The other reason i'm wondering this is because, if there's no problem using one teapot for both (or all) fermented teas, then i would think to dedicate the third teapot to roasted oolongs, And even though i'm one of those who really enjoy the "roasted taste", i've read and heard many times that clay can tone that down and reveal many more subtle flavors from those teas (wouldn't the same happen over time? please let me know as well).

Thanks in advance :)
There is nothing wrong with using multiple teas in a pot. It's all preference. I have a pot that will drink shou, Liu bao and very mature wet stored Sheng.

It's best not to overthink. if a tea tastes good in the pot, use it

Aug 13th, '22, 22:42

Antique kyusu

by sarahz3 » Aug 13th, '22, 22:42

Hello, I recently found a kyusu at an antique store, and I wanted to know if it was of any value or if I can even drink out of it.
Here are the links to the pictures (on imgur)
https://imgur.com/wZshFbL
https://imgur.com/I7WGAGY
https://imgur.com/nlhvoHY

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

+ Post Reply