Aug 4th, '11, 22:25

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by tingjunkie » Aug 4th, '11, 22:25

Herb_Master wrote:
tingjunkie wrote: Thick walls are generally not as good for greener Anxi oolongs, and Dan Cong oolongs.
I keep hearing or reading this! :shock:
But though I get good results from my Chao Zhout pots from Imen
And though I get good results from my most expensive ultra thin Porcelain Gaiwans

Maybe they perform better with the very good value Dan Cong that I get from Dragon Tea House.

But with Imen's Private Stash, I get my best reults from some thickish walled cheap Zi Sha pots that I got for about $12 from ebay Zen8Tea
Exactly right Herb. :wink: That's why I used the term "generally" and why there is no (and will never be) a definitive formula for pot/tea pairing. Sometimes a pot with no pedigree or earthly reason to be a good performer is just awesome with a certain tea. It's good to keep an open mind and try different teas so these happy surprises can be discovered.

Aug 6th, '11, 11:46
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 6th, '11, 11:46

TokyoB wrote:Two Factory One "Please drink Chinese oolong tea" zisha teapots. The larger orange one with the sticker is 110ml and the smaller brown one is 90ml. I was told the orange one is from 1983 and the other one is 30+ years old.
The trade mark sticker (with a square and a circle) began to be used in 1987. And both of these pots have the sticker...
But they look nice anyway.

Aug 6th, '11, 13:26

by TokyoB » Aug 6th, '11, 13:26

gingkoseto wrote:
TokyoB wrote:Two Factory One "Please drink Chinese oolong tea" zisha teapots. The larger orange one with the sticker is 110ml and the smaller brown one is 90ml. I was told the orange one is from 1983 and the other one is 30+ years old.
The trade mark sticker (with a square and a circle) began to be used in 1987. And both of these pots have the sticker...
But they look nice anyway.
In fairness to the seller (very reputable teashop in Taipei) they may have said 1987 for the hong ni pot. I didn't write it down and I looked at many, many teapots on this trip so may have remembered incorrectly.

I am sure they said the zini pot is older. They originally brought it out to show me how the engraving is lighter on older pots. The older zini pot did not have a sticker. Chrl42 tells me that pot is more rare than the hong ni pot.

Aug 8th, '11, 13:07

by auhckw » Aug 8th, '11, 13:07

A local premium teashop here used to sell this custom brand teapot and it went out of stock quickly. They said they have some stock at Taiwan branch... so when they went and hand carried this back for me.

11th Dec 2010
Di Cao Qing - Shi Piao (130ml)

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 15#p181333

then
18th January 2011
broken :(
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 35#p185321

after few months of hard work repairing my teapot, I present to you the resurrected version. Can you spot the difference?

3rd August 2011
Di Cao Qing - Shi Piao (130ml)

More: http://imageshack.us/g/856/image001gaj.jpg/

They went to taiwan branch and got another unit for me. I am so happy to get this back. I'm lucky it didn't went out stock, cause in Taiwan people are still not much into teapots unlike here.
Last edited by auhckw on Aug 8th, '11, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 8th, '11, 13:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Aug 8th, '11, 13:52

auhckw wrote:I'm lucky it didn't went out stock, cause in Taiwan people are still not much into teapots unlike here.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:

Aug 8th, '11, 14:06

by auhckw » Aug 8th, '11, 14:06

brandon wrote:
auhckw wrote:I'm lucky it didn't went out stock, cause in Taiwan people are still not much into teapots unlike here.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:
That is what the teashop seller said about their teapots in Taiwan.

In Taiwan, their tea are sold much faster than Malaysia
In Malaysia, their teapots are sold much faster than Taiwan.

Aug 8th, '11, 14:22

by auhckw » Aug 8th, '11, 14:22

Teapot is new 2010 production. What makes it expensive? Because this tea shop is premium and specialized in getting high end artist teapots. They sell new artist teapots as expensive as MYR120k (USD 42k+) and people still buys it even before the teapot is made.

Last year, they have 17 teapots design commissioned by them. Each 15 to 20 units. All sold out very quickly. This year, their custom teapot is coming about October and this time they designed the mold themselves, lesser number of designs but more quantity with different types of clays.

The clay they used is claimed to be of good quality and pure... how true... I don't know... but 'experts' there are very much in liking of the shop's production.

In year 2009, they even get a famous artist to co-commissioned the teapots which was even more hit. I don't know the name of the artist but the people there said is one of the very famous.

I will try to get more coverage of their teapots in the future... I have seen many of their lesser expensive artist teapots which is very nice. Range can be MYR 2,000 (USD 714) to MYR 7,000 (USD 2500) for mid range. Totally out of my position to buy, but will take photo cause it is free :)

Aug 8th, '11, 16:37
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 8th, '11, 16:37

auhckw wrote:Teapot is new 2010 production. What makes it expensive? Because this tea shop is premium and specialized in getting high end artist teapots. They sell new artist teapots as expensive as MYR120k (USD 42k+) and people still buys it even before the teapot is made.

Last year, they have 17 teapots design commissioned by them. Each 15 to 20 units. All sold out very quickly. This year, their custom teapot is coming about October and this time they designed the mold themselves, lesser number of designs but more quantity with different types of clays.

The clay they used is claimed to be of good quality and pure... how true... I don't know... but 'experts' there are very much in liking of the shop's production.

In year 2009, they even get a famous artist to co-commissioned the teapots which was even more hit. I don't know the name of the artist but the people there said is one of the very famous.

I will try to get more coverage of their teapots in the future... I have seen many of their lesser expensive artist teapots which is very nice. Range can be MYR 2,000 (USD 714) to MYR 7,000 (USD 2500) for mid range. Totally out of my position to buy, but will take photo cause it is free :)
These are great new pots made by a Shanghai studio. Their replica of old pot are very beautiful and the clay is amazing... if we are talking about the same studio :roll:

Aug 10th, '11, 10:03

by auhckw » Aug 10th, '11, 10:03

Saw these at a teahops...

Artist teapots

Aug 10th, '11, 10:05

by auhckw » Aug 10th, '11, 10:05

Saw these at a teahops...

First Factory 80s/90s Cups - Zisha / Hongni on the outside. Inside glazed. Though glazed inside, the yixing smell on the outside needs to go away. Need to season these before using. Preferably to stick to 1 kind of tea. Workmanship not perfect. Quite rough.

*I bought 1 of this (110ml - water to the max)

Aug 11th, '11, 02:26

by Dingshu » Aug 11th, '11, 02:26

Since this is a thread on different Yixing ware, I thought I'd post this tea bowl and lid I bought a few years ago in Dingshu.

There was a misfired but somewhat intriguing piece in a shop; when I expressed some interest in it, the owner brought out this set, also misfired but not as mis-shaped as the one I first saw.

As you can see, it's potted very thin and fired inside and out with a crinkled and crusty outside skin that's got some rusty highlights and a slight reflection, and has a greyish inside. At first glance, it doesn't really look like Yixing ware.

According to the owner, he travels to a neighboring province once or twice a year where there are still some wood-burning kilns in the countryside to fire his better wares. (There's still a wood-burning kiln near Yixing, he and others said, but it's not fired very often and there's high demand for it.) Unusual results aren't rare with wood-burning kilns, and the result in one firing was this set. He said the set was fully hand-built.

(Being a natural sceptic, I don't necessarily believe everything I'm told in Yixing or anywhere else, but this was the owner's story; buyers should be aware that it's becoming common in China these days for shops to claim that modern art pottery of all types has been wood-fired, whether it has been or not, yet modern wood-fired pottery is in fact very rare.)

While the set doesn't look bad when shown separately, the bowl and lid expanded/shrunk differently in the kiln, and they no longer match in size. Indeed, the set looks a little sad when the lid's put on, as it sinks well into the bowl. It should be sitting proudly up there on the rim. So it really belongs with the kiln waste, I suppose.

Nonetheless, I like the set; the texture's unusual, and it changes appearance depending on the light. Of course, the set also makes a good conversation piece. Not that I'd ever pour tea into it, though.
Last edited by Dingshu on Aug 11th, '11, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 11th, '11, 03:01

by Herb_Master » Aug 11th, '11, 03:01

Very interesting pieces, do you know what clay it is?

Aug 11th, '11, 03:33

by Dingshu » Aug 11th, '11, 03:33

Anything I liked, at least half the shops seemed to claim it was 老泥 laoni, and that's probably what I was told about this, though I don't recall for certain.

I believe 老泥 laoni "old clay" can refer to either genuinely old clay -- very rare -- or modern clay that imitates the look of old clay, and this would be the latter.

Aug 11th, '11, 11:46

by Chip » Aug 11th, '11, 11:46

TreasureHunt Treasure 4 Clue 3 "Ceramics related to tea was from the beginning one of my focus. It came from my fascination of Japanese aesthetic rather than tea itself." (clue 2 was "Warsaw" clue 1 was "Electric Slide ... not quite")

:mrgreen: I think I will be splitting this topic ... creating a seperate topic for this melon pot discussion ...

... annnnnd DONE. "The Melon Yixing Pot discussion" topic is thusly labeled under Teaware and Accessories.

Aug 11th, '11, 12:38

by In search of truth » Aug 11th, '11, 12:38

Thank you Chip,excellent moderating.

I thought it had gone poof and been deleted.

Thanks again,

Vic

+ Post Reply