Jun 11th, '17, 13:51

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Ferg » Jun 11th, '17, 13:51

jayinhk wrote:
Ferg, that pot will be wonderful with roasty oolongs. It looks like my F1 zini shuipings from the 80s!
Thanks for the feedback Jay! Tempted to try it with other teas, but I may just dedicate it to roasted oolongs right off the bat as I've had two really nice sessions with it now. Even at almost 100ml, this thing feels so tiny compared to my Kyusu. To be honest, I have never been able to quite get over their tiny size in general, which I why I think I end up releasing these things in time. I told myself I wouldn't set this one on the shelf and forced myself to use it right out of the box. Trying to break that relationship Yixing and I have had thus far. Time will tell.

Have you referenced that F1 zini SP as one of your favorites over the past? Just trying to recall offhand.

Jun 11th, '17, 23:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 11th, '17, 23:54

Ferg wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Ferg, that pot will be wonderful with roasty oolongs. It looks like my F1 zini shuipings from the 80s!
Thanks for the feedback Jay! Tempted to try it with other teas, but I may just dedicate it to roasted oolongs right off the bat as I've had two really nice sessions with it now. Even at almost 100ml, this thing feels so tiny compared to my Kyusu. To be honest, I have never been able to quite get over their tiny size in general, which I why I think I end up releasing these things in time. I told myself I wouldn't set this one on the shelf and forced myself to use it right out of the box. Trying to break that relationship Yixing and I have had thus far. Time will tell.

Have you referenced that F1 zini SP as one of your favorites over the past? Just trying to recall offhand.
Ferg, I have on IG, but not on here I don't think! I have several in the same clay, as well as a few in neiziwaihong from the same period. Your pot looks darn good for an F2!

Jun 13th, '17, 16:20

by Zared » Jun 13th, '17, 16:20

William wrote:
Zared wrote: Unused peng gai shuiping from 40's. Scared to even use this as I fear I'll break it.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... dc5951.jpg
Zared, I know well how you feel :mrgreen: .. but teapots were meant to be used, so with extreme care and attention, go ahead and use it. Btw, nice SP, I like it!
The pot is up and running now. I've used it with YQH a few times so far. I suspect it's gonna take on a nice patina rather quickly.

Jun 13th, '17, 16:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 13th, '17, 16:45

Zared wrote:
William wrote:
Zared wrote: Unused peng gai shuiping from 40's. Scared to even use this as I fear I'll break it.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... dc5951.jpg
Zared, I know well how you feel :mrgreen: .. but teapots were meant to be used, so with extreme care and attention, go ahead and use it. Btw, nice SP, I like it!
The pot is up and running now. I've used it with YQH a few times so far. I suspect it's gonna take on a nice patina rather quickly.
Waaa, so happy! Yes, it should definitely become glossy rather quickly!

How big is that cutie, Zared?

Jun 16th, '17, 13:35

by Zared » Jun 16th, '17, 13:35

Its 90ml up to rim but functionally it's about 80ml since I try and avoid too much overflow when putting lid on.

Jun 24th, '17, 11:09

by William » Jun 24th, '17, 11:09

A recent acquisition. Hongni type clay, porous but well fired. R.O.C. period.
One of the few I ever found with a good lid fit .. it had to be mine! :D
Approximately 70 ml.

Jun 24th, '17, 12:29

by victoria3 » Jun 24th, '17, 12:29

William wrote: A recent acquisition. Hongni type clay, porous but well fired. R.O.C. period.
One of the few I ever found with a good lid fit .. it had to be mine! :D
Approximately 70 ml.
Wow very beautifully proportioned piece William. The aesthetics are top top.
How do you grab the lid though, is it missing a knob or the sides extend to grab?

Jun 24th, '17, 12:41

by William » Jun 24th, '17, 12:41

victoria3 wrote: Wow very beautifully proportioned piece William. The aesthetics are top top.
How do you grab the lid though, is it missing a knob or the sides extend to grab?
Thank you for your kind words Victoria!

The knob is that small circular part just above the lid. It is typically small, albeit I don't really know the reason. The lid can be easily grabbed by the sides .. the real problem is the knob itself, it becomes really hot when boiling water is used! Fortunately, I have been told how to overcome this small issue! :D

Jun 24th, '17, 13:26

by victoria3 » Jun 24th, '17, 13:26

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Wow very beautifully proportioned piece William. The aesthetics are top top.
Thank you for your kind words Victoria!

The knob is that small circular part just above the lid. It is typically small, albeit I don't really know the reason. The lid can be easily grabbed by the sides .. the real problem is the knob itself, it becomes really hot when boiling water is used! Fortunately, I have been told how to overcome this small issue! :D
Please continue :D mittens?

Jun 24th, '17, 18:42

by Zared » Jun 24th, '17, 18:42

That's a nice pot! Not hard to see why you had to have it. 70ml is prob one of my favorite sizes for solo drinking.

What's with the tiny handle on some of these older pots? My latest pot has one too.

Jun 25th, '17, 07:04

by William » Jun 25th, '17, 07:04

Zared wrote: That's a nice pot! Not hard to see why you had to have it. 70ml is prob one of my favorite sizes for solo drinking.

What's with the tiny handle on some of these older pots? My latest pot has one too.
Some shapes during the late Qing and R.O.C. period were often made with small handles. I think we can trace the reason down to one thing: what was considered fashionable at the time. For the same reason some shapes commanded the so called cannon spouts, or those rare example always from that period, where the Hongni clay was mixed with big sand/clay particles in order to give the teapots an interesting texture, etc.

Jun 30th, '17, 03:44

by Aya » Jun 30th, '17, 03:44

Hello! I've been reading this forum (especially this thread) for a while, but joined only recently.

This is my latest acquisition from an antique shop in a small town in northern Japan. It is said to be stored in a storehouse for years.

Clay: Zhuni 朱泥
Size: 150cc
Thickness: Thick

It came with an old wooden box, wrapped in a fancy cloth and was very dirty - there were black stains all over. I thought they were mold, but even after rubbing with soft toothbrush with cleanser, melamine sponge, soaked in breach for hours then slowly boiled in kettle with tea leaves then left for hours x 3 times, there are still black stains here and there, especially inside the spout. It made me think they were actually sumi (Chinese/Japanese calligraphy cake ink) because small yixing teapots had been sometimes used as jugs...

It doesn't smell dirt, mold or bleach and nothing wrong in the brewed Dancong, but I feel a bit hesitant to use it.

Does anyone have similar experience? What did you do with your old teapot?

Any comment/guess of the year/shape name (thought 潘壺) of this teapot is also welcome!
Attachments
20170630_Chafu1.jpg
20170630_Chafu1.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
20170630_Chafu2.jpg
20170630_Chafu2.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
20170630_Chafu3.jpg
20170630_Chafu3.jpg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 1123 times

Jul 4th, '17, 19:31

by VoirenTea » Jul 4th, '17, 19:31

Here are my pots.

The larger one was an Amazon gift so is some random clay. I've been using it for a year for absolutely everything. 140ml, though I usually have more like 80ml water in it. I like the wide shape and the large opening. 7 hole filter, haven't timed the pour but it seems reasonably fast.

The smaller pot is from Adventure in Every Cup, and was listed as an 80s Yixing 'Xi Fang' pot. It is 60ml, has one hole and pours more slowly (and gets clogged easily). I have only used it for 2007 sheng so far - did a side-by-side test in the two and found no real differences in taste right now. (I was mostly concerned if the first pot was doing anything bad - seems not).

Overhead:

The Xi Fang pot details:

Let me know if the lid mark is upside down as I took one the other way round too.

Amazon pot marks, just for completeness' sake!

ETA: I should have said, on getting the Xi Fang pot, the first thing that struck me was how much more delicate it is! That teeny taper on the handle and the thinness and sharpness of the spout. It's hard to judge from a photo of it on its own.

Jul 8th, '17, 14:35

by williammimi70 » Jul 8th, '17, 14:35

Unused Yixing teapot
Newly acquired
275mls
Attachments
f1 (3 of 5) (Medium).jpg
f1 (3 of 5) (Medium).jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 980 times
f1 (4 of 5) (Medium).jpg
f1 (4 of 5) (Medium).jpg (23.82 KiB) Viewed 980 times
f1 (5 of 5) (Medium).jpg
f1 (5 of 5) (Medium).jpg (37.04 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Jul 17th, '17, 11:51

by williammimi70 » Jul 17th, '17, 11:51

Just bought back from Paris
Volume: 325mls
Not sure what the mark says but was reassured that it is antique by the seller.
Attachments
paris (269 of 272) (Medium) (2).jpg
paris (269 of 272) (Medium) (2).jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 826 times
paris (270 of 272) (Medium).jpg
paris (270 of 272) (Medium).jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 826 times
paris (272 of 272) (Medium).jpg
paris (272 of 272) (Medium).jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 826 times

+ Post Reply