Mar 28th, '13, 18:19

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by futurebird » Mar 28th, '13, 18:19

I love the way that pot has aged, but I thought it was more green, or do I have it confused with another?

Mar 28th, '13, 18:25

by tingjunkie » Mar 28th, '13, 18:25

Not sure. It changes in green-ness depending on the lighting conditions.

Mar 28th, '13, 23:28

by bagua7 » Mar 28th, '13, 23:28

Maitre_Tea wrote:Maybe it's just me, but in the fourth photo of that SampleTea Ben Shan Mou Ni the handle doesn't seem to be completely straight.
The bodhi tree doesn't grow in a straight line:

Yoda's back wasn't too straight either but he was a wise one, wasn't he? :mrgreen:

Yixing pots are no much different. Each with their own 'little' personalities.

Mar 29th, '13, 05:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Mar 29th, '13, 05:33

Two yixing pots from home:

The hongni pot is about 90ml, used for roasted oolongs. The larger zisha pot is about 150ml for puer (new). The hongni pot has developed some patina.

Mar 29th, '13, 09:35

by futurebird » Mar 29th, '13, 09:35

Nice pair, the color of the larger one has been proving quite hard to find. Not brown, but the lighter browns. There is something very beautiful about a set of teapots with the same shape but different colors of clay and sizes and textures.

They have the look of a diverse family when bunched together.

Mar 29th, '13, 11:06
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 29th, '13, 11:06

the_economist wrote:Two yixing pots from home:

The hongni pot is about 90ml, used for roasted oolongs. The larger zisha pot is about 150ml for puer (new). The hongni pot has developed some patina.
Love the old bamboo. Very nice. T

Mar 29th, '13, 15:21

by amaranto » Mar 29th, '13, 15:21

I really like the zisha pot, the_economist. It has a very attractive weathered kind of look, and the bamboo looks great.

Mar 29th, '13, 20:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Mar 29th, '13, 20:47

Thanks all, I hope it picks up some shine soon.

Mar 29th, '13, 20:53

by tenuki » Mar 29th, '13, 20:53

the_economist wrote:Two yixing pots from home:
Love that hongni - I have a slightly smaller one 50ml I think in the exact same shape - waiting for that lovely patina to show up on mine. I use it for yencha and roasted oolong too. :)

Mar 29th, '13, 20:54

by tenuki » Mar 29th, '13, 20:54

bagua7 wrote:
Maitre_Tea wrote:Maybe it's just me, but in the fourth photo of that SampleTea Ben Shan Mou Ni the handle doesn't seem to be completely straight.
The bodhi tree doesn't grow in a straight line:
Perfect!

Mar 30th, '13, 02:27

by yalokinh » Mar 30th, '13, 02:27

futurebird wrote:Image

:D :D :D

My order from sampletea.com came today. I'm very impressed with their samples, they are carefully wrapped and include a photo what the whole bing looks like so if you want to hunt it down later you can. Also, the teacups and pots were packed with great care. I bought this teapot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... -cups-40ml

Some of the pots I bought before said that were 40ml, but this one is much smaller! (maybe the ebay sellers don't fill their pots to the brim when the measure them?) Still, I like it. I always wonder if I paid too much, but it's a color and size that I don't have in my collection yet and it has no issues-- the walls are thicker than I thought they would be, but this isn't such a bad thing. Small pots can be tough to keep warm.

I wonder if this other pot from them which is 5 times the price is fives times as good?

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... eapot-40ml

I'm almost tempted to find out... like I said, they did such a good job packing everything (each item in it's own little hard plastic box or metal tin) and labeling everything... (I have perfect labels to paste in to my tea-journal, see the sample box in the photo) -- that it inspires some confidence. I like this company.

The workmanship on the more expensive pot looks finer for certain. Hmmmmmm...but is it worth it??

Now for the cups:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1970s- ... eacup-60ml

The walls of this cup were thicker than I'd hoped. But, it will get lots of use since it's a nice color and vintage. Don't know if I'd buy more at this price.

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1970s- ... eacup-30ml

This cup is very delicate and almost looks hand-painted. It's a steal at $3. perfect for tastings. (shown in the photo filled with tea)

The tea in the photo is great, by the way. An aged puerh with a very "old" taste.
I bought this same pot. How is the lid fit, pour, smell, craftmanship?
Got plenty of chaozhou, glass pots, and gaiwans, but this will be my first actuall yixing pot

Apr 1st, '13, 13:25

Re: A different kind of Yixing pot thread... and Show-off!

by futurebird » Apr 1st, '13, 13:25

Maitre_Tea wrote:*This is a most dangerous thread...and it will seriously test my will to resist temptations*

Even though we all want to see the "best" pots we have to offer, it's also important to show what mistakes we've made so we can come to terms with the fact that we all have to pay tuition of some kind...

These are just a few of the crappy slip-cast pots I picked up in China...at the price of about $7 USD each. I obviously overpaid. These represent some of the worst pots I have ever seen.

Clay: Duan Ni of some kind? "rings" a creepy and off-putting metallic sound
Size: Approx 300 ml
Age/Year: Modern-modern
Walls: Medium
Pour: decent, but the lid fit is terrible and when I put my finger over the water spout it doesn't do anything! Some of these don't even have water spouts!
Source: Shanghai, China
Tea Pairing: None at the moment. I had bought eight of these thinking I could have all my bases covered...but once I got my hands on some quality pots (once I was back in the states, ironically), these were never used again. I keep them as only a warning to myself and to others: never rush too fast. For the amount I paid for these pots I could've gotten a decent older pot.

PS: I'll be in the city from 2/3-2/7. When do you all usually meet? Some night during the week would be great, but Friday night would be great as well. I'm planning to troll through all of Thursday and Friday (while the friends I'm crashing with are at work) in Chinatown for tea ware...mostly new/"antique" porcelain, but I would love to find a yixing like yours!

This is quitte old, but I think it's *really* useful to see tuition pots and to find out why the owner considers them to be such. Wish we had more of this.

Apr 1st, '13, 21:02

by bagua7 » Apr 1st, '13, 21:02

Personally I do not consider anything a tuition pot as long as it is a real Yixing. Find a tea that the pot will like and then it will no longer keep such title.

Apr 2nd, '13, 04:20

by GARCH » Apr 2nd, '13, 04:20

My first Yixing pot! Supposedly an 80s half handmade pot made using Qing Shui Ni. Medium flow rate with no drips from lid. Cost me around 110USD.

Bottom

Inside of pot

Underside of lid (Color is off)

Pot itself

Illegible chop

Would love to get some input on the clay and the stamp mark which I cannot really make out. Does it say 四意小品?

A close up of the clay http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8403/8611 ... 2e5b_h.jpg
and the chop
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8540/8611 ... e6d5_h.jpg

Apr 2nd, '13, 23:02

by bagua7 » Apr 2nd, '13, 23:02

Congrats for your first pot. Very nice, it should brew excellent tea.

Enjoy!

+ Post Reply