Sep 4th, '14, 23:40

Re: Yixing Repair... American Style

by tingjunkie » Sep 4th, '14, 23:40

As long as you were careful to not leave extra epoxy exposed (leaking out of the crack), then the smell should go away after a use or two. Or, you can boil it.

Sep 5th, '14, 00:32

by Tead Off » Sep 5th, '14, 00:32

I'm curious if anyone has tried masterbond epoxy? What color does it dry to? Sounds easier and better than JB Weld. No mixing, fast drying, food grade, high heat resistant.

Sep 5th, '14, 16:22

by Hmm » Sep 5th, '14, 16:22

tingjunkie wrote:As long as you were careful to not leave extra epoxy exposed (leaking out of the crack), then the smell should go away after a use or two. Or, you can boil it.
Some of it was still exposed, because I didn't have all the pieces to a cracked lid. Even if the epoxy is exposed, it's still safe right? I scraped a lot of the excess epoxy part off with a metal pick, but I can't get it all off.

I'll try to boil it and see what happens.

Sep 5th, '14, 16:34

by Hmm » Sep 5th, '14, 16:34

Tead Off wrote:I'm curious if anyone has tried masterbond epoxy? What color does it dry to? Sounds easier and better than JB Weld. No mixing, fast drying, food grade, high heat resistant.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's easy to get your hands on. Looks like you have to call the company and contact a representative, and perhaps try to get a sample.

Nov 2nd, '14, 23:48

by tingjunkie » Nov 2nd, '14, 23:48

Just came across this product tonight... http://sugru.com/

Looks interesting. Maybe if they release a metallic gold version...

Nov 6th, '14, 01:49

by demonyc » Nov 6th, '14, 01:49

tingjunkie wrote:Just came across this product tonight... http://sugru.com/

Looks interesting. Maybe if they release a metallic gold version...
Nice find! One problem with this though, it might not be able to go as thin as we would need it. The master bond seems like a good option too, but maybe a bit hard to find. My mom's boyfriend repaired a broken kyusu lid of mine with a very thick layer of silicone epoxy, and the bond itself is holding well, but the excess seems to flake off bit by bit when steam gets in contact with the lid. Good thing it has a metal filter! :!:

Jun 9th, '17, 19:17

by Hislifeinyou » Jun 9th, '17, 19:17

So adding to this list...

Just enough glue to mend the pieces, not enough to make it through the cracks. I was just simply too stuck on this gaiwan.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... f9e680.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply