Apr 30th, '17, 17:16

Re: Yixing Stickers

by Zared » Apr 30th, '17, 17:16

MmBuddha wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
MmBuddha wrote: Haha, well I'm pretty sure these must be from the same batch. Mine is also from a 'local NYC teashop' (though not local to me). Is yours also 55-60ml? The lid fit is not exactly superb but mines been brewing nice tea so far, and the size seems perfect. Have you had a chance to compare this Factory 1 hong-ni to older clays? I've heard many say it can't compare to green label or earlier Factory 1 hong-ni, but it seemed a good choice considering the kind of modern clay I'd find for an equivalent price.
So which is the 'local NYC shop' ?
It was Fang Gourmet Tea.
+1 lid is is pretty bad on mine too. They usually have a couple vintage 40-70ml shui pings. They're have a thicker 70ml one with 88 stamp that works well with sheng. With they had some bigger ones though.

Apr 30th, '17, 17:18

by victoria3 » Apr 30th, '17, 17:18

Zared wrote:
MmBuddha wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
MmBuddha wrote: Haha, well I'm pretty sure these must be from the same batch. Mine is also from a 'local NYC teashop' (though not local to me). Is yours also 55-60ml? The lid fit is not exactly superb but mines been brewing nice tea so far, and the size seems perfect. Have you had a chance to compare this Factory 1 hong-ni to older clays? I've heard many say it can't compare to green label or earlier Factory 1 hong-ni, but it seemed a good choice considering the kind of modern clay I'd find for an equivalent price.
So which is the 'local NYC shop' ?
It was Fang Gourmet Tea.
+1 lid is is pretty bad on mine too. They usually have a couple vintage 40-70ml shui pings. They're have a thicker 70ml one with 88 stamp that works well with sheng. With they had some bigger ones though.
Will visit shop on my next visit to the city. Never been to Flushing except driving thru.

May 1st, '17, 01:25

by LouPepe » May 1st, '17, 01:25

Unrelated to the sticker topic, but may be of interest to some. Just received a private order pot from EoT and must say the clay is of great quality. Better than any "late" F1 zini, or other factory zini pots I've seen from that era. The firing is a bit lower than ideal (ringing true to the dragon kiln claim), but given the clay and tea pairing I don't think it'll be a great issue.

The Di Cao Qing clay is soft and beautiful. Showing most of the ideal traits of its kind. Compared to the modern DCQ pots I've seen, there is hardly no comparison. If anybody wants some legit clay at a still affordable price, most of those private orders should deliver.

May 1st, '17, 14:27

by victoria3 » May 1st, '17, 14:27

LouPepe wrote: Unrelated to the sticker topic, but may be of interest to some. Just received a private order pot from EoT and must say the clay is of great quality. Better than any "late" F1 zini, or other factory zini pots I've seen from that era. The firing is a bit lower than ideal (ringing true to the dragon kiln claim), but given the clay and tea pairing I don't think it'll be a great issue.

The Di Cao Qing clay is soft and beautiful. Showing most of the ideal traits of its kind. Compared to the modern DCQ pots I've seen, there is hardly no comparison. If anybody wants some legit clay at a still affordable price, most of those private orders should deliver.
Good to know this. What will you pair yours with? I have 3 EoT late 80s F1 pots; 2 that are perfect in every way (via ferg) a Hongni & a Nei Zhi Wai Hong, and another pot that was my 1st Hongni yixing with a very loose top that drips all over the place if I'm not careful.

May 1st, '17, 21:28

by LouPepe » May 1st, '17, 21:28

victoria3 wrote:
LouPepe wrote: Unrelated to the sticker topic, but may be of interest to some. Just received a private order pot from EoT and must say the clay is of great quality. Better than any "late" F1 zini, or other factory zini pots I've seen from that era. The firing is a bit lower than ideal (ringing true to the dragon kiln claim), but given the clay and tea pairing I don't think it'll be a great issue.

Good to know this. What will you pair yours with? I have 3 EoT late 80s F1 pots; 2 that are perfect in every way (via ferg) a Hongni & a Nei Zhi Wai Hong, and another pot that was my 1st Hongni yixing with a very loose top that drips all over the place if I'm not careful.
Going to start with punchy, hearty young shengs. Then as it gets seasoned I'll likely throw in more delicate ones in the mix. In contrast to a zhuni I use which has performed similarly since I first started using it, the evolution of the di cao qing should be much much broader (even more so than zi- qingshui/pin).

I have quite a few sheng pots because that's most of what I drink. I like to have pots that perform differently because not every sheng is the same. Why have 5 pots of the same clay for 1 kind of tea? :lol:

PS I have one of those leaky F1 hongnis I use for young shengs and it's dandy. If zhuni is on one end and zini on the other, hongni is a nice mid-way point. There is less thought put into the pairing when I use that pot. But doesn't mean I will get a better cup most of the time.

Nov 12th, '17, 17:01

by Aquarama » Nov 12th, '17, 17:01

I recently bought my first F1 pot and I was told by the vendor that people usually keep the stickers on their pots. I usually pour warm water on the outside (and inside) of my pots to warm them up before brewing at temperature. Should I avoid doing this on my F1 pot to preserve the sticker?

Nov 12th, '17, 18:49

by Zared » Nov 12th, '17, 18:49

Aquarama wrote: I recently bought my first F1 pot and I was told by the vendor that people usually keep the stickers on their pots. I usually pour warm water on the outside (and inside) of my pots to warm them up before brewing at temperature. Should I avoid doing this on my F1 pot to preserve the sticker?
Congrats! They're good pots.

Hmm just peel it off and use pot. The only time keeping stickers on makes sense is if your not planing on actually using it and just collecting them. Honestly Ive never heard of a single person keeping them on so I'd be a little skeptical about authenticity of said pot.

Nov 12th, '17, 19:17

by Aquarama » Nov 12th, '17, 19:17

Zared wrote:
Aquarama wrote: I recently bought my first F1 pot and I was told by the vendor that people usually keep the stickers on their pots. I usually pour warm water on the outside (and inside) of my pots to warm them up before brewing at temperature. Should I avoid doing this on my F1 pot to preserve the sticker?

Hmm just peel it off and use pot. The only time keeping stickers on makes sense is if your not planing on actually using it and just collecting them. Honestly Ive never heard of a single person keeping them on so I'd be a little skeptical about authenticity of said pot.
I bought it from Fang Tea. It supposedly a new late 80s early 90s pot. Is Fang not a good source?

Nov 12th, '17, 20:21

by Zared » Nov 12th, '17, 20:21

Aquarama wrote:
Zared wrote:

I bought it from Fang Tea. It supposedly a new late 80s early 90s pot. Is Fang not a good source?
I've bought a few of their pots. They're legit F1. I find it odd that they would tell you people leave the stickers on. Maybe it's more common in Asia? Idk but either way it would eventually fall off and prob leave an uneven patina.

Which one did you get? I've owned a few from them. The slightly thicker 60ml hong ni w/ 88 under lid is killer for aged dry/natural sheng. Mine started to shine after a few months of heavy use.

Nov 19th, '19, 06:51

by Mark-S » Nov 19th, '19, 06:51

What do you think about these stickers? They look like fakes to me, but I am new to this topic and would like to learn more about it. :-) 3 different tea cups I found online (Russia, Spain and Germany) had this stickers attached. They are definitely not new, but I do not know how old they are.

49687168_26069028-02.jpeg
49687168_26069028-02.jpeg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Screenshot_20191119-041024-02.jpeg
s-l1600(16)-01.jpeg
s-l1600(16)-01.jpeg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Nov 19th, '19, 09:54

by Zared » Nov 19th, '19, 09:54

Mark-S wrote: What do you think about these stickers? They look like fakes to me, but I am new to this topic and would like to learn more about it. :-) 3 different tea cups I found online (Russia, Spain and Germany) had this stickers attached. They are definitely not new, but I do not know how old they are.

49687168_26069028-02.jpeg
Screenshot_20191119-041024-02.jpeg
s-l1600(16)-01.jpeg
Not an authentic sticker. This one is commonly found on low quality modern pots.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/teapot2 ... 765635519/

Nov 19th, '19, 12:32

by Mark-S » Nov 19th, '19, 12:32

Zared wrote: Not an authentic sticker. This one is commonly found on low quality modern pots.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/teapot2 ... 765635519/
Thanks a lot, that's a very helpful article about the different labels. :)

For future reference:

"After the Green Label, we continue to discuss the label after that, which is the White Label period. The White Label period, also known as the 4 edge label, is used by Factory 1 after 1987, on the label is the Chinese characters of "Fang Yuan Brand/方圆牌" and "Yixing China 紫砂/Zi Sha". There are at least 4 types of White Label era stickers, with differences in color, some under the Fang Yuan Brand characters there is a white line, for some there isnt. The material of label is paper with a lamination of plastic over it, and over time, this plastic layer can dehisce. The earliest White Label, the Fang Yuan Brand words are pure white, which gave rise to the name White Label. After that, there are also words printed in metal colors, silver white, or golden yellow."

+ Post Reply